The Veikkausliiga thread

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by thekop, Jan 20, 2008.

1. CardinalSM79

CardinalSM79 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    London
    Is anyone interested in being a volunteer researcher on Finland football for a computer game?

Please e-mail me at: StevenM@bgstudios.co.uk

2. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    That's correct.

3. TampereOwl

TampereOwl New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Updates would be great Matt, I'd like to follow his progress. Like I said before, he's one of my favourite players and Rosenborg might well be a good fit for him.

4. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Well so far he hasent played much, but according to the manager he has looked good during the recent traning sessions.
    The only game i have seen him in was against Helsingborg, rosenborg missed like 7 players due to injuries and the tean was clearly unferior to the swedish one for large parts of the game. But still managed to win 2-1.
    Savo was one of the few players who did okey in that game and i think he looks to be an intresting player but with a injurie free squad i have a hard time seen him in the first 11.
    But defenatly a great player that can give us much needed dept on multipel midfield roles.

5. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Savo played again in a friendly against Aalesund Rosenborg ended up wining the game 1-0 but generaly the team did not play well.
    But have to say Savo is looking to be a good sigening for the club and was defenatly among ouer best in the latest game.
    Looks like he coulde be a good defensive midefield for us.

6. TampereOwl

TampereOwl New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    He's a bargain at €350,000.

7. fjordball

fjordball New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I saw Savo in the pre-season game between Rosenborg and Viking. Sadly the weather made the conditions very difficult for good football (it was snowing something fierce), but if nothing else he looked like a hardworking player who isn't afraid to put in a tackle. He also looked to have a good set of basic skills, which sadly isn't something one should take for granted in the Norwegian league..

8. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys in Finland, I heard the top flight is really improving and the hope is by 2020 all teams will be fully professional with modern grounds, can anyone shed some light on that. As well as, is the attendence improving?

9. thekop

thekop New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Merseyside
    The Veikkausliiga started again yesterday and most games went as predicted. TPS started very strongly, they look like they'll be the team to beat this season. Inter Turku, Lahti and Honka all got wins, though Tampere's 0-0 draw has to be ranked as disappointing against Jaro, this was expected to be a solid 3-pointer for Tampere.

As expected KuPS, RoPS, MyPa and Kooteepee are all propping up the table. Today we have a good battle between Mariehamn and HJK Helsinki. Interesting to see if Antti Muurinen can get off to a good start in his quest to win the title.

10. Munko

Munko New Member

Apr 22, 2008
  11. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    ^Interesting article. I didn't know Haka were in that deep. I knew the belt was getting tighter, hence no real transfers.

12. Munko

Munko New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    I think Haka are in trouble, because paper industries are shutting down their units. Not in Valkeakoski yet. But Valkeakoski is so small town that if one big sponsor is in trouble, the team is in trouble. It has not been a secret that Haka have been lowering their budgets year after year. But that was a little surprise that they have so much debts.
    Anyway, they gonna be a tough contender this season, again. Popovits is still playing and he can carry that team by himself in the field. Let´s see what happens when he retires...

13. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden
    Hello

I have two questions. In my team, Ljungskile SK we have the goalkeepers Michal Slawuta ande Colin Burns who both been playing in Finland. I think would be nice if anyone could tell me what how their status was when then were playing in Finland, and their status is right now? I hope you understand this.

Cheers

14. TampereOwl

TampereOwl New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Hi David,

Slawuta was a very good, solid, Veikkausliiga keeper. I would have rated him in the top 5 keepers in the league. Concentration was possibly a problem, if you can find a clip of Tomi petrescu's goal for TamU away at lahti last year you might find he was at fault. I don't remember properly though, could be wrong, although the goal was scored from near the corner flag.

Burns came to Finland in the third tier, Kakkonen. This is not a good standard, but he was a class above everyone else when he played for Sepsi, and then moved to KPV where he again looked very good. I saw him once when he was at KPV and he was commanding, talkative and saved two one-on-ones that should really have been goals.

How are Ljungskile playing? Is it likely Burns will get a chance?

there is an FC Haka correction on my blog now, apparently I shouldn't pay too much attention to Aamulehti.

15. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden
    TampereOwl: Slawuta has been the first goalkeeper and been doing some great matches. But he got his name known for the rest och swedish fotball family after at pretty embarrasing thing. In the away game against Trelleborg LSK was in the lead in with 2-1 the last minutes of the game and Slawuta took to long time to kick in the ball and the ref gave him a yellow card becuase of that.

And then Slawuta decided to drink some water when he thought that the ref was going to right it down in his book, but the ref did instead took up the second yellow card and Slawuta was sent off, and Colin Burns made his debut on overtime.

So Colin Burns made his "real" debut in the game after wich was IFK Göteborg home, ande he made a great game and LSK won that game too, with 2-1. Andreas Kristoffersson made both goals (he played in FC Inter Åbo under 2000). And now in the last game against IFK Norrköping (LSK lost with 2-0) Colin Burns was back between the posts, doesn't really know why Slawuta was on the bench. But Colin made a good game.

And Colin has also been playing in the only game in Swedish Cup so far for LSK, it was taken all the way to penalties and he saved two. And LSK won the game.

LSK has made an pretty amazing spring and are placed 11th with ten points. Almost everyone thought that LSK would be jumbo in the table under the whole season.

I hope you understand this.

16. thekop

thekop New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Merseyside
    I agree that Ljungskile have had a good season so far. It's nice to see promoted teams doing well. I personally thought that Norkopping were going to wow the Allsvenskan crowds and thought that LSK would struggle to pick up points but the opposite is the case. To win against Elfsborg, Trelleborg and Goteborg on the trot and then give Djurgarden a real game and come close to taking points off them was amazing. As a fan it must be frustrating after that run to lose to Halmstad and then at home to Norkopping, who have been struggling to win all season.

Where do you think realistically LSK will end up in the league? I really think Norkopping, Sundsvall and Gefle are the three serious relegation candidates. I was particularly unimpressed with Gefle's woeful performance against 10-man Hammarby when they were gifted a penalty.

Sorry I got carried away and forgot this was a Veikkausliiga thread, I'll add this comment to the Allsvenskan thread.