The Walking Dead - season 8

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

So let me get this straight, after the writers had an entire off-season to come up with a good idea in terms of Rick & co's next step, they come up with a plan that boils down to them riding into the lion's den with a bunch of vehicles reinforced with sheet metal and then lure another one of those convenient herds back to Negan's headquarters? That was poor even by the occasionally subpar standards of this show.

2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just finished it....it’s so cyclic....

Although, it seems as if Rick is ceding control to Maggie after this fight.

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected more for a 100th episode. Also, the seemingly unlimited ammo. Having all the bad guys lined up like ducks in a carnival game. The flash backs and forwards that didn't seem to have meaning. Old Rick, sad Rick, General Rick. Rick the dead shot from seasons 1-7 turns into a storm trooper for season 8 as far as shooting accuracy goes.

Someone commented on AVClub that Gregory was the only realistic character left on the show and should be bred with Tara for characters for upcoming seasons.

I think I said this before. The show is too big for a comic series with great ideas and adequate implementation to have just Gimple doing most of the translation to TV which has turned into episode 1 to last episode and fill the rest with secondary characters.

Boandlkramer and Belgian guy repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    On that subject, seeing Tara again (including those sunglasses) was one of the few things I did like.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm in for another season of this. Couldn't tell you why though. The show gets worse and worse.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Where were these sharpshooters when Negan came out in the open? :rolleyes:

Belgian guy repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It was almost insultingly bad.

8. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed, Why didn't they just open up on him as soon as he exposed himself?!

Rick should already have known that there is no negotiating with Negan.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's with Rick looking dishevelled and sweaty, though? Is that an indication of trouble at some point in the future?

It didn't seem to be anything to DO with this episode at all.

Also, where are Negan's other people?

IIRC we reckoned they were about the same in numbers as Rick's combined group. Now it looks like he's got about a dozen? Where are the rest... on vacation? Something's wrong there.

So maybe there are a lot more somewhere and, although Negan stayed at his place, (presumably not expecting a frontal assault in this manner), the rest are off just about to attack Ricks place or the Kingdom.

I suppose it's possible, (well, MORE than possible, tbh), that, when people started organising to fight back a lot of Negan's support would simply melt away in the way that ALL organisations based solely on fear and violence do. If I was one of them I'd just leg it. It's not like he can send the police to arrest you for deserting your post, is it.

But, also, what happened to the weirdos's at the scrapyard?

I dunno.. we'll see I suppose.

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a cheesy episode with really bad writing. Supposedly there are hundreds of people in this Saviors group. So Rick and company just drive up to the front door. Whereupon Negan and staff walk out to trade insults within short range of semi-automatic rifles. OK.

Belgian guy repped this.
  11. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The confrontation was a little more believable in the comics. Snipers on both sides had kills. Negan was much more engaging. The end result (the Sanctuary overrun by walkers) progressed more intelligently.

I think if they would have handled S8E1 like S6E1 it would have been more thrilling.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hundreds? Are you sure?

They showed him talking to them at the end of the last series and it looked like about 50-60 I believe. What makes you think it's hundreds?

Also, bearing in mind they'd had a beat-down and had been driven off at the end of the last series I can see some of them taking the opportunity to disappear.

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's implied they have hundreds. That scene ending last season had a couple dozen extras. Budget costs, you know.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I only ask because, IIRC, we discussed this at the end of last season and decided they were roughly about the same with maybe an edge in favour of Negan.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As I suspected, we seem to have gained a fairly large number of people or, more accurately, they were there but not immediately apparent.

Quite why Negan decided to stay at the one place that WOULD be hit is a mystery.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I still don't understand the plan, nor the objective.

It seems like they are hitting several Savior locations at once, among them the satellite station they hit before. At one of them, Rick is looking for guns. But what is the objective at the others? Also, why are those other locations relatively poorly defended?

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, to wipe them out in simple terms.

Morgan and the girl, (forget the name), said something about their intention was to kill them all but Jesus said they should let them surrender. That's going to be a source of friction at some point I guess.
    Are they at once, though? He's shown hitting the place Negan was at, (the place they attacked with the cars with protective panels), and those are then seen elsewhere with the two gay fellas whilst Rick and Daryl are attacking the place with the guns.
    To remove them as a threat to the group, like I say. Isn't that what Rick's saying when they're talking about it in the church or whatever it is.
    I suppose the implication is that they're not expecting them to be hit because Negan thinks they don't know about them. Of course, the guy who's giving them information, (with the burned face), has told them about ALL of them, including what they can expect in the way of resistance.

With the level of attrition the two groups are getting, (Negan's losing a LOT more people), I don't see any way he can win.

But I suppose the show will have some more surprises for us.

That's the thing that's pissing me off. Back in the day we used to have the old 'Saturday morning pictures' for us kids. They were well known for having the hero trapped with absolutely ZERO chance of escape. He was tied up, hands and feet, with the baddie just about to shoot him with two guns and with all his henchman surrounding the fella in the white hat... but then, next week, it was '... and with one bound he was free'.

Even as an 8 year old I thought, "WTF do you mean, 'with one bound'. How did he get out of the ropes?!'" :mad: :D

Well, maybe without the salty language, obviously... but y'know what I mean :)

19. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the plan is/was
    1. navigate a large herd to the Sanctuary to separate them keep them pinned in and unable to help or be helped without dealing with hundreds of walkers first; kill Negan if possible (which didn't happen)
    2. while Sanctuary is busy, take out the now isolated outposts grabbing firearms and supplies (why, have no idea - everyone has unlimited ammo)
    3. after taking out the outposts re-assemble and determine if a) Sanctuary still busy then kill surviving Saviors or b) attack Sanctuary c) undetermined plan B
    Anyone else feel this episode was a whole lotta nothin? Morales from season one? Really? (Negan's voice). Morgan's now the Morganator?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that makes sense.

Give the sanctuary something to deal with, allowing them more time to attack the satellite operations more easily.

The only thing I'm still not clear about was at the end when the guy, (Morales???), says he's 'called the saviours back'? Er.. haven't we already seen the sanctuary attacked, blown up and left dealing with several hundred, (or thousand), walkers?

Is he sure he didn't just 'leave a message' kinda thing? :D

21. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure. I found the where and what and why a little iffy. Maybe if locations were titled like other shows and movies ... "Moon base alpha" ... y'know... Outpost 1 - Dish TV. Outpost 2 - Babies 'n Guns. Outpost 3 - Former Shoney's... Outpost 4 - Season 1 green room...

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that would certainly make my viewing a whole lot easier :D

23. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That baby scene...Rick may have just just orphaned that kid...I have a feeling he will be dealing with that internally later...after Daryl saves him.

The firefight with the two guys seems too close for comfort, like a knife fight in a closet. Seemed a bit cramped for anyone to try and flank.

What happens to Gabriel?!

#NEEDMOREAMMO!!

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I didn't follow this episode at all. Lots of pointless shooting, Morgan going Rambo, and ummm......yea, that's about it.

Oh, and Jasmine's tiger.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  25. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is Gabriel will off himself to avoid listening to Negan rattle on about saving this and ungrateful that and the 5th potty joke; probably grabs Lucy by the barbed wire end and bashes his own head repeatedly.

malby repped this.