The U2 Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the sake of consolidating discussion in order to keep Dills from pulling his hair out, I figured it was about time for this thread. U2 seems to be edging closer and closer towards reality. Let the song title puns begin!

http://www.mcall.com/sports/columnists/mc-ppl-park-feature-0703-20150706-story.html

2. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As a Lehigh Valley native, I want to be excited about this... I'm trying. It could be kind of cool.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still haven't found what I'm looking for..............

Isn't this just like having a team in Harrisburg? Of course the Union actually owning this team and operating it should be a huge advantage in terms of player development. I'm remaining skeptical until this is a reality, and the Union utilize it correctly.

goindownsouth repped this.
  4. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a dedicated #2 team that we can actually control would be pretty cool. But, knowing the Union, all we'd end with is a ....

wait for it ....

[​IMG]

billf, Handsome Pete and goindownsouth repped this.
  5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The First Time I read about a possible Union-owned USL Pro team, I thought it would be the Sweetest Thing. However, I fear that the promise of a one would be Even Better than the Real Thing.

I Will Follow the goings-on of this lower-division team both Night and Day, but if it's located in the Lehigh Valley, I hope both teams will train together at their "the state-of-the-art practice field".

billf, cwelch999, buzzkiller23 and 9 others repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as the name U2 is totally amazingly awesome, I'm hoping for Bethlehem Steel FC.

7. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? So the Union could take a Diamond legacy and turn it into a lump of coal?

derek750, billf, cwelch999 and 7 others repped this.
  8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The good folks of the Lehigh Valley should understand that When Sak Comes to Town, your soccer team ends up really Bad. Most Philly soccer fans will feel Numb at this news of Sak's latest Mysterious Ways. Meanwhile, M'Bohli's transfer has hit another snag but it's OK, Sak says, (Sugar) Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car.

cwelch999, Handsome Pete, Tyr and 3 others repped this.
  9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the opposite of the Midas Touch?

10. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lehigh Valley is just about the dumbest place the Union could put their USL team. Yeah the Bethlehem Steel thing sounds cool sounds cool but it is too far away to get the full player development benefit. I suspect fan support could be tough too. Newark or Lancaster makes a lot more sense as does playing DHs with the first team like NYRB and Montreal do.

11. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not trying to be antagonistic here, but I am curious... How is a place like Lancaster or Newark (NOT in Pennsylvania, btw) any more advantageous when compared to the Lehigh Valley? The soccer vibe in the Valley is on the upswing, for sure. It will never be perfect, but location-wise, it makes more sense than taking them to BFE nowhere.

Fan support for USL Pro ebbs and flows based on the club and organization. I have been to many a Charleston Battery match and they ran a damn fine operation. Still do. Many other franchises? Not so much.

Just my $0.02.

12. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick was quoted as saying a big problem with Harrisburg is that it is too far away from Chester for the 1st team and USL Pro team to train together. The teams were supposed to try it this year and it apparently didn't work out. Bethlehem are pretty far away as well. I am also unaware of any ready made stadium or partnership in the Bethlehem area.

To me Newark makes the most sense. UofD has an up and coming D1 soccer program, a nice soccer specific stadium, reasonable parking at the sports complex and easy I95 access. It is also close enough to Chester to co-train. I'm not sure why being in PA is so important when Chester is essentially on the border with Delaware and just across the bridge from NJ.

I mentioned Lancaster because HCI did their pre-season games there. The Lancaster/York area has also produced quite a few US youth players in recent times. It would be nice to see the Union expand into the area and steal that talent away from PA Classics. Lancaster's big drawback is that it is only a little closer to Chester than Bethlehem. Co-training would be a challenge.

13. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. It does nothing to expand the footprint of the fan base. Half the people who sit around me at games are from Delaware because the stadium is essentially on the PA-DE border. Heck, it's probably easier to get to Chester from Wilmington than it is from Center City.

It makes more sense to me to put the affiliate either over the bridge in Jersey or in the northern or western Philly suburbs, close enough to train with the big team, but far enough away to expand the footprint to new/casual fans for whom the trek to Chester isn't worth the effort. There are several small colleges with satisfactory facilities in those areas that should be sufficient for their needs.

14. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only partnership Sak had up there was to ride the SteelStacks coattails on the World Cup watch parties. The real reason he wants the first and second team to train together is that he doesn't have to pay for two entire coaching staffs. Still amazed the club isn't sponsored by Summer's Eve because Nick is straight up douche.

15. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sak of Sh!t?

16. aequitas

aequitas Member

Philadelphia Union
    Aug 7, 2011
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope they don't name it U2.

cwelch999 repped this.
  17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best case scenario is the team is located in Chester.
    Any owned and operated team is good but for full benefits the closer the better IMO. Fan support is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, the U2 team should be about development.

aztec21bas repped this.
  18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyr, wouldn't it be appropriate for you to change your avatar now to a band from Ireland?

19. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they build a new stadium where the streets have no name, right between the discoteque and the Elevation Burger. And if you don't like it, well, we'll do it with or without you. Stay (faraway, so close!) tuned for more details.

cwelch999, Tyr and Dills repped this.
  20. Mstots7

Mstots7 Member

Aug 16, 2014
    horsham, pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't really like U2 but the song It's a Beautiful Day is pretty good.

21. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In short, standards an practices in the trademark world would likely not allow that... Not without the band receiving what I would gather as being gross compensation for use of their brand. If we know investment is involved, we know Sak would be far, far removed from it.

22. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    There is a cover band called 2u that would probably be easier to buy the rights to :)

23. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And would be far more representative, perhaps, of the level of investment by the current ownership group...

24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think I'd drive to northern PA for minor league soccer as much as I've gone up for minor league baseball. Or never.

25. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to every Reserve League game that was played at Chester Park. Everyone goofed on the whole Chester Park thing, but it was a good time. 100% certain I would not drive up to Lehigh Valley or out to Lancaster for a USL game. Maybe once per year. Closer to home, say within a 20-25 minute drive, I'd go to every one. The team will draw more fans closer to Chester than they ever will elsewhere. However, fans should be way down the priority list. Development of players must be number one.

cwelch999, UnionDues, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.