The U2 Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Jul 6, 2015.

1. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    He missed everything because even before that he mentions mls teams will be making annocments

jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you need a college? Play at ppl or the training field with some seating installed.

6. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm not sure @thomas19064 missed anything. The blogger is asserting that Philly "will almost certainly " Have a team because of this quote linked to a Zeitlin article “We’re looking at all options,” Sakiewicz said. So a blogger quoted a blogger quoting legendary truthiness guy Nick Sakiewicz saying "maybe".

Clearly. Sounds like a done deal to me, and any of you who doubt it are Negadelphians.

7. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, I skimmed the article really briefly and basically came to the conclusion that if USL is already locked in for next season then we would of been farther a long than we seemingly are... totally missed the Philly call out because it was late at night and apparently I like getting myself angry before bed...my line of thinking came from every other report has made it seem like the Union are in the very early exploratory stages of USL stuff...

I'll also admit to having zero faith in the FO and always assuming the worst.

I'll be cautiously optimistic for now.

riot71 repped this.
  8. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sorry, should have used sarcastic font. I doubt the Union's ability to get dressed and drive to the stadium without hurting themselves. Some bs blog about "we are thinking about it " sounds incredibly far from a reality. I just hope they use the same cocktail napkin from "How to Own an MLS Club" to lay out the strategy for USL.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently USL requires at least 3000 seats. In upgrading to division 2 status that requirement might go up.

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then PPL works...

Dills repped this.
  11. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took them 5 years of putting sod on layaway to get a training field, and you think they have enough money for benches?

12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but they are cheap enough to double up on Saturdays

13. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    USL acts like its MLS partnership is driving its stock up but the attendance numbers for "2" teams are downright embarrassing. Real Monarchs are the only 2 team that average more than 3000 a game, Portland and Seattle crack 2000, and there are four "2"s that draw less than a thousand a match (LA, NYRB, Montreal, and Toronto.) Pushing for D-II status on the back of those numbers might be tough. Their non-affiliated teams do significantly better, including HCI.

From Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_USL_season

14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Attendance number for the "2" teams is totally irrelevant. It's not like the MLS sides are going to abruptly fold and ditch the league over poor attendance, MLS teams are in it for development, generally that's all that matters to them. In return the USL gets more stability and a dramatically larger league footprint, something that they never really had before. The MLS teams have also brought in a high level of quality generally. LA II and Seattle II are among the best teams in the league, and now USL is seen as a direct gateway to MLS teams for aspiring players. The partnership helps big time...

15. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    LA2 is one of the best teams in the league and averages less than 1000 a match? Ringing endorsement.

I don't think the partnership is a waste but the numbers really indicate that this is a D-3 league smashed together with a reserve league. Charging towards D-2 status is a total power play.

Anyway, the purpose of my original post was really to question the need for stadiums with a capacity of larger than 3000.

16. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    LA1 is the best team in the league and still struggles with attendance.

17. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ha. Great. I'm sure LAFC fixes everything.

18. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's more to smart expansion that just having markets that will put up "sexy" attendance figures.... LAFC, NYCFC, ATL, Miami... All smart moves for reasons other than support.

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Gio Dos Santos on board now......don't think attendance is going to be a struggle for them any more....

20. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Does your landlord allow you to pay rent in warm, fuzzy feelings that can't be quantified? Attendance pays the bills. You don't get TV contracts or sponsors without getting attendance.

I don't think there's anything smart about operating a team in a sexy market that doesn't show up to games (see U.S.A., Chivas).

21. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You also don't get (big) TV contracts without major markets and big time players. LA/Miami/NY.... Destination cities.... LA/NY/ATL... MAJOR media markets... All 4 of those teams will be big spenders... Big markets + Big Players + Big Money = Bigger TV rating and more TV Money.... with more attention and more tv money, more spending and players will come and more attendance will come naturally.

Attendance can only pay the bill up until a certain point.. after that it's all about TV and that's what the league needs to grow.

Chivas USA was a failure for every reason except the LA market.

Richard Saunders, lopezzzz and Tyr repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there are rules in place that limit the amount of traffic allowed onto the campus of Cal State Dominguez Hills on evenings and weekends.

jaykoz3, Starpork and BuddhaWake repped this.
  23. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jaykoz3 and thomas19064 repped this.
  24. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009