The Trump Presidency V: New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Which is a testimony to postwar policies put in place by the Western Allies as much as anything.

The US has a couple centuries head start in the hegemony business you've fallen into, and while Trump may be a disaster - he's still light years away from the shittyness of Kaiser Bill - let alone [redacted Godwin].

So yeah, at best, the jury is still out.

roby, russ, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the 10 year span from 91 to 01 weven taken in and saved 1.5 mil refugees from the Balkans. You?

Edit: E.g. Neven Subotic was one of them.

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What policies exactly are you refering to? I dont see any policy that would have led to the decision of giving up on fussil fuels for instance. Or not invading Iraq on a whim.

4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Did you do anything to stop the genocide in Europe whilst you were "building a peaceful Europe"?

roby, song219, Moishe and 3 others repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Actually he's not such a bad comp for Kaiser Bill, is he? Except it is tiny hands instead of a withered arm.

But he spends a lot of time knowing more than the pros and posturing about what a leader he is. And Wilhelm fired Bismark f'gosh sake-- Trump can't approach that for temerity. Yet.

But of course he is not related by blood to any of the others...

HerthaBerwyn and crazypete13 repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Is it possible these days to be a U.S. conservative and not a troll? I pick up the paper today and there, front and center, is an article telling "liberals" why they keep losing elections -- because, unlike Republicans, the Democrats practice "identity politics" and Americans don't like that. It is negative campaigning.

Really? How stupid do you think I am? My Lord, can anybody there make some sense?

NORML, Boloni86, Minnman and 2 others repped this.
  7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe German soldiers are still there securing the region. So yes.

[​IMG]

On a side note: You cant expect Germany to save the whole world. 70 years of peace speak for themselves though.

xtomx repped this.
  8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Basic Law - the entire framework/constitution.

I totally agree with the outcomes/decisions you describe too - BTW.

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The cognitive dissonance is astounding at times, yep.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The western allies had really few to do with it. Except for the understanding that Germany would be a democracy again with a capitalist market economy. But from a German pov that was just a return to the state of 1919. Weimar's constitition and the basic law are not far away from each other. The rest was up to the authors of the basic law and it was not written after what theyve been told but rather what lessons they had derived from Weimar. The first versions circulated already during the war and before. The liberal right for asylum e.g. is nowhere found else in the western world. It came from the situation that German speaking minorities from Eastern Europe where fleeing to the west. In order to integrate them this asylum right was established. So when you're thinking the basic law was something coming from the allies (it came from within) and that the basic law was a quantum leap(like Germany wasnt a democracy before) then you're wrong.

The opposite is true for Japan. Their constitution was written by the Americans.

11. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    To be fair - the Germans had an international treaty regarding military limits signed in 1990 - so realistically they had to use soft power then.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well you f#cked up Europe for the first half of the 20th century. Then thankfully were forced to looked inwards and built a thriving economy and world class football league.

You can't thank America and its allies enough, Dieter. Never forget!

charlie15 and russ repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldnt be proud about your generation either, my friend...

Hey, 2200ish and onwards people! When you read this, be sure CP is reaaaaaly sorry!

14. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'm not an expert on postwar German Law in the 1945-90 period, I do know that your constitution was based on Weimar, it was never put to a public vote, and like Japan you have had foreign troops stationed in the country when it happened.

soccernutter repped this.
  15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Can you guys get a grip. Bad enough we got sidetracked with the music asides at least that was fun

But this is just stupid.

luftmensch, Boloni86 and Ismitje repped this.
  16. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Trump is the greatest threat to the long peace we've seen.

Better?

NORML, rslfanboy, russ and 6 others repped this.
  17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lets say not Adenauer but SPDs Schumacher had been elected in 1949(Adenauer won by 1 vote in parliament) de-nazifcation had happened severer and faster, Western Germany had never joined NATO, had become a neutral greater Switzerland aka bloc-free and soon Allies troops would have had to leave the country. Still same constitution but a complete different outcome of history. Could Germany democracy failed again? Very unlikely. We probably would have got reunification earlier, would still be in the EU, would still have made these decisions mentioned above earlier. The only reason for troops being stationed was not to prevent the people from overthrowing this newly re-established democracy but to keep western Germany out of Kreml's and in the allies reach.

xtomx repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Oh, you'd have gotten reunification earlier all right...

song219, crazypete13, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  19. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    How is it that Republicans routinely start elective wars of aggression and wreck the economy? Democrats come in to fix it, then Republicans return to rake the benefits to the upper class and start the process again? Im sick of Dems having to clean up the wreckage left by Republicans.

flowergirl, NORML, Boloni86 and 10 others repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Gays gone. Guns going nowhere. God is what he/she is. Wars (Republican foreign policy) & tax cuts (Republican domestic policy) about all they got left.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Whiteness" isn't an identity. It's the objective outcome of civilization. "Identity" is the absence of whiteness.

I'm not joking. It's why the farther right they get, the greater the worry about purity.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did a really poor job of "fixing".
    It hasn't been Gen X that's fighting for the keeping of sports monikers, fought against NAGPRA, fought against Cobell.

That has been late cohort Boomers that believe the Civil Rights movement stole the economic prosperity they believed they were owed, and their millennial kids who are unemployable because they can't go 2 hours into a job without blaming the Jews, the Gayez, the Blacks and Immigrants for them not being in charge of the culture

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Oh no, our English-Mericans defintiely did commit genocide on the Indians. My people were living in abject poverty futiley fighting 'em off too. We're practically bruthas! :thumbsup:

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's similar to a local debate, "what's your favorite BBQ joint?" People hold such strong opinions and you'll never get them to change their mind. It's a fools errand.

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Do not disturb the disturbed:

Governor Eddie Baza Calvo shared a video of his call with President Trump on Facebook, in which the President assured Mr Calvo the US was behind the remote Pacific island “1000 per cent”.

Pyongyang said this week it is planning to launch four missiles into waters near the coast of Guam, which is a major US military hub with a population of 163,000 – all of whom are technically US citizens.

“I just wanted to pay my respects [and say] you are safe,” Mr Trump began the call.

“You’ve become extremely famous,” he told Mr Calvo of the global news coverage following North Korea’s threat. “All over the world they are talking about Guam, and they are talking about you.”

“I can tell you this — tourism, you’re going to go up like 10-fold with the expenditure of no money so I congratulate you,” he added.

Mr Trump praised the scenic beauty of the island, which is roughly 3379 kilometres southeast of Pyongyang.

“It just looks like a beautiful place,” Mr Trump said.

Mr Calvo responded by agreeing his home was “paradise” and had “99 per cent occupancy”.

“You just went to 110 I think,” Mr Trump joked.

The Guam leader thanked Mr Trump for his efforts and said he had “never felt more safe”.

“As an American citizen I have never felt more safe or so confident with you at the helm,” Mr Calvo said.

“With all the criticism that’s going on over there, from a guy that’s being targeted, we need a president like you.”

Mr Trump agreed that, “They should have had me in years ago … frankly you could have said that for the last three presidents.”

He then reassured Mr Calvo, who he describes as a “hell of a guy”, telling him the US military is “rock solid”.

“We are the best in the world by a factor of five,” he said.