The "We Still Control Our Own Destiny" Game: RSL at Seattle, Sun. 23 Oct. 2 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the past six weeks I've been reading the same message from the FO on social media: we still control our own destiny. And that's true, we do, as we have for the past three losses and past three ties when the destiny we controlled was whether we'd compete for the Supporter's Shield or not. Now off we go to Seattle, where they control their own destiny, too, and where we have three points in our last six, they have thirteen, and where we have one own(ish) goal in that time, they have nine.

But we control our own destiny!

I expect us to be the ESPN game that day.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we burn something or drip blood somewhere to make this a positive result for us? Ugh I hate these nail biting last ditch efforts!

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope we are the game of the day. So this organization can't hide behind anything when we get embarrassed. I have zero faith in this team doing anything in this game in terms of offense. Our D has been more tight lately, but it's all for naught if you can't score.

The XI I would roll out
    Nicky
    Tony Schuler Glad Phillips
    Sunny KB
    Plata Javi Allen
    Olmes

Bench: Lalo, Olave, Wingert, Luke, Stertzer, Burrito, Yura

4. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 (own) goal in the last 6(?) games is a great way to control our destiny. I may be going to see the finale of this train wreck.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to go. It depends on whether or not my daughter will be competing in a regatta this weekend or not.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last goal RSL actually scored was that screamer from Burrito to draw the game against LA.
    September 7th.

derekmiles26 repped this.
  7. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am reading the table right, a win or tie will keep RSL in the playoffs for sure. If Seattle, Portland, and SKC all win then RSL is out. If RSL ties, then their playoff position is determined by how SKC and Portland finish. It is possible for RSL to finish in either 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th.

Part of me still wants to choke through the phrase....Go Sounders. RSL's finish to this season is pathetic and I don't want to see "we made the playoffs" as the propaganda is spewed forth to say the season was a success.

SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would RSL be on ESPN when there are probably more entertaining games being played? Too bad they don't have a MLS version of NFL RedZone where you could see the action in all ten games at the same time.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a possibility that RSL wakes up and crushes Seattle, thus making them worthy of a playoff run.

Still I don't want the team to miss the playoffs just so the heads will roll. DLH will still be here regardless and I don't see him changing the guard too much even if Waibel/Cassar were asked to vacate.

11. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 RoyalNonesuch, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Vacate the stage
    Vacate your bowels
    Our future is bleak
    Our acronym has no vowels

Prediction: Seattle wins 3-1 but Portland loses so RSL gets the sixth seed so they can lose in Seattle again next week. Then we can hear about 2017 being tremendous progress.

Schuler gives me the most hope right now - how crazy is that?

12. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want RSL to lose just so I don't torture myself by watching the playoff game. This team is agony to watch atm.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one game suddenly undoes 6 straight terrible ones?
    Can I have what you're drinking, please?

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  14. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

TheBiff, Ivensor, DrownedElf and 4 others repped this.
  15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A playoff run shouldn't be above last on anyone's list of expectations. There is no compelling argument to expect anything but one and done. A victory against Seattle will not change that.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just won't accept the idea of wanting my team to lose, no matter what. Especially when it won't mean anything this offseason. This isn't the NFL or NBA where if you purposely loose you get some golden draft pick. I think the koolaid drinking goes to those who think meaningful change will happen if we missed the playoffs, again.

This team will just come back next year, one year older.

I'd rather they get a chance at the playoffs, even if it's one and done.

Ivensor, RSLer, The Franchise and 2 others repped this.
  17. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Missing the playoffs does mean more Garber bucks. So it doesn't get a golden draft pick, but could improve the team. Of course that would only be good if you could figure out how to use them effectively, which I'm not confident the team will.

15 to 32 and acima repped this.
  18. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So Matt Gaschk and RSL have put together the handy crib sheet for determining the 'when' and 'what seed' chart - http://www.rsl.com/post/2016/10/17/27-playoff-scenarios-real-salt-lake-and-west

So there's 1 scenario out of the 27 combinations where RSL could miss the playoffs - basically that means RSL's odds are 99% to miss based on recent form. But since Uncle Deloy has offered Caesar (you know him, Phills' friend of Plato and Yuri) an extension that none of us seem in favor of - the odds flip again back to 99% they'll make the playoffs and Caesar will be back in 2017. All hail Caesar!

19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it once will say it again, as long as we fill the seats their really is not much pressure on ownership making any big moves.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    that is a pretty reasonable analysis. 6th place... limping into the playoffs...

I want our team to be competitive in the future, more than I want to win 1 game now. This hurts to type. But I want Portland to win (well that wasnt that hard, its the next two coming up). I want Seattle to win. (hefty grimace). I want .. ..... SKC... to win.... (that took me 5 minutes to write the last one. teeth gritted. I so thoroughly dislike Dwyer and the whole lot of them. Awful)

22. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you are going overboard on the embratsu.

Wait, there's never too much EMBRATSU! Hit it, DJ Pon-3!
    [​IMG]

SenordrummeR2 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embratsu has failed us this year.

24. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did it? Or did we fail it instead?

Look in your hearts, RSL fans. Even if you want a new coach, or roster changes, or a different formation, did you remember to enjoy yourselves? Even if you aren't renewing your season tickets next season or went to fewer games than usual because you don't want the FO to assume all is well, did you still have fun when you attended or watched on television, even when... nay, especially when the team struggles? If you were once one to EMBRATSU, do you feel so now?

RoyalNonesuch and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not one to buy $9 beers, but I've been extremely tempted to over the last few months.

Practically everything went wrong leading up to the game, I should've taken it as a sign. I started off most of the day feeling very light-headed, and had a hard time forcing myself to eat before the game. Then for whatever reason, they cut the freeway down to 2 lanes, despite not having any construction. It delayed us to the point that we were almost late getting in, and were lucky kickoff was nearly 3:30. For some random reason, my shorts decided to set off the metal detector, despite never setting them off all season. Then, the guy scanning tickets almost didn't let me in because I only bring the barcode portion of the ticket, knowing full well that it's ok and has been all season. Despite all of this, we manage to be walking down the stairs to our seats during the anthem, and manage to barely be on time. I was really hopeful that it was going to be a good sign since we wound up being on time. Boy was I mistaken.

For this weekend, as much as I want Portland to win, I feel like they'll be the ones to ruin it. I see both Seattle and SKC winning, so we'll be relying on Portland to determine our faith. Either way, I don't see us somehow making a playoff run even if we get in.