The Walking Dead - season 8

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Oct 23, 2017.

1. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a disjointed, nonsensical mish mash.
    The Saviors are trapped in their lair, on their last legs. Now they are all-powerful, omnipresent again?
    I never was a great fan of this show, but the episodes with the Governor and the Prison were a little more coherent.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Where did all those saviours come from, too. It looked like they had maybe a dozen or so at the sanctuary and several dozen 'workers'. Yet when they broke out apparently they've got dozens of people to mount multiple attacks out in the open AND on Alexandria.

Also, as you imply, Rick's group obviously realised it was important to keep them penned in at the sanctuary, thus the lookouts. If that was the case then maybe having a few more lookouts might have been in order?

Frankly, until the situation was resolved, Rick should have left a significant number of his group there... not buggering off to have a tete-a-tete with junkyard nutcase women.

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Chandler Riggs, the actor that plays Carl, the decision to kill Carl off was made by the writers and had nothing to do with college. He just purchased a house in the area. There are plenty of juicy discussions floating all over the Internet and interesting theories including not wanting to renegotiate Chandler's contract now that he is an adult.Chandler also convinced the "Spoiling Dead" to not spoil his demise and is now a moderator on https://www.reddit.com/r/thewalkingdead/

Yes, Carl does not die in the comics during the war with the saviors.

Belgian guy repped this.
  4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also,
    Chandler Riggs mentions "last few seasons" in an interview and others are questioning if TWD is ending soon.
    • Andrew Lincoln's contract is up and has mentioned "there has to be and end in sight" and Rigg's mentioning him being tired of leaving England to film in Georgia
    • Lawsuit between AMC and show co-creator/original showrunner Frank Darabont
    • Lawsuit between AMC and TWD creator Robert Kirkman and producers Gale Ann Hurd, Glen Mazzara, and David Alpert
    • Spinning off Morgan to Fear TWD
    • Sinking ratings
    • Poor reviews
    • Even die-hard fans are agreeing this is AMC and showrunner Gimple lazily filling in gaps between season premiere, middle and end

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Why can't they all just die.....Would literally be the best ending of any show.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I miss the days of the prison.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    AMC is gonna milk the HECK out of this show

But it's clearly running out of steam. I can't see it making past season 10. It literally has run out of ideas, by season's end the war will be over. But do they have the talent to make season 9 better than the last 3?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's an interesting question but I think the better one is, do they want to make it better?

I'm sure I've mentioned before about the old BBC show 'Survivors'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(1975_TV_series)

The point about that, it was set in a post apocalyptic world but they ended up managing to establish some sort of improved society with an element of law and order and even getting some electricity, (hydro-electric power), back on again.

So there was an interesting story arc with huge problems early on but, eventually, people's common sense and desire to work together for mutual survival, triumphed.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    ummm.....BUMP

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The enthusiasm for this show....let's just say it's been a while

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    At least one boring character died.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I almost, kind of liked that episode.
    But they they had to ruin it by how incredibly stupid and reckless Gavin and his crew acted in the Kingdom.
    These are people who have survived for a very long time by the standards of this universe.
    They are also part of a group that has made it a near certainty that they have been in their fair share of violent encounters.
    So nothing about the way they were so easily slaughtered by just two/three people makes any sense.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur. It's been almost 3 years or maybe 3.5/4 in the Walking Dead universe. To have survived this long, you have had to be pretty damn good at your job.

And yet so many times people screw up (just because the plot demands it).

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought the concentration on one character was a bit boring, tbh.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The competence of both Negan and Rick's crew fluctuates depending on who the writers want to come out on top that week. It's poor writing.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So the two things that bothered me this week were one minor and one major thing.
    The minor thing was the stupidity of seeing Michonne and then Rick too try to put out a fire in already ruined gazebo whilst Walkers were all around them and in the case of Michonne swarmed to within a few feet of her.

The second thing was the garbage people and Jadis. The two consistent traits so far is that Jadis is not trustworthy and that she prepares for potential attacks. On top of that, they are a bit of a wild card in terms of how stable they are.

So nothing about the scene with Simon made sense. Not them just waltzing into their garbage dump without being ambushed. Not the way Jadis allowed them to take their weapons even though Simon hadn't even brought enough men to outnumber the garbage people. Not the way Jadis acted after she had given up the guns. They have essentially made the entire garbage people subplot superfluous with that strange decision to end on that note.

Also, Rick drives all the way over there and then doesn't even bother to bring Jadis along? This would have made sense when she had just double-crossed him, not when he had just cut a new deal with her that ultimately cost her all of her people.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The whole Jadis thing made absolutely NO sense.

In terms of Rick's group, Jadis was clearly completely unreliable so best to ignore her and hope she doesn't help Negan. After having been turned on by her once, WHY would you go back and try to get her to work with you again?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I agree. Rick didn't kill her, which was mercy. He just didn't try to save her.

I still don't get why they just gave over their guns to Simon. Surely they knew he'd want retribution for their betrayal.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They could have turned their garbage dump into a death trap for any Savior that showed up. Instead they meekly turn over the weapons they schemed so hard for to get.

20. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think Aaron made a very bad decision staying with all those women.

They'll kill him when they find out he's gay.

mike4066 and Belgian guy repped this.
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    A peak Mal post. ;)

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    won't that keep him alive ;) They don't want any men at all.

they could coerce his "lifeforce" in another way

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly!

Just when you think you've reached Mal, he hits new heights of... well.... Mal'ness :)

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So Tara chooses that precise moment to exact her revenge.

Also, surely someone else would have thought of using the Walkers' tissue as some sort of biological weapon by now?

25. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Biological weapon or Walker camouflage? Both shows have established that coming in general contact with, even wearing, hell, bathing in Walker blood and guts does not make you sick…sigh…

Ismitje repped this.