The very very circular VAR Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR corrects a wrong call by the ref, which would have awarded Madrid a pen vs Juve. Happened very quickly, didn't really add any time to the game. Maybe 10 seconds?

Good job VAR.

3. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Meanwhile...in the other game...

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morata getting reviewed for a push before his header right now in ATL-JUV...

VAR says no goal! Took probably 60 seconds, but I wasn't watching closely.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another ATL goal, another VAR review! Perhaps another foul. I don't think this can possibly be overturned, personally... we'll see, was an off-ball foul on a defender that's not really involved in the play, aka this is one of zaq's horror scenarios which would slow down matches or whatever.

And the goal stands, as it should. Almost no slow down for the VAR review, more good work from VAR in this match IMO.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another goal, another review! Question of ATL player at far post being offside on delivery of the free kick... looks like it should stand for me.

And it does stand, completely negligible match delay as VAR is assessed, maybe an extra 10-15 seconds? Hard to say with goal celebrations going on during assessment.

VAR kind of killing it in this one. ATL up 2-0 and look like they are going to take this tie.

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I vomit at the thought of sittin g through that cr@p.....

btw/ here's some reviews from the BBC online watchers.... (they appear to not share your opinion - I'm just glad I'm not watching)

Monty: So VAR is allowing and disallowing goals and giving penalties even when the TV screen the ref is supposed to use is broken! How is it possible to use part of the tech but not all of it? Ridiculous.

Harry: VAR is a joke. People should come together to put an end to this madness. Ruining the game of football as it was supposed to be.

Helles Mammut: VAR is absolutely disastrous... To judge that situation you just have to turn it around, would he have given penalty for that? Obviously not, it was more a tumble or even dive by Chiellini who had lost his position... VAR is a farce.

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The screen being broken has nothing to do with VAR itself... but I do agree they should fix the ********ing screens! Or have a backup or whatever. But they got the calls right in this one, only 1 actual slowdown and it wasn't really bad. That's success.

ATL cruise over Juve, 2-0. They look a formidable squad, could see them progressing quite far in this competition. Diego Costa and Griezmann is a killer combo up top.

Regardless... I really don't care what internet commenters say. Discuss the calls themselves. Only one of your examples does that, and frankly he's probably wrong -- if a player went down with that contact so a defender could head a cross away, it's a pen. So that dude's issue has zero to do with VAR.

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obvious handball goal missed by ref in West Ham v Fulham. Bummer.

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    changed the complexion of the half.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more. Fulham may have just capitulated eventually anyways, but to watch it happen so thoroughly, directly after the call... just not a great look.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think , VAR or not, the quality of officiating has to be much better the current abysmal level. And, I’m not buying the game has got considerably quicker than days of yore, it’s tje basics such as the referees being badly positioned to make the right call in the first place.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fast forward to 10:10 and tell me how you have VAR and still award that PK? HOW?!?

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he not kick him? Kind of looks like he kicks him in the leg.

VAR should be able to have the slo-mo replay, so they should be able to rule on that effectively.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yesterday (PSG vs Man Utd) was the perfect example of why I don't like the whole idea of VAR.

Innocuous possible accidental hand-ball that sometimes a ref calls - sometimes they don't.
    It's an incredibly unnatural interference with the flow of, and feel of, and finally - enjoyment of the game ... to have that start a hold-up/discussion in extra-time, which then turns the game completely on its head.

Crazy.....

(ref was lucky to get out of that stadium alive, I think....)

btw/ how was that review initiated? TheVAR refs just chime in and say - hey ref, we think you effed up there, and he has to listen to them??

awful, awful, just awful....

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These kinds of calls will always be a problem, just a tough thing to deal with for a ref with or without VAR.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's literally how VAR works. How else would it work?

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and then it's up to the ref to decide - i.e. even after review he doesn't have to change the call.

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it interesting that other call in the CL this week... VAR ruled on whether the ball had gone into touch, and I didn't think that was allowed (certainly didn't seem it was allowed given the VAR rules used in the World Cup or FA Cup). Furthermore, I think that opens a whole other can of worms that I don't think I would want VAR addressing...

