The US Supreme Court Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After how many red cards?

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd go with massive coronary arterial failure after running 10 minutes in 100 degree heat and 100 percent humidity.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Throwing dirt on him before he steps off the plane... He's going to die of a broken heart if y'all don't get it turned around

4. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Why would he care? He's retired.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a crucial case, today the Supreme Court ruled narrowly against the Colorado Civil Rights Commission in the case of an LGBTQ couple denied service by a bakery in Colorado.

In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that Colorado’s enforcement of its civil rights law was flawed in this specific case -- but the Court also acknowledged the equal rights of LGBTQ people to be free from the indignities of discrimination. The Court’s decision also did not change our nation’s fundamental civil rights laws.

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was basically a punt by everyone except RBG and Sotomayor on the left and Thomas on the right. However, one interesting aspect is whether the Court goes on to apply Kennedy's "open hostility to religion test" to the travel ban case. Because 45 certainly expressed much more hostility to Muslims in public statements than this one Colorado CR commissioner did to the baker's religion here.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will have the same impact as due process claims did in Bush v. Gore.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another 15 lbs, and he'll be ready to hit the Chinese league.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is too old for China.

Actually he is not that old, he just looks much older than his age, low 30s is not that bad.

10. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    That’s my hope. They artfully dodged the LGBTQ vs Christian fundie conflict, so that lives to fight another day...probably when support for gay rights polls higher than it already does.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We're talking Rooney, right? He hit puberty at age 7, and has 100,000 beers under his belt. He's older than most 40 year olds.

onefineesq repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Hopefully that's after just one half season or DC is ********ed for years. Somebody should introduce him to pupusas.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would probably be the safer bet. But the fact that this was written by Kennedy is the curveball (to mix metaphors). First amendment cases are sort of his thing, so I wouldn't be completely surprised if he stayed consistent with what he wrote here.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, at the end of the day, the majority opinion was really about procedure, i.e., whether the baker got a fair hearing in light of the animosity toward religion expressed by the commission. As an aside, I agree with Ginsburg that the latter part of that statement is dubious and the commissioner's statement could just as easily be construed as animosity toward people using religion as an excuse to justify prejudice.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Practically speaking and regardless of the composition of the court, They weren’t going to be able to say much more than they did. It was a bad test case. The laws have changed in the interim making gay marriage legal.

Let’s say I own an outdoor shop and my religion centered on responsible stewardship of the land and in CO fishing permits were mandated to provide funding for public waterways/fishery restoration. I refuse to sell you a fishing pole because you’re taking it to MA, which has no prohibition against fishing without a license and they have no funding source to maintain this resource. So I refuse to sell you a fishing pole. Is that discrimination? What if I would agree to sell you a basketball or a tennis racket or a hunting rifle or even a fishing pole that wasn’t fully outifitted?

It’s not the same thing, but it does illustrate the weakness of the case. Today the case would be interesting, with gay marriage legal everywhere and presumably a better functioning review board. Probably not a case they’d actually take.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #316 yossarian, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    It might have been a bad test case, but I'm not sure it's for the reasons you cite. While same-sex marriage wasn't recognized in Colorado at the time the couple tried to purchase the cake, Colorado's anti-discrimination law at the time did prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. Also, and perhaps, more importantly, just because Obergefell hadn't been decided when this case was coming down the pipeline, the Court could certainly have ruled to remand the case for the Colorado courts to reconsider in light of Obergefell. That sort of the ruling happens fairly frequently to the extent that there's even an acronym for it: GVR (grant, vacate, remand). But that didn't happen here.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. How so?

We might see soon enough. There's a case out of Washington, Arlene's Flowers v. Washington, in which cert. is pending. There, Washington recognized gay marriage and had an anti-discrimination law at the time the florist shop refused to provide the couple with flowers.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The anti discrimination statute covered accommodation, which would include baked goods, but not necessarily “cake art” (phrase makes me retch, but whatevs).

The “cake artist” denied them some form of cake, but because the conversation turned south so quickly, it was impossible for both parties to reach an understanding of what was being denied. Per the “artist”, he explained to one of the couple’s mothers via phone call a day later, who was present for the store encounter, that the couple was welcome to purchase any “spec/standard” cake in addition to other baked goods for their wedding, but he wouldn’t be using his artistic ability, ie, speech/expression to decorate the cake or to create a custom cake. She never denied this, but this was never considered by the review board. The nature of the accommodation denial (or lack thereof) was never explored. Hostile? Maybe. In that respect what he wanted to offer the couple wasn’t much different than the cake maker who refused to create the anti-gay cake in CO, but agreed to make the cake and sell the frosting.

Gay marriage was at the time also not legal in Colorado, but it was in MA.

Questions (and I’m not an atty):
    1) is denying them a bespoke/“artful” cake refusal to accommodate?
    2) if a straight person wanted a cake for a gay wedding, does the discrimination statute apply? I’m assuming yes and that there is a straw purchase/fair housing case to support.
    3) If they couldn’t enter into legally recognized marriage in the jurisdiction of the baker/artist, what adequately accommodates the customer? Note: the case could be remanded, but that doesn’t change the fact that they could not enter into a legally recognizable marriage in CO at the time of the shop visit. He’s not denying them a cake, but an artful cake for something not legally recognized at the time of the meeting in the local jurslisdiction.

