The U.S. U19 program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    College?!? Whatever for?

Pl@ymaker and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  2. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I know. Here's the article. Committed to Berkeley, though obviously that can change.

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Very frustrating. The kids talk and talk about their dreams. What about our dreams?

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Far too many of our top prospects are still playing college soccer.

There have been 54 players called up to the U20 team so far this cycle and 25 more just called up to the U19s. Of those... 27 have committed to playing college soccer as freshmen this fall and seven others are returning as sophomores or juniors.

Several more are in the class of 2019 and their post-HS plans aren't known.

This is a system everyone agrees is highly flawed. Yet few in positions of power will even acknowledge it's an issue, let alone do something about it.

5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I imagine most of these kids were with non-MLS academies? And I don't put a ton of stock into some college commitments because it's solely a backup plan for some. Nobody ever thought Marc Pelosi and Paul Arriola would end up at UCLA even though they signed scholarship papers.

We'll be adding 5 new MLS academies in the next 4-5 years and with the aggressiveness shown in recruiting out of area kids by academies recently, these numbers should continue to decrease.

But there will still remain some outliers.

ussoccer97531 and Stupid_American repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jake Arteaga (LA Galaxy) - Portland
    Charlie Asensio (Atlanta) - Clemson
    Christian Cappis (Dallas) - SMU
    Jean-Julien Foe-Nuphaus (San Jose) - California
    Sam Fowler (Seattle) - Washington
    Justin Garces (Atlanta) - UCLA
    Wilson Harris (Kansas City) - Louisville
    Matt Hundley (Colorado) - UCLA
    Aboubacar Keita (Columbus) - Virginia
    Justin McMaster (Philadelphia) - Wake Forest (Soph.)
    Glademir Mendoza (Salt Lake) - New Mexico
    Trey Muse (Seattle) - Indiana (Soph.)
    Isaiah Parente (Columbus) - Wake Forest
    Johan Penaranda (NYCFC) - Pittsburgh
    Jeremy Rafanello (Philadelphia) - Penn State
    Justin Rennicks (New England) - Indiana (Soph.)
    AJ Seals (Orlando) - NC State
    Sebastian Soto (Salt Lake) - California
    Greg Tracey (Colorado) - Portland
    Aristotle Zarris (LA Galaxy) - Wake Forest
    Sean Zawadzki (Columbus) - Georgetown

Zamphyr, ielag, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    #82 largegarlic, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    I do see how it would be tough for guys to make the college vs. pro decision in some cases. If you're not a surefire star at the U-whatever national team level, you might have legitimate questions about whether or not you can make it as a pro. You could take a shot at the pros, and if you're still stuck in a lower division by your early- to mid-20s, you could bail and go back to school.

However, if you go that route, you won't get a soccer scholarship and are looking at ~$200K in debt to go to a top-tier school. If you're 17 and a school like Stanford, Cal, Georgetown, etc. comes around offering you a full ride, that'd be tough to turn down. You'd always have the option of going pro sometime in those 4 years if an enticing offer pops up, but if not, you'd get a free degree and would probably walk into a six-figure starting salary upon graduation.

TimB4Last repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One year of college soccer doesn't bother me.

Last year, Mason Toye, Brandon Servania, and Mark McKenzie were in the NCAA for about four months, then moved on to the pros. No biggie.

It's the lingering that's the problem. It's particularly tough for these non-MLS DA kids - without foreign offers the only route to the pros is the GA program (which signs mostly foreign college kids now, it seems) or taking a big risk with a USL contract.

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soto has an offer from UCal where if he plays there just one season (one semester), he has a scholarship for life at the school. He can come back in his 30’s after his pro career is over and finish his degree for free - 7 semesters

Kombucha, KUSA77, justinpaul10 and 13 others repped this.
  10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #85 SUDano, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Are you sure that's how it works? Isn't his scholarship tied to his soccer playing ability.

