The Walking Dead - season 8

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I got confused by that bit at the beginning when Ezekiel is rabbitting on and then we cut to them blasting away at some saviours, only for them to have him droning on again in the next shot. I thought I was having a stroke for a minute :(

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Season eight is really off to a dumb start.
    King Ezekiel's speechifying.
    The fact that they decimate entire groups of Saviors with the simplest of tactics (even if you consider the fact that they were obviously lured into a trap why would Negan sacrifice dozens of his men to get them to that location?)
    Morgan fighting Jesus
    Taking the Saviors back to the Hilltop, the definition of a bad idea.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's getting real old, real quick.
    Where's this?
    Surely, having ANY of the known bases with large numbers of people in is a sort target. Whilst the conflict is going on, just move them temporarily somewhere else I'd say.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    King Ezekiel's group. The location they arrive at is obviously a Saviors trap. But why they allowed them to kill so many Saviors just to get them there (which I guess is what happened) is not quite clear.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, yeah. I remember now. The bit right at the end where what I assume was the Browning MG opens up on them after Ezekiel had been claiming nobody would be killed.

7. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would feel better if both groups were portrayed as amateurs with unqualified military leaders stumbling through a situation to arrive to a conclusion or stalemate.

But when the group go from expert marksmen able to take out sentries/snipers/lookouts from distance and infiltrate installations with efficiency to low accuracy cannon fodder depending upon plot I'm just getting tired of it.

The whole Morales arc seemed completely discard-able.

The Jesus/Morgan fight? Really?

The whole marching of Savior prisoners to Hilltop follows the same "lets fill 48 minutes up" of talk, talk, "oh no walkers", situation, big speech, conclusion. This is borderline Star Wars episode 1 level of detail and annoyance just without the budget and infinite space.

I'll say it again. The source (Kirkman's comics) have great ideas but the laziness over the past two seasons shown by AMC / writers / show runner is wearing thin. This is one of the if not the flagship series for your network. Are you really going to do a season # to #.5 then #.5 to end with mostly filler and a bottle episode or two?

Who doesn't think the savior that killed the hilltop kid and is in direct conflict with Morgan will kill either Morgan or a recurring/main character?

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That bit where they're walking along and the walkers appear out of nowhere... particularly the one that 'sneaks up' on Morgan... THAT was laughable.

He goes, "Oooh, where did YOU come from?!"

He's fighting the guy off like he's a wasp and they're having a picnic :D

Belgian guy repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So we have moved thematically from "Carol: First Blood" to "Die Hard with a Carol". :D

BTW, was I the only one who was confused by the fact that she didn't just shoot out all four tires on that truck before going to help Ezekiel and his axe-wielding soldier (is it Jerry?). That truck, loaded with at least two Browning MGs and their ammo, wasn't going to go very far with four blown-out tires.

In the end, it didn't matter anyway because they only set up that stupid action set-piece with Daryl and Rick. That machine gun shoots up to 600 rounds per minute, which means that even a guy who couldn't hit the side of a barn would have trouble missing people who are driving just behind him at what is effectively point blank range. :rolleyes:

On the subject of the MGs, the lines of fire didn't make sense in terms of where they were supposedly shooting from and the dispersal of the bodies of the King's men relative to the shooting position. Some of the people who got hit woldn't have been within the field of view of the shooter, since there were large silos blocking the angle on that side.

10. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    One the more disappointing episodes in recent memory….I usually allow for a pretty health suspension of disbelief when it comes to this show…but this episode tried even my lenient patience…all the gun play was downright dumb; the Walkers are little more than inconvenient afterthoughts that exist merely to move the plot along and to create faux tension, and everything was just so damn convenient…oh look, it’s my big friend with his big ax….oh look, it’s my pet tiger….oh look, it’s Daryl and Rick to save the day…

11. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the episodes between 1 and the half season finale (or 1st of 2nd half and season finale).

So many discardable minutes.

