The U.S. U19 program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I too had noticed Ferri's absence from both of @ussoccer97531 's U18 and U19 teams. Right now we just never see him with our own eyes. Same for a player like Indiana Vassilev at Aston Villa, who I believe was also left out of the analysis.

TO be honest, one player I'm really skeptical of is Taylor Booth. People have him listed over the likes of Blaine Ferri and Thomas Roberts on these teams...……………..based on what? He just has Bayern Munich next to his name. We've never seen him for Bayern Munich, but that's what it does for you.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #102 ussoccer97531, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    I saw him play earlier in the year for the U-19's. My opinion didn't change. Ferri hasn't developed in the last couple of years, IMO. Why not tout Shaver or Vazquez or Watts or Budnik? Being on the U-17 WC team doesn't make you a high-level prospect.

Is Ferri better than Angking? Tab Ramos didn't think so. I don't think so.

@Clint Eastwood, your point about Booth, Ferri and Roberts is littered with disagreements on my part.

1. They play different positions. Booth is a #6 who can play further forward due to good attacking skills, but his main role is as a deep-lying playmaker. Ferri is a #8/10. I think he's that Hyndman tweener type of player positionally. Roberts is an attacking midfielder. I think he's best as a #10, but I think he could be used out wide or as a #8 in a pinch. He's similar positionally to Pomykal. I don't see why we are comparing players who play different positions.

2. The reviews of Ferri have not been very positive. I think everyone wishes the kid well in his career and wants him to do well, but his performance at the U-17 WC was terrible. He was the weak link, and kept getting starts. It hurt the team. During the latter part of the cycle, his ability relative to his teammates fell off. I think we see why he signed with a 2. Bundesliga team instead of a Bundesliga team. We've seen 00's sign with clubs like PSG, Hannover (2), Werder Bremen, Schalke. Ferri signed with Greuther Furth.

3. I think its fair to be skeptical of Booth. He hasn't played any club games all year, although he has played YNT games and performed well. If you are worried that he earned his reputation prior to this year, and his lack of club minutes shows he's not developing, I understand that argument. It would've been good for him to be getting game time somewhere this year. I also think that its silly to question whether he earned a contract with Bayern Munich. He has always been one of the highest rated 01's. Thats due to his performances and skill-set. He was highly rated way before he signed with Bayern Munich.

4. Is Roberts a better prospect than Booth? Maybe. I don't think its a ridiculous argument to make, but I wouldn't make it. What's the motivation for making it? Has Roberts been especially good recently?

3. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Wow, it will be weird next year with Booth and Roberts probably playing on the same Bayern U19 team. I hadn’t even really thought about this.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My main point was sorta that I just don't get to see Ferri or Booth or Vassilev on a daily basis. Its hard for us to include them as much on these rosters. We have opportunities to see Thomas Roberts, for instance when he played really well against Arsenal at the most recent Dallas Cup.

I'm always skeptical of players that I never get to see...………...until I see them. I need to see Booth and Ferri and Vassilev and others next to the current group of U20s.

As you know, I think the folks advising Ferri made some horrible mistakes.
    I don't really get what their development plan over the past two years has been.

5. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I get that you are a fan of Roberts, but this is what I love about football - the fact that people can have such differentiating opinions.

I watched the Arsenal game in person and I thought Roberts was absolutely dreadful. For me and other scouts in attendance, the game was way to fast for him and he constantly gave the ball away. So much so that Hayden subbed him early in the second half.

To be fair to the kid, he has had some decent appearances with the U19's, but he is the one signing I really don't understand.