But that said I do think they got the call correct in the moment, so VAR technically did good in that moment.

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The game has morphed into a TV reality show. The correct way to handle desisions now is to get rid of extra officials and just have the ref act as a TV MC. Say a man goes down in the Penalty area he can
    1-Stop the game.
    2-call on the watchers to push a button on their cell phone.
    3-Press A for a PK
    4-press Z for a yellow for a dive.

That that surely would be a terrific fix and get more millennials to follow the game.

Fuk VAR. I know it's coming, to appease people who don't understand the game. But Fuk them too. :)

zaqualung repped this.
  21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, it doesn't. It only does on whim, apparently. The guy being wrestled to the ground in th World Cup Serbia game screams out for intervention, yesterday "hardly even a point for discussion" doesn't even whisper for it to be necessary....
    (Granted, I don;' know that the VAR officials in th efirst case weren't making out or something at that moment.... ;)

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    but they are not a tough thing to call usually. And usually there isn’t too much argument from the opposition. Generally they are just dismissed by the ref, except when he (thinks) he sees a deliberation.

maybe correct in the Porto moment, but certainly not in the PSG moment.

If that was Liverpool I would be pretty incensed. I'd say 8/9 times out of 10, with a wild rising shot from distance like that and a player turning (and given the modern day directives to referees to do their best to assess whether the defender was unreasonably blocking the shot with his arm or in oblivion) that the ref doesn't even think about it. But the VAR officials (given the psychology of their position) probably do think about it way more, and therefore ask for a review. I'd say we have to flip the stat for them, and it's 8/9 times out of 10 the other way.

That notion, if I am correct about it, is particularly bloody bad for what used to be the enjoyment of football.
    (I guess I see wrapped up in the enjoyment of football, also the enjoyment of non-catastrophic human-error, if it isn't egregious. But I'd frankly (as you know) put up with even the most egregious to get away from this kind of thing.

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #598 EruditeHobo, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    When you don't actually read the rules and then go on to ignore the numerous good jobs VAR does (admittedly with slight time delays) and elect to engage only regarding the tough 50/50 VAR misses, then yes I'm sure it does seem to act "on a whim".

But yes I do know that you would prefer to deal with egregiously bad calls in order to avoid time delays -- that's nothing new and nothing interesting. So I'd say try to focus on the reality that VAR corrects/reinforces far more calls than it messes up, which is easily observable if/when you attain an understanding of the rules.

Yes, VAR will put under the microscope defenders that try to block shots with their arms not at their sides, on this you and I agree! For some reason you're suggesting it's a bad thing, whereas I see it as an opportunity to finally do away with this positively idiotic form of defending which dozens and dozens of players have gotten away with due to ref's human inability to clearly spot the fact that a defender was making himself bigger, even slightly, in order to subtly cheat in a football match. Don't want to be called for it, put your ********ing arms down! Won't take long to drill that into players when real punishments are getting handed out in the form of pens.

It might spike with handball pens a little bit... but it certainly hasn't been some insane rise like you're suggesting by saying it's flipping a 1/10 call into a 8/10 call.

But my advice remains, just get used to it.

24. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm ALL for VAR, but mann. I really can't tell if the handball of Kimpemle was him deliberate or not.

It gonna be hella fun in premiere league next year since VAR will start being use.

Liverpool REALLY need to capitalize this year chance and win the league, because next year when VAR introduce, it going to be alot of drama. And I have a feeling there times the VAR decission will hurt Liverpool. I mean, this go for any team, VAR could help a team, and VAR can make a team down a goal.

Just win the league this year please Liverpool.

25. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is why they need to get rid of the verbiage that says "deliberate" when it comes to handballs. If your hands or arms gained you any kind of advantage when the ball strikes it, it's a handball. Simple.

Yes, players will start putting their arms behind their back when they're defending in the box but so what? I've been playing like that for as long as I can remember and it doesn't change much.

EruditeHobo repped this.