It's the whole segment the filler episodes to concentrate on a character or two between plot point A and B that is frustrating. The road to Terminus? Yawn. They were able to maintain tension at the start of S6 (2 w/Morgan/Carol/Wolves 3 w/Glenn) then give us a break with 4 Morgan bottle episode.

I almost wish they would shoot these episodes like an episode of Gotham: compact, little wasted dialog, end with cliffhanger/something that makes you look forward to next episode.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the Shiva scene is in there just because they needed to save money on the CGI budget. ;)

13. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means more money for CGI deer and Dumpster people background scenery. Neat...

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't know how much more of this show I can take. I wish I had never allowed myself to get over someone choosing a crossbow as a weapon of choice during the zombie apocalypse.....would have saved myself a lot of time

15. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on reddit had a good post about TWD and why things appear disappointing.

He/she said there are 3 camps
    1. fans that read the comic and base opinions on the translation
    2. fans of good TV
    3. fans of action and/or horror
    All 3 groups have their "best" and "worst seasons".

Season 8, however, is beginning to disappoint all 3. Group 1 has various reasons to be disappointed with implementation of plot and story points (Negan absent from 3 episodes, Kingdom and Shiva's fates lacked the weight the comics had). Group 2 is getting bored and uninterested with writing/direction that seemingly appears to using convenience and meaningless dialog to go from point A to B. Group 3 is disappointed because there is nothing new on the horror front and the action is just silly at this point).

Add to that the 100th episode, which was hyped beyond belief, was more Rick yak yak yakking and little payoff.

Not sure if it has been discussed yet but I think Fear the Walking Dead season 3 was far superior to their first 2 season and have surpassed TWD on my watch list. For once, I actually cared about the characters.

Belgian guy repped this.
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I thought that was better in some ways but then, maybe it was just because it was shorter and the story-line 'tighter'?

The characters were also more interesting.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So Shiva couldn't just jump away? I'm not a zoologist, but I'm pretty sure tigers are decent at jumping.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Au contraire... everybody knows that a tiger can be taken down by half a dozen old age pensioners, (or people who move at the same blistering pace). That's why when myself, the wife and some of the other old codgers around here go for a meal somewhere, the staff, (most of whom are young people), won't enter the dining area unless there are about 40 of them.

If they don't bring the still AND the sparkling water by the time the meal arrives, we strike and, let me tell yer, it ain't pretty :)

mike4066, Belgian guy and yasik19 repped this.
  19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So much time devoted to those Browning MGs over the past few episodes and then the entire story line ends in such a stupid way.

On the subject of the "smearing a Walker's intestines over you so they can't perceive you as prey" trick, it's something they figured out all the way back in season one (IIRC) yet they so rarely use it. Why? It seems to work almost every time. You'd think that they would use that trick whenever they go out and are in risk of running into Walkers.

The helicopter is an interesting wrinkle (I'm guessing people who have gotten this far in the comics know what's it about but I have no clue).

mike4066 repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I found the 'Negan is just a poor, misunderstood soul' rather daft.

21. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's a good way for them to get out of impossible situations. Though to be fair it would be rank to wear an intestine suit for extended periods and I'd rather take my chances.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not sure that is the point. I think the idea of a cutthroat group like the Saviors needing a leader like Negan to stop them from devouring each other has some merit.

mike4066 repped this.
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well you would only wear it when you went out of your compound and during those times, the smell and discomfort seem worth it if it means that Walkers are unlikely to attack you.

24. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they could make a concentrated scent like hunters do with deer stank?

Walk Away, a fragrance from Zombael?

Oh, decent episode.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... possibly.

I just find most of the show's ideas of the way society would develop in a societal breakdown situation rather silly, tbh. The old show we had over here, 'Survivors', seemed a lot more plausible. The thinking on display in this seems rooted in this ludicrous 'survivalist' wet dream so beloved of the American right where everybody is a threat.