The War on Voting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #2901 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Bump...

Recent pre & post electoral developments in NC put it on par with authoritarian states such as Cuba, Indonesia & (GASP!) Iran according to researchers. By their metrics NC would not even be considered a fully-functioning democracy. :eek:

In 2005, in the midst of a career of traveling around the world to help set up elections in some of the most challenging places on earth – Afghanistan, Burma, Egypt, Lebanon, South Africa, Sudan and Yemen, among others – my Danish colleague, Jorgen Elklit, and I designed the first comprehensive method for evaluating the quality of elections around the world. Our system measured 50 moving parts of an election process and covered everything from the legal framework to the polling day and counting of ballots.

In 2012 Elklit and I worked with Pippa Norris of Harvard University, who used the system as the cornerstone of the Electoral Integrity Project. Since then the EIP has measured 213 elections in 153 countries and is widely agreed to be the most accurate method for evaluating how free and fair and democratic elections are across time and place.

When we evolved the project I could never imagine that as we enter 2017, my state, North Carolina, would perform so badly on this, and other, measures that we are no longer considered to be a fully functioning democracy.

In the just released EIP report, North Carolina’s overall electoral integrity score of 58/100 for the 2016 election places us alongside authoritarian states and pseudo-democracies like Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone. If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world.

Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received. North Carolina is not only the worst state in the USA for unfair districting but the worst entity in the world ever analyzed by the Electoral Integrity Project.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article122593759.html#storylink=cpy

fatbastard repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why winning local elections matters.

#Localelectionsmatter

bigredfutbol and American Brummie repped this.
  4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    dapip repped this.
  7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically since it's only fraud to vote in more than one, you can register in all of them and see where your vote would help the most before deciding where to go on election day ... Just like the founding fathers intended :)

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't entirely accurate. While it isn't voting fraud to register in every state, it is registration fraud to do so since most/all states require a person to register at an address they are registered in. Additionally, if a person actually voted using a registration that they either submitted fraudulently, or that they know is not their current place of residence, they will have committed voting fraud.

fatbastard repped this.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad attempt at online sarcasm :)

Apparently the White House is full of registrationally fraudulent folks :)

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it! I should clarify, it isn't fraud to be registered in multiple states (Seriously, who remembers to unregister when you move out of state). It's only fraud if you submit a new registration for an address that you don't reside at (and some states require that to be your primary residence, so no registering at your vacation home).

stanger, American Brummie and fatbastard repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As i said before, the only reason I don't take the bet is because I fear winning a case of Trump GoldTM

https://www.thenation.com/article/h...at-makes-sure-voting-machines-cant-be-hacked/

In a little-noticed 6-3 vote today, the House Administration Committee voted along party lines to eliminate the Election Assistance Commission, which helps states run elections and is the only federal agency charged with making sure voting machines can’t be hacked. The EAC was created after the disastrous 2000 election in Florida as part of the Help America Vote Act to rectify problems like butterfly ballots and hanging chads. (Republicans have tried to kill the agency for years.) The Committee also voted to eliminate the public-financing system for presidential elections dating back to the 1970s.

“It is my firm belief that the EAC has outlived its usefulness and purpose,” said Committee chair Gregg Harper (R-MS), explaining why his bill transfers the EAC’s authority to the Federal Election Commission.

Thirty-eight pro-democracy groups, including the NAACP and Common Cause, denounced the vote. “The EAC is the only federal agency which has as its central mission the improvement of election administration, and it undertakes essential activities that no other institution is equipped to address,” says the Brennan Center for Justice.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We have another case of voting fraud. Can you guess the party of the fraudster?

http://kdvr.com/2017/03/21/former-colorado-gop-chairman-charged-with-voter-fraud/

Weld County prosecutors discovered the forgery when Kelly Curtis called the Weld County Elections Office in October asking how she could vote because she had just moved to South Carolina but was still registered to vote in Colorado.

That's when she said an election worker told her she had already voted by mail and the elections office already had her ballot.

"I was just completely stunned. I thought there had to be some kind of mistake," Kelly Curtis said.

That's when verification judges for the Weld County Clerk and Recorder's Office got involved.

"We compared her (ballot) signature just to the signatures on her registration," said Weld County Clerk and Recorder Carly Koppes, who quickly determined the signatures didn't match but noted the ballot was sent from Steve Curtis' home in Firestone.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think this thread deserves a bump.

