The Two Escobars - documentary

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by Scotty, May 4, 2010.

1. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His brother el sachi wasn't

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: The Two Escobars - documentary RECHAZADO POR LA FAMILIA

Familiares del desaparecido futbolista colombiano Andrés Escobar, asesinado en 1994, expresaron hoy su rechazo al documental 'Los dos Escobar', producido por el canal de deportes ESPN, y a la vez se alegraron porque ya no será transmitido por el canal de televisión colombiano RCN, como se tenía programado.

Santiago Escobar, hermano de Andrés, a través de un comunicado aseguró que su familia estaba profundamente sorprendida y molesta, "porque realmente fue un engaño lo que hicieron los periodistas americanos, luego de hablar con mi hermana y con la ex novia de Andrés", señaló Santiago Escobar en rueda de prensa.

VER RESTO ACA: http://www.colombia.com/futbol/Noti...-rechaza-documental-sobre-la-vida-del-jugador

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  4. Uzuriaga

Uzuriaga Member+

Feb 9, 2009
    Estocolmo
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I haven't seen the documentary nor am I an expert on the true story, however I think it's never a good idea to try to silence stuff you don't aggree with. If the documentary is BS then you can make another one with the true story and attack the lies, if there are any.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The doc made both of them look like heros but I see nothing wrong with what they said about Andres. Only kind of controvisal thing was that at the end they said there was no way if Pablo was alive that he would have let Andres die like that.

I liked the documentry personally, some people here didn't because of old wounds but it was very informative especially how basically everyone in Medillen and the NT was effected by Pablo and was kind of double edged sword. Just kid of werid how when Pablo dies there are people that saw him as the Messiah.

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Brought me to tears. Like any documentary they oversimplify somethings (like glossing over the fact that Colombia had participated at and done well at the 90 WC) and miss other aspects entirely to maintain the coherence of their narrative - but I didn't feel like those editting choices were either misleading or damaging to the folks involved.

The narrative of Pablo Escobar as 'Robin Hood' that the Zimbalist's present is neither new or original but it fits the bill in the sense that it was clearly the image Escobar himself tried to create and he had successfully won over a significant portion of the populace with his public facing acts of altruism - that doesn't change the fact that he was a villain of enormous proportions who put into place remarkably complex schemes to achieve nefarious gains (like the campaign against extradition to insure he could be imprisoned domestically).

What most killed me was listening to Maturana in his awful attempts to wax intellectual. At one poignant moment, he notes that the issue Colombia had prior to 1990 was that they 'played scared' and felt like they couldn't play freely. He credits himself with enacting a system that would allow them to play freely and engender them the confidence with which to 'express themselves with football' as he puts it. The irony is, of course, that ever since that loss to Romania in the opening game of the cup - Maturana himself has contributed remarkably to a return to playing absolutely scared by our players - we've become again (under his leadership at various instances) the exact image of fear and nervousness - finding ways to snatch defeat away from possible victories.

He often says that 'perder es ganar' because you learn from your losses - but it feels watching the documentary that we learned a lot of the wrong things from those lessons and that his school of mgmt hasn't moved on.

1 person likes this.
  7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    from what i remember of those games in 94 (i can hardly remember the games of the this past world cup, haha) but we started off playing brilliant and were just unable to finish - combination of bad luck and brilliant defense by usa and romania and then we would make a single mistake which led to early leads by US and Romania and our meltdowns would begin.

sure there were all the distractions before the games and off the pitch but both of those losses just came down to USA and Romania capitalizing on our mistakes and colombia generating little momentum when behind in those games...

8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The back story makes those games even more heartbreaking though - those people were under horrific stress.

9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    out of curiousity - there were many references to alex garcia from nacional and i never understood why he wasn't on the NT in either 90 or 94 world cups considering maturana was his club coach and garcia was the captain of nacional in the glory days.

any insight?

10. Uzuriaga

Uzuriaga Member+

Feb 9, 2009
    Estocolmo
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    whenever I hear "the two escobars" I aways think about the movie with Jack Nicholson called "the two jakes", incidently in that movie there is a character called "captain lou escobar".

Worthless knowledge..

LGRod repped this.
  11. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because of misunderstandings with national team coach Francisco Maturana Alexis Garcia missed the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy. His last game for the Colombian national team was on August 1993 against Paraguay. Garcia played a total of 24 games for Colombia, in the which he scored 2 goals. Garcia's greatest frustration was not being chosen to play for Colombia in any world cup, even when most of the country wanted him to play alongside Carlos Valderrama.

thats according to wikipedia, no idea if thats true or not.

12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, I recall that the big controversy at the time was why Maturana wouldn't field Harold Lozano - who was in terrific form at the time in the first two matches...

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    lejos de futbol por un momento

No les parece que lo que pasa en mejico hoy en dia es un recuerdo muy triste de lo que nos pasaba in late 80's and 90's?

de medellin a cali....

14. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    si parecido, y a esos mexicanos que les encanta decir que colombia son todos narcos y que ir a colombia es un peligro. Vea hay lo tienen en su propio patio, para que sigan hablando.

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    si antes existia la mordida a todo nivel
    se imagina ahora que hay narcodolares por todos los estratos sociales?

16. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

i believe lou escobar is from Chinatown, unless The Two Jakes includes him as well. :)

17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    so i guess noone knows why alexis garcia was not on the NT for the 90 WC (other than what is stated on wikipedia)? this is when i first started watching soccer in general and back then there was no "internet" nor message boards nor myp2p.eu to watch games.

18. Uzuriaga

Uzuriaga Member+

Feb 9, 2009
    Estocolmo
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It does, "the two jakes" is chinatown part 2

1 person likes this.
  19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wasn't born sorry :p

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    pacho maturana left him behind
    alexis was a stand out the same yrs pibe valde was doing his best futbol, it was a hard a decision from pacho and hernan......he mentioned last month in a conference about past WCs.

what they said in wikipidia? I never use that....half trash the rest is opinon from fans a lil bias

21. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    in wikipedia it basically said that there was a disagreement between garcia and maturana - which i never have been able to find anything that dug deeper into that - especially b/c AG was the nacional captain with so many players from nacional on that team despite how good valderamma was at the same time.

like i said earlier, given that our sources of info were limited back then and i was only 10 years old, i wish i knew the whole story.

wiki is good for getting facts and finding out where players came from and gives good info on stats from pretty far back depending on what teams/players you're looking up. any of the opinion stuff i disregard but keep it in mind until i get facts.

wikipedia is good for fans who want to know about soccer info prior to when they first started watching. for me, wiki has been useful for pre 1994 info where i was a novice fan and didn't know any better about anything other than who the marquee names were and wiki has improved a lot in terms of stats for players i can't follow on a regular basis today...

22. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    I've noticed crazy updates profiles on wikipedia, not sure if you guys should take that into consideration.

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    nevertheless - it's a good starting point....

24. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    and many more loki him.....bring info that confuses the rest
    damage to the source is done- I never go there, I kind of trust more the SEARCH feature in bigsoccer.

25. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I watched the movie today. I liked it, I learnt more but it's also a tough movie to watch, brought me back to the age of 14, where I experienced my biggest tragedy as a soccer fan.....:( I'll never forget July 3nd, 1994 when I herd this horrible news on the radio.

btw, Andres's girlfriend was very pretty back then and still is. poor girl.

RIP, el caballero de las canchas.