The USA will win a world cup before England's second

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Oct 12, 2013.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was watching the blond chick that works for NBC Sports, she is from England.

She sayd something like,

"Most Englishmen will bet pounds that Americans will win a world cup before England wins the second."

I though it was interesting... I wonder if most Englishmen think the same.

2. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't doubt it, I think the BPL would have to get rid of its big money foreigners and focus mostly on English players in order to get England another WC win.

3. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    British people are naturally pessimistic. Moaning about the state of football, the government , the NHS etc is a national past time.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Brits held that point of view.

I don't think either country is in the position to win a World Cup. But I would give England the edge because they already have the football infrastructure (8-tier pro/rel pyramid with 366 clubs). The US is decades behind when it comes to that kind of football infrastructure.

The problem with England is style of play. Big center-forwards are favored over smaller technical players. That's one reason why England is not an exporter of football players. The typical English player is not suited for the more technical European leagues. They need more players like Michael Owen(before his injuries) and less like Andy Caroll.

4. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    People are gonna laugh right now because they are making hard work of their group when it should be easy but make no mistake about what I'm about to say.... England is quietly adding pieces to their team that could win the WC. They need their defense and Joe Hart to have a monster World Cup. Sturridge and Rooney will score.

For this World Cup, the US needs more help than the English. Our defense hardly plays a mistake free match and the entire team has been inconsistent on offense. For us to win to win the WC, our defense will have to play the tournament of their lives and the attacking players will have to get really hot and take their chances on goal. The area that I'm least worried about is DM. Jones can and needs to defend well and let Kljestan and Bradley worry about the attack. If all this happens, we may stand a chance, even if we are to draw the group of death.

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I dont think the woman was talking about this world cup, but the others ones coming up, most likely Brazil will win this one coming up, then we have Germany, Spain and Argentina that are very strong candidates.

As far as the comment. On my personal experience, playing soccer with a team with about 20 Englishmen, they party a lot, the Americans on the team were much more hard workers, again that was just a personal observation.

Another thing that makes me believe we will win a world cup sooner than England is our Mix, we have a big mix of people from all over the world, the latin americans being a huge factor while the English are not that diverse in styles.

I hope I didnt offend any Englishmen with my comment but it was very interesting.

I remember when the European Cup was on, one of my teammates who was an "all american" college player asked me; "So what do think about England so far?" and I told him "I think they are doing good, they are not really favorites to win it." then I asked him "What are the expectations?" and he said "I dont know, I guess we dont really have expectations in England."

My impression of English players was that they are not bad players but they are not great either (Ronaldinho great) and they do like to party... that being said, I think that lady is correct, Americans will prob win a world cup before the English win another one, Americans seem to have a better work ethic.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something that disagrees with that:

http://afootballreport.com/post/644596805/group-c-its-easy says:
    "Group C: It’s EASY (England, Algeria, Slovenia, Yanks) isn’t it?

With Rooney, one of the top 5 players in football, Lampard, possibly the most clinical club midfielder in the world, and a host of patriots, talents and adulterers in the team, who can argue with the fact that England will dominate this group totally?"

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    I think the problem with England is that they believe there is a problem with England.

That said, I strongly believe USA will win one before England wins two. The momentum behind soccer is strong in America and America always produces amazing athletes. Its only a matter of time before the Michael Jordan/Babe Ruth/Peyton Manning of Soccer emerges....

8. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would English soccer players want to play abroad if they're good enough to play domestically? The only scenario I could see would be if a team like Barcelona outbid Man U for a world-class star. Players tend to leave their home countries for better opportunities and pay. That's a rare situation for an English player.

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    the teams that can afford english players dont really need them, nobody will pay that much for Rooney.

Madrid paid all that money for Bale mostly bc of marketing reasons, no way Bale is worth that much money, Bale is not even English.

When Madrid had the Galactico era, they went after Lampard and Gerard, they said "no." I mean, I would be scared too, going into a team with Zidane, Raul, Figo and Ronaldo on it.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Madrid paid all that money for Bale mostly bc of marketing reasons, no way Bale is worth that much money, Bale is not even English.

When Madrid had the Galactico era, they went after Lampard and Gerard, they said "no." I mean, I would be scared too, going into a team with Zidane, Raul, Figo and Ronaldo on it.[/quote]

I think Rooney is still pretty damn good.

Bale is Welsh, of course. And, IMHO, nobody is worth that much money. That was just an insane transfer fee. That said, he's a great player--but I think the move to Madrid might have been a mistake.

Lampard and Gerard both did the right thing; they're legends at Chelsea and Liverpool, respectively. That never would have happened for either of them at Madrid, once again IMHO.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Rooney is still pretty damn good.

Bale is Welsh, of course. And, IMHO, nobody is worth that much money. That was just an insane transfer fee. That said, he's a great player--but I think the move to Madrid might have been a mistake.

Lampard and Gerard both did the right thing; they're legends at Chelsea and Liverpool, respectively. That never would have happened for either of them at Madrid, once again IMHO.[/quote]

Rooney is a great player but not at the level where Madrid, Milan, Barcelona, Juventus or Bayern were going to brake the bank for him.

Lampard and Gerard should have gone, if they wanted to be into the Zidane's list...

Bale did the right thing, he wants glory just like Cristiano Ronaldo, may as well go for it while you are hot, one bad season could have kept Madrid out of the bid.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Did you even read the link that you quoted?

13. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets look at the US roster, who on the US roster would be considered for England at the moment? Howard, Guzan, Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Jones? With the exception of Howard every other guy on the list is a maybe. If you are starting regularly in the Premier League and American, you are going to Brazil. Not the case if you are English. Pretty clear indication of difference in talent levels.

Now we all know a team can be better than the sum of their parts, and US players seem to excel and play better for the National Team, and it seems a real burden for English players, I still think the quality of players available to England make them a favorite to win a 2nd before we get one.

14. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    Neither current squad really matters much as neither are likely to win it anytime relatively soon. That's not to say one of us couldn't get lucky and go on a streak and pull it off but its extremely unlikely if we're being honest.

The fact of the matter is the sport is as big as it can possibly be in England and this is what they've been doing for decades, muddling about at this level of play relative to the rest of the world. The EPL's English player content has been sliding. It is now UNDER 1/3 English. Include into that there are more Americans than ever playing in the EPL; we are the 6th most represented country there.

In MLS, the American content is 55% and the quality of that league continues to rise. As the money and popularity of the sport continues to rise in this country, the participation of better and better athletes will continue to rise. Thus, America is on an upwards trajectory while England has stalled, or worse, is regressing.

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The real truth is that hardly any Englishmen at all would have ever given the question any thought. The USA/England "rivalry" is entirely one-sided, and people in England don't measure the team against the USA the way that it seems to happen the other way round.

Why, for example, do you never see people asking whether the USA will win a world cup before the Dutch do?

Most, if asked, would probably say an English win is more likely, but no breath would be held waiting for either to happen.

Whereas the view in the USA does sometimes seem to be that the USA is on an unstoppable rise where intergalactic soccer domination is inevitable, in England the USA are more viewed along the lines of South Korea, Japan, Turkey, Australia etc, as teams that used to be hopeless but have got their act together now an are decent sides.

16. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think England is about where it should be in terms of soccer success, based on its population, economy and so on. Some of its fans may have high expectations due to the history of the sport in that country, certainly. But some of those expectations are unrealistically high. England will remain a top-tier soccer power for the foreseeable future, and will likely be competitive for the WC on-and-off, but it's unrealistic to expect the English NT to dominate the sport.

The US has a potential higher ceiling than England, but we also have limitiations due to the fact that soccer will likely never be as popular a sport here as it is in countries like England.

17. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but people eligible for England are still number 1 in the Premier League. Our Number 1 forward has yet to score a league goal for the worst team in the league. This is not to bash Jozy, I have more confidence in him as a striker than any US forward since Mcbride. But lets be real, if Jozy was English he wouldn't even be considered for their National Team.

Now I understand what you are saying about the trajectories being different but I don't agree with that either. There are massive advantages that the English national team has going forward when it comes to developing top English talent. England just opened up a new state of the art training facility. The FA has significantly more money to invest in elite level coaching than the US soccer federation. And the best athletes predominately go into soccer. To just name a few advantages.

Finally even if the trajectories are opposite it will take generations to overturn. This is the best US National team I have seen (at least on current form we shall see what happens in June). But still only a few would even be considered (and only as outsiders) for places on the England Squad. Now this is an improvement, 20 years ago there wasn't a player in the US set up who you could say this about. But it's taken 20 years to get a limited few. So how long until we could have a majority of players better? 20 years? 40? 60?.

So the quick answer is NO the US will not win it's first before England wins it's 2nd.

18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    England under performs severely based on the quality of their league, the popularity of the sport and their heritage. Their main issue is in youth development and their domestic way of playing. The English game traditionally centers on power and speed. In the meta game of international football those elements have become less important compared to passing, technique and creativity. Their football education is only slowly adapting to the changed game, especially compared to the way the Germans changed course a decade ago. Premier league sides are less involved in long term youth development due to the financial risk of relegation and will simply buy foreign talent to cover any deficiencies.

It's anyone's guess how fast the game in a country can develop. Spain went from also-rans to the dominant force in football in a very short period of time. Simply by having a great generation at the right time and football rules/game play changing to fit the qualities of their domestic style. I doubt they would have been world champion with these players, had they been born 20 or 30 years earlier.

It's very hard to predict when or even if the US will be a major contender in the future. A lot of factors are involved and there simply is not a single route to success. The potential is certainly there. If we look at the non traditional nations in soccer, I'd say Japan is probably the most successful at the moment. A dominant force in Asia and they are developing creative and technically sound players that play in a number of top leagues. I don't know what they do different from other countries but they found something that suits them.

19. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    England is a "descent" team, how can they think the US is "descent," that doesnt make much sense, we played them in the last world cup, remember...

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Decent not descent.

Prenn repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Babe Ruth was no-one's idea of an athlete. He happened to have great skill at a game that doesn't really prize fitness.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember where I read this, but I have read that his "out-of-shapeness" has been greatly exagerrated in the popular imagination; the fat guy who ate hot dogs right before the game, to the degree that he existed at all, was at the end of his career. During his peak, he actually took reasonably good care of himself (everybody smoked and drank back then, after all).

I think maybe it was in Cracked.com (yeah, not exactly a definitive source, but the guy who wrote it seemed to know what he was talking about). :unsure:

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a pretty realistic viewpoint.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I remember reading other accounts in other sources (that, of course, I can't conjure up, mostly because they were something like 20 years ago).

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.