The Wayne Rooney Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what happened to your Captain America avatar?

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exacto.

The one area where the MLS is unlikely to be easier than the EPL is the physical side.

barroldinho and Amdrag repped this.
  3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He would need to play on a team that either dominates possession or doesn't care about that and plays on the break. In a high chance creating team, he will thrive because he would still bag the goals. In a low chance creating team (provided they dominated the ball) he could rest off the ball and "link". I haven't watched mos in a while but it can't be that Wayne isn't technical enough for the league.

J'can repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agree - he still has the movement to get in good positions and technique to score

Like RvP - those are the last things to go

johno repped this.
  5. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Finally! He's basically officially said he's leaving. He's just deciding where. We're likely going to let him leave on a free.

8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That would be a big victory for this regime.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  10. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    It's well past the time for him to go; I hope he's smart enough to know that and go tell everyone he decided to stay.

If/when he goes, what's everyone guess on where he might end up?
    Is Everton really that dumb to take him back (even on a free)? He will be a big distraction plus he won't be contribute that much on the field. Other PL clubs?
    MLS ? Not sure which team want or needs him.
    China? Some team might take him just because of who he is, but I don't see him going there myself.

11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Would they really want him back? It's not like the fans have ever expressed any understanding or forgiveness about his original departure. They might even resent him sniffing around, looking for a gig now that he's no longer good enough for United.
    There are some but it's a case of where would he be prepared to go? AEG (LA Galaxy's owners) apparently had terse words for the club after Steven Gerrard's tenure. It seems that (thankfully) it wasn't enough for them that he sold tickets and merchandise. He didn't deliver on the field. Given that the new management team haven't covered themselves in glory thus far, Rooney runs the risk of panning out the same, so I'd think they'll steer clear.

NYRB have had their flirtation with big name players and have found that they've been more successful without them.

Diet Man City of New York have their names in place, so probably won't have space for him.

LAFC might be an option but don't start playing until 2018.

Toronto, Seattle, Orlando and SKC all have a full compliment of DPs that are serving them very well right now.

I actually think this is the most likely. They're throwing ludicrous amounts of money at players, some of which barely register as big names. I can see him sticking it out for a season or two if the price is right and as you say, his name will likely ramp up the attention again, now that the shock value of paying the likes of Alex Teixeira $150k a week has died down.

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How about Newcastle? Biggish club just promoted maybe needing some Prem experience?

14. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I believe one of his quotes said he would only play for 2 teams in the EPL, being Everton and United

16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is also the guy who put in, not one, but two transfer requests.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He likely said that because he plays for us currently and Everton have sniffed to see if they can get him for free or cheap and nobody else wants him.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's not gone yet? Ugh, I'll check back later.

JC7rox and Gilma1990 repped this.
  19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He wont go, none will pay his salary.

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We will obviously forego any transfer fee, but is like the RVP / Schweini situations.

Think we paid up RVP to go, Schweini a bit harder to read (says he decided to forego his full salary - whatever you can read into that).

Sure, players have power but hopefully Ed will have learned something from these situations and not give older players long-term contracts.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    dunno if it was posted previously but he is apparently not accepting a pay cut (can't find the source atm)

he said he has "decided" his future so if both statements are true the outcomes are he goes to China or he stays put. i fear it would likely be the latter

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    China move probably most likely to be advice from his agent (the lovely Paul Stretford) as a China move most likely source of the biggest agency commission. Plus with all the litigation and splits Stretfords current agency only seems to have the one big name footballer on their books.

Colleen will likely be making the counter argument of seeing out his contract or switching to Everton to stay in North-West around family / home / schools etc.

My money would be on Colleen ...

I suspect he stays with us. If Everton struggle in the transfer market with other options they may go for a late bid and we may have to pay partial salary pay-off to account for wage difference.

23. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd pay him off just to get him the ******** out of here. The football is bad enough, but the symbolism of him still lagging around this squad while we are trying to enter a new chapter as a club, when even his national team has tossed him aside, is too much.

MizzouMUFC and jeff070 repped this.
  24. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's MLS or United for this season it seems. Everton won't pay his wages and he won't take a pay cut.