The US Supreme Court Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A corporation is an artificial construct to shield the owners of the corporation from legal liability for any debts or misdeeds committed by the corporation. The tradeoff has been, of course, that corporations are not people, do not have God-given rights, and are not mere extensions of their owners.

But now, you would like to treat corporations as mere extensions of their owners and their belief systems. To which I say, "Fair enough," as long as the owners of a corporation are stripped of their liability protections.

You seem to be trying to do so, however.

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am aware of the reason people choose to incorporate and the protections that status provides. What you are asking the owners of those corporations to do is spend some of their money to do things they are not morally comfortable doing because someone else thinks they should.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be too flip about it, but life is full of tradeoffs.

I don't want to spend some of my money for some grifter to keep his wife and kid under Secret Service protection in the country's most expensive real estate market and fly hundreds of miles on Air Force One to play golf every damn weekend, while actively trying to screw things up for the people of this country during his rare non-golfing hours, and yet...

sitruc and flowergirl repped this.
  4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you.

I just think the employee that chooses to work there is the one that should make the tradeoff instead of forcing the entire company to conform to the wishes of a few.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean they don't die. Or at least, it's not inevitable that they die. They're like the Highlander, I guess.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Quality!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Cop Shoot Cop

Cop Shoot Cop Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    But it is not just "a few" who wish to mandate this. Granted, it may not be a majority of the US that wants this particular element of their insurance coverage to be included in what is offered by employers in general and Hobby Lobby in particular, but it is a substantial section of the public that does, and if they are able to get that enacted by a popularly elected government, then who is to say that that particular group, having engaged in a political process to see that change made, should not have primacy in making what is now, and perhaps always was, a political decision more than a religious one.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it would be government overreach.

Look, if HL was banning paying for all forms of contraception I would be with you, but my understanding is that HL wanted to not pay for the so-called "morning after" pill which was essentially an abortion pill.

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read his dissent on this and I don't agree with it either.

That's one decision, and one that I expected earlier in this conversation due to it being on all the left side talking point websites.

Did you read the one I linked to earlier? I am perfectly fine not agreeing with every decision but I do agree with the majority of what I have seen from Gorsuch.

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I joined the debate late. what page is it on?

12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/gorsuch-profile/

I have seen the frozen trucker opinion posted so often it seems to be the biggest issue people have with Gorsuch, and the HL opinion.

If you are looking for a SCJ you agree with 100% of the time it isn't going to happen. People oppose based on who is doing the nominating which is just lazy in my opinion. The nomination of Gorsuch is the only thing Trump has done that I am OK with.

13. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those decisions (at least to me) show him to be more concerned for the welfare of corporations than people. I don't want people like that on the Supreme Court. It's a moot point now, but...

14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually due to the way laws are written, in favor of corporations, as opposed to the way Gorsuch rules. In the link I posted, he addresses that by saying sometimes the laws are written that way and his job is to enforce laws the way they are written by the people's representatives.

That is the kind of person I want on the court. If you don't like the laws, work to change them. Don't expect the SC to do it because that's not their job.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fantastic pun.

Gorsuch is really a young man, Courtwise. I've never held any sort of belief that America is a great place to call home --it's always been one of the least bad places, which is different-- but I admit that I never expected the generations of civil rights work to be reversed so quickly. One Supreme now, and at least one more in the near future, likely.

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The Trucker was an agreegious one but it does concern me. The article seems to say that there moments when his beliefs or POV will be stronger than what the right wants him to do.

Essentially the biggest problem with Gorsuch is that he is a stolen seat. It taints an objective view of him. If it had been done normally and a liberal was appointed for Scalia and Gorsuch was replacing another Conservative, most wouldn't argue.

It is kinda like Ohio State getting the 4 seed over PSU then stinking it up!

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep. The Dems would have approved Gorsuch if the Republicans had played ball with the Democrats a year ago. Nobody would have argued. Obama had his time to make appointments, now it's Trump's time, and there was no smoking gun with Gorsuch.

18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Partisan politics.

Try not harboring child molesters.

:)

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt no one would have argued. Agree with the rest.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah true. I will rephrase. The Democrats would have pushed Gorsuch, gone on the record about how he has worrisome pro-corporation tendencies, made some speeches against him, and then not blocked the nomination. The Dems from purple states would have voted for Gorsuch, and the ones from the blue states would have abstained or voted against, and he would have gone through. Then the Dems from the blue states could go home and say they fought the good fight, and those from the purple could go home and say that they are reasonable people who can work both sides of the aisle. The usual process with a Supreme Court nominee.

Boloni86, flowergirl and stanger repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you buy stock in a corporation you can vote to kick out the board and executives. If the company is public.

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where are you getting your facts from? Hobby Lobby from what you can find online offers the birth control pill in their plan so yes they do in fact offer the main choices.

[​IMG]

https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/contraceptive-use-united-states

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Judges don't just enforce laws as they are written. Government laws are struck down on a regular basis.

I have no personal dislike of Gorsuch. I'm sure he'll treat his new career with the respect it deserves.

But I'm also not under the illusion that he'll be a down the middle vote. I expect him to be the 2nd most conservative judge after Clarence Thomas. This is a guy that was groomed and picked by The Federalist Society. We can use academic terms like "originalist" or whatever, but if you're looking at it from the left it's clear as day that he was nominated to advance a conservative agenda.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The GOP was willing to blow up the nomination process and the filibuster rule to keep a 5-4 conservative balance and hope the Dems win in 2018 and stab them in the face with these two precedents.
    The problem is all the older judges are on the left, maybe Thomas retires in 8 years but that is about it.

dapip repped this.
  25. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason a law would be struck down by the SC is because they go against the constitution as they are written. Now, each judge has their own interpretation of how certain laws fit/don't fit, and I do agree Gorsuch will be more right than left in his interpretation, I don't think he will be overly outspoken or controversial.

Which is what we should all look for in a SCJ.