That’s where I was trying to go with the fishing pole. Maybe more applicable: a butcher’s religion forbids the use of alcohol but recognizes the free will of people to form their own opinions at the religion’s age of majority (21). The drinking age in the state is 21. Age is protected under the state’s anti discrimination accommodation statute. Two soon to be 18 year olds enter the shop to procure an artistically scored pig for a roast to have a boozer celebrating their upcoming 18th being held in another state, where drinking at 18 is legal (no longer applies, but go with it). The butcher/pig artist refuses on account of their age, his religion and the intended use of his “artistic creation”. He offers them anything from the precut case for their bbq or even a pig that isn’t scored with a message/decorative carvings. He states he would refuse sale of artistic pig to a 21 year old if he knew it was for an 18 year old’s “coming of age” boozer for the same reasons. The 18 year olds file a complaint and the fact the butcher was willing to serve them anything short of artistically scoring the pig was not admissible.

Same questions/restriction on use/speech/religious belief issues apply.

All of those issues IMO make this case is a crappy one where procedure rather than accommodation becomes the answer with the SC. That and the fact we’re talking abt cake messages and flower arrangements. I wanna see a case where an accountant refuses to do taxes for a gay bar. Or discriminatory issues related to healthcare, survivor benefits/succession planning, adoption rights, employment, etc. I’m not trying to diminish all of the daily aggressions LGBTQ community faces, but this case amounts to weeds and a tangled up set of weeds at that.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Can anybody explain to me why it's OK to toss a guy out of your store because he's wearing a MAGA hat, but it's not OK to refuse sales to a guy wanting a gay marriage?

I don't mean legally OK. I couldn't be bothered with that. I mean, why as a lefty I should feel as if my side is harmed, when (for me) we're doing just what we are complaining about.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I think I get you now. I'll cop to not having specifically read the Commission's order/opinion, but in Kennedy's opinion, he notes that one of Phillips's arguments before the ALJ was that compelling him to use his artistic skills to create a wedding cake for a same-sex marriage would be compelled speech, violating his free speech rights. The ALJ, thus, heard this argument but rejected it, as well as Phillips's argument that creating such a cake also violated his free exercise rights. The ALJ (as per the norm in these sorts of admin hearings) presented his/her findings to the Commission, which affirmed. So, I'm not sure to what extent the nature of the denial was not explored.

First, I know you're not an attorney, but at the risk of blowing too much smoke up your arse, your analytical skills are better than many attorneys I encounter (whether that's more a slam on how easy it is to pass a bar or a compliment to you or both, I don't know). But to your question --- this is the toughest question presented by the case (IMO) and one Kennedy acknowledges is tough but definitely punts on.

Yeah, I'd think so too.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. But I think it's important that the CADA did prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. Then, tacking on a full faith and credit argument, one could assert that it doesn't matter that Colorado didn't recognize same-sex marriages at the time, Phillips was nevertheless violating CADA. Additionally, and circling back to something I noted in my earlier reply, remands to consider a pending case in light of an expansion of constitutional rights established in a recently decided case occur frequently (although with regard to criminal defendants there's a ton of complicated jurisprudence regarding retrospective application that isn't necessary to discuss here). So the Court could essentially say, "yeah, we know SSM wasn't recognized in Colorado when this all went down, but it is now, so take another look in light of our Obergefell decision and get back to us." Not a satisfying result, I know, and doesn't answer the trickier speech question even if it might provide a clue on the free exercise question, especially if you couple such a directive with the Court's 1990 Employment Div. v. Smith case, addressing free exercise concerns when faced with a facially neutral statute.

Gotcha. I will say that the last few examples (survivor, estate planning, adoption) you mention are probably easier cases since you have the state involved in the alleged discrimination rather than a private individual claiming a violation of a free speech or exercise right.

crazypete13 repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would happen if a graduate of Bob Jones University refused to bake a wedding cake for an interracial couple? It's the same principle.

21. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I get what you're saying. I get frustrated with the double standards many of my lefty counterparts use when it comes to being offended or regulating speech. It's hard to separate the legal from the non-legal here, but I'll try:

The hat is speech. Political views/affiliation are often protected, and IMO do go to the core of who someone is, but the manner in which you express those views (or don't) is not. I should not be able to kick someone out for wearing a religious symbol or attire that reflects ethnic/religious affiliation in common use. I can kick someone out of my store for dress code, what they say in my store, their behavior. I shouldn't be able to kick out a Trump voter for simply being a Trump voter. But the hat? Yeah. I can't kick someone out of my store for being gay. But using the same logic, I should be able to kick them out for wearing a Pride shirt. That seems fair and consistent to me at least.

IMO, I shouldn't deny a MAGA guy a cake that says "Congratulations Donald and MIke" with the inauguration date on it any more than I should deny a gay couple " Congratulations A and B" with their wedding date on it. That's boiler plate/common sense. But it's hard to distinguish boiler plate/common sense from original/creative content.

JohnR repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gracias. Good explanation all the way around, and this quoted part makes sense.

23. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I dont know why anyone would want a cake made by someone who didnt want to bake them a cake. Better a drooping incompetent monstrosity made by the lady down the street with love than a professional delight made by an asshole.

FormerGermanGuy, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Perhaps it is because they are bigots themselves? "Bake me a cake, Bigot".

If you read the backdrop you would know the guy never refused them service in the past.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the product right, he would have sold them a weading cake, but it was I believe about wording on the cake.