I happened across this article: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...onal-information-from-colorado-us-voter-rolls

And this line:
    I knew all that before I read the article, but reading the article it clicked that if you know where and when I was born, then you can probably figure out the first 5 numbers on my social security card.

https://www.ssn-check.org/decode/

The only slightly secure numbers in your social security number are the last 4 numbers. Making those last 4 numbers public record is patently insane because it is effectively tantamount to making the entire number public.

(It's also patently insane that social security numbers function as de facto national IDs. But that's another issue.)

soccernutter repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You ain't kidding.

And that it has become common practice is, I believe, in direct contravention of the law as it was written. (IIRC)

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Between facial recognition, tracking devices and more sophisticated algorithms that can organize the data into a coherent profile, one day we'll look back at the SS# as the era of quaint privacy ...

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Certainly at the time that issuing them at birth was proposed--1962? 64? we were assured during the discussion that it would never be allowed to happen... But only the real nutty right was concerned about it then. (The worry was somehow tied up in gun control IIRC, but I don't recall how everybody having a SSN was supposed to make it possible to keep track of people's guns and confiscate them.)

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Strange that "the real nutty right" turned out to be closer to right than not.

American Brummie repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, I was in the Boise, Idaho school system at the time, but pretty aware of who was who and what politically, and that fight was carried on by Birchers and literal Nazis. The Nixon and Goldwater supporters all thought they were nuts...

19. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I'm not sure it's quite that easy. Example: using the run of numbers in my birth year for my state of issuance (which may/may not be the same as state of birth), there are 1404 possible numbers in the first 4 of the series. Because the two numbers in the series can't be 00, there are actually only 1390 numbers. Even if you had access to the death master file, there are over 1000 actual live/unused numbers.

That's nothing if you're trying a brute force/randomization type of attack. Here's the difference: if you're trying to break into something with randomized attempts, you know when you're in. When you correctly ping the correct first 5 numbers of my SSN, how would you actually know? You'd need to try to get access to something of mine while you attempt to test this. Are you going to try to hack my bank account 1000 times? My college transcript? A loan app? A utility bill? You're going to be booted if you try something more than 3-4 times through the front door, like a password retrieval or something.

I'm sure it can be done, but it's not an efficient way to hack a large volume of numbers. My number isn't particularly special. People looking for this stuff don't care about me. They care about getting their hands on as many numbers as quickly as possible. So if somebody wants a lot of numbers, malware or phishing or hacking financial institutions is the way to go.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No, it's not quite as easy as I suggested, provided you were born before 1989.

After 1989? It could be as easy as suggested.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2009/07/social-security-numbers-are-easy-guess

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Don't worry guys, your information is in good hands...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol-blackwell-voter-commission-20170709-story.html

Blackwell had served as mayor of Cincinnati and state treasurer before becoming Ohio’s top elections official, so a bid for governor in 2006 seemed a logical next step in his political career.

But in March of that year, his office caused a stir: The full Social Security numbers of 1.2 million Ohio voters were posted accidentally on the secretary of state’s website.

A month later, in a separate incident, Blackwell’s office inadvertently distributed voter lists with the Social Security numbers of 5.7 million voters. The numbers, by law, are supposed to remain private.

Blackwell, 69, has been tapped to serve on the Trump administration’s bipartisan voter fraud commission, an endeavor election officials nationwide have called a waste of time.

The panel, officially called the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, asked secretaries of state nationwide to provide voters’ personal information, including names, addresses and the last four digits of Social Security numbers. The commission has faced intense pushback from both Democrats and Republicans, while a watchdog group has filed a lawsuit arguing the commission’s request breaches privacy laws.

/quote

22. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dad was an old-school Republican turned democrat, and he mentioned this to us kids dozens of times. You are correct, it's illegal to use an SSN for anything other than SS. (At least it was as originally written. May have changed by now.)

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When I was in college in the 80s, my S.S. was my student ID number. The results of tests would be posted by SS on bulletin boards. To protect anonymity, of course.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was a kid, there was a big fight over whether they should stop using a person's SSN as their driver ID. They ended up making the switch, but, yeah, SSN is used as a national ID even though it is not supposed to be one.