NCAA Division I men's Soccer teams have an average roster size of 29 players but only a maximum of 9.9 athletic scholarships to award per team. This means the average award covers only about 1/3 of a typical athlete's annual college costs - and this assumes the sport is fully funded at the sponsoring school.
    This says nothing about coverage for a prior soccer player in his 30's.
    And most colleges give yearly renewable scholarships and not 4 yr scholarships. They are only for one year, and they’re renewable at the school’s discretion.
    http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

11. Kysoccer79

Kysoccer79 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    I would presume it’s one of these:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a6a62c3f1255

I know other schools aside from the one in this article offer them as well.

TimB4Last repped this.
  12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SUDano repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with @Balerion. One semester isn't bad. They'll probably play more soccer in that one semester than they would in USL. The issue is playing longer than one semester.

I don't blame any of these players. Its their life. They have to make a choice thats best for them. If they think getting an education right now is as important to them as having a footballing career, its not my place to say they are wrong.

At the same time, I don't think there's much doubt here that they are hurting their footballing development if they play longer than a semester in college soccer with keepers being the only exception. How many players can overcome getting less than optimal development from ages 18-22? Not many, so we might as well just write the 3-4 year college soccer players off as a whole group, and recognize that we will be wrong about a handful or so per cycle who turn into the Besler's, Cameron's, Gonzalez's, etc.

14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess we'll see him in preseason next year. There's no way I'd turn that down if I was him.

bshredder repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TimB4Last repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also agree that isn't bad at all. Cannon also did that at UCLA, came back to FCD and sat on the bench last year (grrrrrr) and this year looks like a veteran. I suspect that moving away from home (college or USL) for a bit helps kids grow up faster too. A big piece of the puzzle would be if the NCAA's and colleges turned into real places for development like they are for football and basketball and somewhat are for baseball. Same rules, really good coaches, full seasons etc. Not going to happen but could sure fill in some gaps if it did.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Going off my best 20 in the U-20 thread. Here's my current best 23 for the U-19's that includes players not on that list. Would like this to be the next U-19 call up list.

GK: Dos Santos, Fowler, Budnik
    DF: Dest, Watts, Bailey, Asensio, Arteaga, Crain, Nuphaus, Shaver
    MF: Sands, Zawadzki, Goslin, Angking, Amaya, Mendez, Hundley, Mines, Jones
    FW: Holcomb, Rafanello, Akinola

Alternates: Penaranda, Pinho, Almaguer, Brisco, Ofeimu, McGann, Seals, Murphy, Aaronson, Ferri, Teves, Acosta, Reyes, Hernandez, Pereira, Padilla

Dos Santos
    Dest-Arteaga-Crain-Asensio
    Sands-Goslin
    Mendez
    Hundley-Holcomb-Jones

19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I definitely wouldn't turn that down for even an MLS offer at this point.

~$300,000 value for the back half of one pro season where you will likely just play USL and you can play USL during that time anyway.

KUSA77, TxEx, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Something is up with Padilla. He hasn't played for FCD in a while now.
    Injured I think........................

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Best possible U-19 team.

GK: Garces, Dos Santos, Fowler
    DF: Dest, Lindsey, Gloster, Asensio, Richards, Crain, Sands, Keita
    MF: Durkin, Zawadzki, Mendez, Goslin, Angking, Carleton, Ledezma, Hundley, Jones
    FW: Sargent, Soto, Weah

Garces
    Dest-Richards-Keita-Gloster
    Durkin
    Ledezma-Mendez
    Carleton
    Sargent-Soto

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacobo Reyes?

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he'd be in the second best 23. The last two spots were hard to pick for this team, so I think there could be an argument for him there.

24. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I haven't seen any of his games but heard Ferri scored for Greuther Furth recently and is doing pretty well. He was an every game starter at the U17WC and quietly goes about his business.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A little too quietly, apparently.

bballshawn repped this.