The Trump Presidency :::

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just on the Christopher Steele 'bit', he was allegedly 'head of the Russian desk at MI6', IOW head of the Russian dept. at our foreign intelligence service.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #152 Cris 09, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    No, it is not about Hillary and it has nothing to do with the unwillingness to accept that she lost. As soon as you can get over the fact that people are over the fact she lost - we can move on and have an intelligent discussion.

No one believes Russia sent in people to vote for Trump. No one believes Russia hacked the voting machines. That is not what "influencing" an election means. Do you actually think the United States sent people to vote in Nicaragua in 1990?

I am unable to believe you. As stated earlier, if roles were reversed, I believe you'd be here shouting, "Lock her up, Lock her up, Lock her up, Lock her up, Lock her up," This is purely based on your responses and comments on this thread. I think you are "party before country" type of person.

Wait - so it is OK for outside influences to hack into the election process in the US because of shitty security? Don't look now, but Trump's administration and Trump himself is making accusations of leaks. That's the United States government for you - not the GOP, not the DNC, not the RNC. But you don't care - it's their fault. Shitty security system and all, right?

InTheSun, TimB4Last and sitruc repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my wording was bad.

There's no evidence of collusion in the public domain.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They didn't have to... they could rely on the GOP for that bit...

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/us/politics/waiting-times-to-vote-at-polls-draw-scrutiny.html

As a comparison, this is an article from the grauniad about the EU referendum voting where the turnout was high, (roughly 72% overall)...

Well... quite!

Here's another...

[​IMG]

Which the daily hate-mail described as...

Record numbers: Voters queue to enter a polling station in Reading at 7am as 46.5m have the chance to vote today - the highest number in history.

Oh, the horror :eek:

:giggle:

sitruc repped this.
  5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way about Jill Stein voters, frankly.

ElJefe, Deadtigers, Moishe and 2 others repped this.
  6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #156 Cris 09, Mar 21, 2017
    I don't know if there is a NATO thread and frankly, I am over-loaded with threads so i will post this here. Apologies in advance.

How does Germany contribute to NATO?
    http://www.dw.com/en/how-does-germany-contribute-to-nato/a-38033967

[​IMG]

Support: More than money

"But Berlin has offered more than monetary resources to the alliance. "Germany is contributing some 4,700 personnel for ongoing operations for whom the security architecture of NATO, the EU, the United Nations and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) form the frame," according to NATO headquarters.

In February, 450 Bundeswehr soldiers and 30 tanks arrived in Lithuania as part of NATO's "enhanced forward presence" in the Baltic region.

Last year, Germany provided the main support ship for NATO's deployment to the Aegean Sea to "conduct reconnaissance, monitoring and surveillance of illegal crossings" in Greek and Turkish territorial waters at the height of the migration crisis.

Berlin has approximately 980 soldiers stationed in Afghanistan for NATO's Resolute Support mission, which aims to "train, advise and assist the Afghan security forces and institutions" after the end of the decade-long International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission.

Germany also represents the second-largest contributor to NATO's Kosovo force (KFOR) with 550 troops deployed to maintain a "safe and secure environment in Kosovo."

Deadtigers, sitruc and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The Left" went after Hillary pretty hard, actually. Jill Stein and the Greens are STILL much more focused on destroying the Democrats than on resisting Trump.

Moishe, Dr. Wankler and sitruc repped this.
  8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #158 usscouse, Mar 21, 2017
    In short Trump voters.
    I think this is the point of Brummies post.

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    After the Town hall type meeting in Kentucky with Bernie Sanders. I was feeling sorry for the FOOLS who were duped by their con man.

Then they had that "Campaign Rally" there yesterday. One question that didn't come up was "Who will head the death squad?"

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Jim Himes to Comey:

“There is intense public interest in the fact that our new president will attack anyone and everyone,” Himes said. “He will attackthe cast of ‘Hamilton.’ He will attack Chuck Schumer. He will attack our allies, Mexicoand Germany. He will attack the intelligence community, which you lead, associating you with McCarthyism and Nazism.

“But there’s one person and one country which is immune, which is inoculated from any form of presidential attack,” Himes continued. “No matter what the behavior, no matter if there’s a violation of the INF nuclear treaty, no matter if Vladimir Putin kills political opponents ― the new president defends, obfuscates, does not attack.”

I'm liking Himes more and more.

TimB4Last repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's some useful info here...

http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing-nato-members.asp

You have to click on the various countries to see to see their comparisons in terms of personnel, tanks, planes, ships, subs, etc. It's easier if you have them in different tabs so you can click back and forth between them.

It's actually quite interesting, reading it because it shows some of the lunacy of the American military industrial complex.

For instance, the US has 2 land borders, one with Canada and the other with Mexico. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest neither are planning to invade any time soon so, in a sense, America is effectively an island... at least in terms of likely aggressors by land.

But that doesn't stop them having almost 9,000 tanks :D

Germany, in comparison, has got 408 tanks :eek: We're about the same although, to be fair, we are DEFINITELY an Island, so... ;)

:giggle:

Cris 09 repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He's playing the part of "Dem with a Spine" that so many passed on...

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You have to say, what part of 'first past the post' is it these people don't understand?

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have much use for 3rd parties anymore, but that's not really it--I don't feel the same way about people who voted for Johnson this time around, even though I think that's an example of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I mean the degree to which Stein was/is pretty obviously an anti-democratic ally of Putinism. At the risk of sounding super-corny, I think anybody who runs for POTUS needs to have a certain level of patriotic support for our country and its institutions as they are. Stein--like Trump--fails that test.

Deadtigers, Moishe and Boloni86 repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany has taken in 1 million refugees within a year. In the case of the US that would be 4 million. In the case of the UK 800k. You think it doesnt cost a thing to clean up the mess you guys created in the ME? Laughable

Deadtigers, M, Cris 09 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sorry about that - thanks for cleaning up our mess.

charlie15, ChrisSSBB and Cris 09 repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't apologize to him. The entire reason NATO exists is to clean up Germany's last mess.

Bootsy Collins, ElJefe, roby and 10 others repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not following ... What does Klinsmann have to do with any of this?

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the really strange thing for those of us who are, shall we say, 'of a certain age', (i.e. old farts)... to see an American president acting more or less as a Russian stooge.

I know it's always said that 'it took Nixon to go to China' but, when he got there, he didn't actually go around extolling the virtues of the communist system.

Deadtigers and NORML repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Klansman, Nazis. Same diff.

Deadtigers, roby, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What? Huge difference: Say what you will about their ideology, the Nazis were at least motivated.

Deadtigers, luftmensch and song219 repped this.
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No need for many of us to start anywhere but here.

Those of us old enough that we grew up in such a country...

song219 repped this.
  23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. taosjohn