The Trump Presidency VII :: Simpletons, Wankpuffins, Bawbags & Erstwhile Lawyers

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Trump is worse than any previous President. Not on gay rights, but overall.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I want to address this comment further and separately from my last post.

HIV/AIDS was not and is not simply a gay issue. Even in the 'gay plague' scare in the early 80s it was not simply gays getting it. Yet gays were scapegoated more than anyone else for this. Just like "Mexicans" are being targeted for crime by the Republicans now. They are scapegoating immigrants just as they scapegoated gays. Gays, like immigrants, made for easy targets because of the widespread hostility toward them within the Republican party and the prejudice among the conservative Christian community.

Gays were not the problem with HIV/AIDS and the targeted response against gays made the problem much, much worse.

Remember when Republicans were arguing that gays should be banned from teaching in schools? South Carolina's Republican party had this as part of their official party platform in the 2000s (was it 2004?). Their moral center is in the same place it has been for ages.

3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, Trump is worse, but there hasn't been a regression in the Republican party in my opinion - they are as cruel, immoral and disgusting as they have always been. It's just they've changed their primary target, so people seem to care more now.

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The problem with 'Vote Dem or Die' is it's misleading (most non-D voters aren't going to die immediately after November). An effective media campaign can highlight the F in the R under Trump. (hell, decent animation can crumble an R into a F effectively).

InTheSun repped this.
  5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Funny, you have to figure any city/state/region that relies on tourism from abroad would jump all over this.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So will they look back and say we've supported some evil f#ckers all cuz of their abortion stances? Think I read 2 prominent old school ones were caught doing shady stuff recently & now they've had a come to Jaysis moment.

Sounders78 repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Expanded. Blacks and gays used to be the enemy. Now the enemy consists of all Americans except for straight white Christians (or Jews, in some context), as well as all Western democracies. That's a pretty substantial addition.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno. Maybe? At least that seems to be a possibility. For the time being, I will hold off with my usual SBC bashing. If this is a head fake, then no worries, I'll get right back to trashing them.

9. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm not saying blacks weren't targeted by them before, far from it. Perhaps because of my group identity, I'd say that gays took over as primary targets for a while (perhaps because all the systems were in place to keep blacks down), and now the target has changed again. But they've always been after those who weren't straight white Christians.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'll never accept that gays are/were the primary target for any substantial group in the US.

11. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All you have to do is see the rhetoric and tactics used in elections over the years, then glance back at evangelical books, activities, videos, etc. State constitutional amendments against marriage were all the rage in the 2000s. In the last election, bathroom laws were a thing. Targeted bigotry that had very big and cruel ramifications for LGBT people was used to get the Republican vote out.

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thats because the DNC is PC gone made identity politics whereas the GOP locks kids in cages

You need to watch some Jordan Peterson You Tube videos my dude

13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I saw him on Bill Maher one time. That was plenty enough for me!

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Then surely you know by now about the conspiracy of liberal marxist who want to steal the ball sacks of real americans

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Southern whites?

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Southern non-whites.

song219 and JohnR repped this.
  17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Evangelical Christians?

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes of course. I read your post wrong, so disregard my comment.

sitruc repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Eerily looks like an Al Qaeda ranting video.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Is Wisconsin so hardcore crazy as to elect a candidate like that not for a local seat, but for a statewide seat?

Yeah maybe. I guess we'll learn in November.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I was telling my wife, my anger at this is not from the part of me that was formally undocumented. It is the father in me. The just shear sadistic nature of it. I mean the ICE agent says "the guy just lost his shit when we had to take away his kids" of the asylum seeking dad that hung himself. If you want to send people back send them as a family! I have tears in my eyes when I think it about. It is just so cruel. Even when this admin is gone, those ICE officers sadistic enough to take a baby while it is being breastfeed by its mother, are gonna still be there and as shown in the Obama Admin, they will just disregard orders to be humane.

sitruc, Deep Wilcox and Sounders78 repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Of course, you won't read this on Fox, or on any other right-wing media outlet that pretends to be "news," but CNN avoids the "he said she said" trap today. Its headline on the child cages flatly states "He falsely blames Democrats."

Well, it's a start. Unfortunately, the truth will touch no Trump voter, which means that 40% of the adult population will remain faithfully wrong.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but you concede it was very disproportionally represented in the gay community, right? We have that as a common ground, right?

They don't advocate that anymore, which makes my point for me.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL