The very very circular VAR Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How does a non-penalty call in a corner grab scramble get differentiated so that a coach can't demand a VAR replay from a similar call in standard open play?

Doesn't make sense.....
    (I mean - look - It makes sense in that you and I both know how we "already" differentiate that, the same way everyone does .... - but a coach who sees a penalty infringement is gonna want to use the avenue that will bolster his case.... No?)

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #52 zaqualung, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    I basically can't see hoow complaining will not be a good reason for VAR penalty review on every 2nd corner .....

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This discussion is baffling

4. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Because each manager only gets one chance to ask for VAR (unless he is right). So highly unlikely to blow it on something unless he is convinced he is right.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 EruditeHobo, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    "VARs are being trialled for clear and obvious errors, or serious missed incidents, relating to specific incidents in three ‘game changing’ situations – goals, penalty/no penalty decisions and straight red cards, plus mistaken identity for red or yellow cards.

The VAR automatically checks every such incident and if a clear and obvious error has occurred the referee is informed; the referee can then confirm or change the original decision based on the information from the VAR, or the referee looks at a replay on the side of the pitch. The original decision is only changed if it was clearly and obviously wrong."

Those are the VAR rules as trialed in FA cup.

I don't really care what coaches complain about. They already complain about everything that doesn't go their way. I couldn't care less if another thing they start complaining about is VAR. The bottom line is VAR, as implemented above, adds minimal amount of time to matches and gets more calls correct. Period. Coaches and their complaints can go ******** themselves.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    to all the pro-VAR gang ...

how many times have you watched a game in real time and said "penalty!!" only to change your mind when seeing the replay?

how many times have you watched a game in real time and said "not a pen!!" only to change your mind when seeing the replay?

how many times have you watched a game in real time and said either of those 2 things, only to say "I'm simply not sure" when seeing the replay?

my point is:
    you're talking about Var as if it will provide conclusive evidence and eliminate doubt. it won't, it never will do. all it'll do is add a different opinion to the decision, and will slow the game down constantly, and create yet another damn thing for everyone to argue about. the game is too fast and there are too many events that are impossible to call with certainty.

so what is the bloody point??

CB-West and Red Bird repped this.
  7. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The point is, even if not perfect, it will catch many of the blatantly obvious wrong calls.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the benefits do not outweigh the downside effect. and before you know it it would be being applied to every damn decision the ref has to make.

CB-West repped this.
  9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But how (in God's or anyone else's name ) does that allow for the purpose of the technology, which is the overturning of bad decisions?

Someone counting the possdibility of bad decisions and coming up with the answer "1" before the game starts. Brilliant logic that.....

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Every corner is a penalty claim. No one bugs the ref about it very much because there's no point. With this VAR there would (if people wnated to be absolute) be every possible point in bugging them about grabbing ....

Don't get me wrong - I don't want that to happen, but it seeems they are going to have to inherently deny the logic of upholding the rules, in order to get themselves out of this particular problematic issue ......

To wit:
    We all KNOW that fouls go on all the time at corners. We all know that refs can't really differentiuate them. We all know that penalties would be the result. We all know that VAR can be used for such differentiation.
    So WHY are we not saying VAR this???

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I say let the call shappen. It's a game (as decised) with referees and linesmen using their eyes. That's all it should be (IMO). Get over it .... Hail Ludd!

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't matter. First of all, they bitch about this already, and second of all we've already seen what it looks like... read the rules, look at the WBA match. There were 8 corners in that match... but not 8 stoppages for the ref to look at VAR. Ask yourself why.

It's very simple, it's an acceptable part of the game.

The only times it will be called out in VAR are the egregious examples, like in the WBA match in the FA cup. Every tug of an arm or nudge in the back isn't a penalty, and thus every time it happens during a corner doesn't deserve a penalty. That's just not how the game is called. BUT when it denies a scoring chance or it happens to a player that has a play on the ball, that is what VAR will actually help, to more accurately identify those specific plays which I don't think happen nearly as much as you may suggest. That's a good thing, to have VAR find that balance between physicality that affects play and physicality that doesn't, because that's something that's easy to miss as a ref crew that's at best 20 yards from the action.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, ok. So this is your ACTUAL point. We just agree to disagree. I want the calls gotten correctly as often as possible, I don't find it charming or traditional or "part of the game" that a ref misses a call because "that's how it's always been". I don't care how things have always been when it comes at the expense of correctly identifying which team actually won. Get the calls right.

VAR will get more calls right at little cost, and it's just a matter of time. Sooner it's in, the more calls that change the outcome of matches will be correctly made.

How do you feel about goal-line tech?

delaynomo and Navieko repped this.
  14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't need it. A linesman is paid to judge it.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But what gives you the right to differentiate... getting the calls right would involve rectifying the lying little fouls that constantly go on at corners. I'm willing to live with them because they are how I mentally view the game (with flaws). However your reasoning states, by implication, that such things should not be allowed...

How do we ever know that the arm preventing someone from jumping isn't preventing him from scoring the goal? Answer = you can't know this...

16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't forget the ref can also call for VAR whenever he is unsure of his decision.

VAR should eliminate most of the blatantly obviously wrong decisions.

It's not going to make things perfect. Just better!

Navieko repped this.
  17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They DO need it. The amount of close calls have already correctly ruled out or in dozens of goals at this point. That's what the technology is for. But this sentiment certainly speaks to your mindset -- a practically transparent piece of tech that doesn't change the game at all you'd dismiss despite it doing something that humans clearly cannot consistently do. That's telling.

First of all I'm not taking or claiming "the right" -- this is a movement that's happening already. I'm only saying why I welcome it.

Second of all, my reasoning states that if these fouls are egregious and deny an attacker a play on the ball they can be ruled on correctly. Not every bump or every bit of contact, but the important moments that everyone looks at afterwards and says "why the hell wasn't THIS called?"

And I don't need to, because it's about getting the egregious things right. Here are the rules again -- "clear and obvious errors", "serious missed incidents", "game-changing situations". I repeat, not all 8 corners were ruled on using VAR in the WBA-LIV match, were they? No, they weren't.

You are happy to allow the perfect be the enemy of the good, but more than that you're arguing against the good in an argument that's already lost. I won't do either of those things, mostly because I want the calls to be made correctly more often (and you clearly don't), but also because this is just a matter of time. So, we just agree to disagree.

Navieko repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So don't have a ref on the pitch is your answer.
    Just use a couple if guys watching TV. (That's what VAR is by the way )
    You and your endless arguments are just a joke in here.

SamScouse repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "This doesn't matter"????? you can't honestly think that if a player gets hauled down from a corner, and the ref doesn't call a pen, the fans. media, pundits, everyone - wouldn't be all over it saying "expand VAR for corners!". if you do, you're remarkably naive.

eh??? players goes down and pens get given even if the player already lost control of the ball or hasn't even touched it yet. sweet jesus man, now you're making shit up.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    nope.

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    thanks to whoever made this a separate thread, btw.

23. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not suggesting that the offside rule be eliminated. I said "modified"

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a fascinating debate for sure as seen just in the view points in this thread - but I was starting to have trouble finding posts about the other teams (and today's CL semifinal game).

SamScouse repped this.
  25. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wait - there was another semi final game today?