The Trump Presidency VI: Stormy Weather

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ismitje, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carry on.

Thanks to @chaski for the thread title.

Cris 09, soccernutter, Dyvel and 5 others repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Strange that you would write "Stormy Weather." I learned at Davos today that America is great again. The stock market is up, corporations got big tax cuts, and regulations have been cut. Companies are doing ********ing great. Donald Trump knows. He knows how to build great businesses.

The days of economic insecurity are long gone. Have you seen how the stock market is doing?

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 Yoshou, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    I agree. It is just much easier to trash the liberal media for making up stories about your favored candidate when there is nothing to compare it against. However, it is significantly harder to blame the liberal media when the problem is a failure to produce results when your party controls all aspects of the government.

Trump and the Republicans made a lot of promises during the election and their voters expected them to be able to carry it out.. However, with few exceptions, they've been completely inept and have failed to pass everything except the Tax "Reform".

American Brummie repped this.
  4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which leads me to conclude that the Republican party's ineptness swamps any foreign propaganda machine's ability to motivate voters.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also this thread title woke.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    First page!

[​IMG]

Moishe and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Yoshou, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Maybe? It also depends on which direction the bot farm is pointed, doesn't it? Now that Trump is in office, what serves the Russians' goal of disrupting democracy in this country more, propping up the Republicans, or pointing the bot farms against Trump, tearing him down, and lifting up the Democrats?

The Democratic base is just as susceptible to believing false stories as the Republican base was in 2016..

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Several posts of the last thread were spent boasting about financial prosperity, as though that's the litmus test for all (most?) of us...

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What's Melania doing in hubby's absence? Hoepfully getting her freak on in South Beach.

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and before I get attacked for not sufficiently supporting Hillary enough again...

https://politicalwire.com/2018/01/26/clinton-shielded-adviser-accused-harassment/

Loyalty to the Clintons meant more than sexual assault.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #ThemToo
    First page!

14. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

Keeps rainin' all the time

Deadtigers, Moishe and crazypete13 repped this.
  15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    That’s not remotely true. The GOP base didn’t go blind overnight. It took about 30 years or right wing radio and Fox, combined with the sort of twisted logic that is very difficult to simulate outside of deeply religious circles where skepticism takes a back seat to faith and moral crusades.

I’m not saying that the left is completely immune to these shenanigans. No group is. The closest thing on the left at the moment are the Steinbots and followers of whatever Gwyneth Paltrow is peddling since she shoved a jade egg up her babymaker. Let me know when the base on the left buys into conspiracy theories as ridiculous as Pizzagate, a mock new world order military takeover with TX Walmarts as operational bases. Or when the lefts version of a Beck or Hannity moves a million or so books propagating a theory as far out there as the one where Agenda 21 is a cover for labor camps and totalitarianism.

There is crazy and dim in both camps, but we would function better as a society if the crazy and dim was more evenly distributed.

KCbus, sitruc, soccernutter and 7 others repped this.
  16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh... The lefty twitterverse just recently spent a week guffawing over a fake quote from Fire & Fury about Trump getting pissed there wasn't a gorilla channel on the White House TV and his aides creating one for him.. So.. Yeah....

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree; and I'd add that one difference is that the Right IS 'the base' of the GOP to a degree which just isn't true for the Left and the Democrats.

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took the GOP thirty years. I'd like to make sure the Democrats never get there. A big part isn't buying into gorilla channel shit. Pee tape shit.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue the lefty twitterverse isn't anywhere near as close to the center of gravity of the Dems as the righty equivalent is to the same in the GOP.

Look at how much energy the lefty twitterverse expends attacking Dems. Hell, this week I've seen quite a bit of anti-Hillary vitriol from the left. The right has their attacks on "RINO"s, granted, but there's a qualitative and quantitative difference.

dapip repped this.
  20. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Spare us the #bothsides equivocation. Like I said, no group is immune. Your example is a fake news/satirical tweet that for any other POTUS would seem ridiculous, but when taken with all of the other crazy of late, seemed plausible to some for its 15 minutes. We’re talking about a guy who put Omarosa in the White House and who wound up implicated in a (unproven) piss tape incident in a dossier by a well respected intel guy. At this point, the sane approach to DT is to stop being surprised by anything he allegedly did/said. Maintain skepticism of claims, but nothing should be surprising anymore. FWIW: I have seen more conspiracy stuff on my FB feed regarding either pizzagate or the Vegas shooting from the 10 percent of people I know who are extremely conservative vs Gorilla channel comments from the 60% who are extremely liberal.

We had a guy show up at a pizza joint because he was certain he was breaking up a child sex ring. Hell, the Rep from the district where I grew up did his own backyard forensic study to confirm his belief that Vince Foster was assassinated. He used a watermelon. Birtherism wasn’t merely a Gorillas in the Mist weekend twitter hot take.

The distinction we need to make here is that all humans are subject to certain cognitive biases. But those biases are much easier to exploit when people have been conditioned over time. Elevated fear and anger levels help too, which is why in the age of Donald, the left is more susceptible than they have been. But no one has been ramping up fear and anger for over a generation like the right wing has.

luftmensch, KCbus, Deadtigers and 8 others repped this.
  21. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And don't forget the right has the evangelical and fundamentalist churches working in unison with it. The left does not have an equivalent that I'm aware of.

KCbus, soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  22. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The equivalent would be universities, where we turn the unsuspecting white suburban youth of America into Marxist homosexuals with an insatiable desire for social justice.

And sharia. Gay social justice communist sharia. But sharia nonetheless.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, turning the into Gay marxists is okay, but what we are really aiming for are transgendered vegan eco-Maoists.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lefty twitterverse is the future of the white Democratic base though. I don't have any insight into the other aspects of the Democratic base, so I can't speak to them. But the white base has been firing up the DINO attack and purity tests for years now and are well down the path that negotiating with Republicans is a sign of weakness. If you want to argue that it isn't as bad within the Democratic base right now, that's certainly a fair take, but what you're seeing now is where the Republicans were at back when "Contract with America" started.

25. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    damn - my video violates the terms of service