The Trump Presidency Ocho :: It Can't Go On. A.K.A. We All Gotta Duck / When The Shit Hits the Fan

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is why a match being broadcast only in a language you don't understand isn't such a bad thing.

soccernutter, Deadtigers, Dyvel and 6 others repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A gridiron game's audio went out for a few minutes and it was awesome. Could hear the players and the crowd as it reacted to each play without the constant yapping

spejic, ToMhIlL and usscouse repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs broadcasters are total homers, but they often let the silence speak for itself. Generally, that's a good thing on TV, but not so much when you're trying to listen to the game on radio.

I was driving somewhere and had it on in the car, and the Revs "radio" broadcast is just the TV audio. So you get Paul Mariner mumbling things like, "Ooooh, loo' a tha' onna replay, thass definitely a foo-ell" and then Feldman mutters "Hmmm-hmm!" and you have no idea what happened or even which team gets the free kick...

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2015 World Series had a failure on the American audio feed for about an inning and they had to switch to the less chatty international broadcast. The absence of Joe Buck was glorious.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Cosell was a loyalist though. When he did boxing at the Olympics he'd go apeshit at the judges if a US boxer lost.

6. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The Fires broadcasters don't acknowledge when the keeper kicks it straight out of bounds . They will go straight into how great he is with his feet.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's one of the several things I really dislike about MLS. The sense sometimes that things are being explained. They need to cater to folks who already know the game.

Don't blame Cosell. Blame the nation that gave us Cosell. The US is to the world what Las Vegas is to the USA. We're never going to evolve because there are too many people her who associate "American" with "unceasingly brash and loud". I wouldn't have minded seeing/hearing Verne Lundquist cover MLS.

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Having worked for a basketball team and part of my job was being able to watch the game live, you find yourself wishing the commentators would be quiet for a moment when you watch at home. Still happens and it's been five years since!

This is why I don't mind watching sports at bars sometimes. Now if Bill Walton is commentating on something, I'm definitely going to listen because I need a laugh.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    People always look at me like I have 3 heads if I'm watching a game in Spanish, but I'd rather listen to a bunch of idiots blather on in a language I don't understand than get frustrated listening to Taylor Twellman blather on in a language he doesn't understand.

luftmensch, russ, sitruc and 7 others repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah... That's a disadvantage of being bilingual... But there are a few decent commentators combos in Spanish and I don't totally dislike the NBC EPL lineup... Just don't let an all-mexican duo or trio take over a non-Tri game please.. I'd rather drink hemlock..

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I never understood why people do that. The overwhelming majority of my male friends are avid sports fans and understand several sports well enough not to need the audio at all. But they tend to do the above when they drop in and see me watching a game that happens to have Spanish pbp. It doesn't matter what language the pbp is in if you know what you're watching.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why not Mexican broadcasters?

Also, it bugs me when guys who struggle with creative English are called upon to call a game in English for a broadcast here. Soccer isn't popular enough that there are a bunch of folks who don't know what's going on already. Just do it in Spanish, and at least it won't sound strained and simple.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Reminds me of this disgrace in '88:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In Chicago, that is definitely better than watching a Fire game broadcast by Dan Kelly.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To get this thread back on track a bit:

“I just won one of the greatest elections of all time in the history of this country. ... And now I have somebody writing a report that never got a vote?” Trump said. “It’s called the Mueller report. So explain that because my voters don’t get it. And I don’t get it.”

Trump went on to mischaracterize the effort, saying “it’s sort of interesting that a man out of the blue just writes a report.”
    https://www.apnews.com/093727be24b649f7adad971e0b48878d

Okay, we could spend time just figuring out how many things are wrong with these sentences. So, to be brief:
    1) No, it was not "one of the greatest elections of all time."
    2) Mueller "never got a vote," as he is not an elected official.
    3) His "voters don't get it," as they are willfully ignorant of his profound corruption.
    4) No, Robert Mueller "out of the blue just writes a report." He is a special counsel, just like all of the other special counsels in recent history.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Might as well parse the ramblings of the drunk at the end of the bar

Sounders78 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Except these ramblings are by the most powerful person in the world.

It is very good thing that he does not fully understand how much power he actually has.

spejic and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not saying I don't trust people who can't have a drink or 2. But I kinda don't. :D

0228_donald-trump-bar_1200x675-1152x648.jpg

Auriaprottu, fatbastard and xtomx repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    An all Mexican crew for a non-tri or LMX game will forget about the game and make it all about Mexican football. I’m not saying that other nationalities won’t go there to some extent, but it always amazes me how for the most part these guys are clueless about football in other parts of the world. I can take a tangential reference here and there, but this guys will have an only-FMF Tertulia watching Juve-Bayern....

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard Cosell, like fellow famous Jew Soupy Sales, was born in North Carolina.
    Fyp

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't know Sales was Jewish, tho I suppose I could have guessed. Not so famous anymore, either. More "used to be famous" like Monty Hall and Red Skelton.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I didn't know you spoke Italian. :thumbsup:

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Holy crap! I just read this.
    It is astonishing that otherwise seemingly rational people would think this is acceptable language.

From the article:

"According to The Washington Post, Ms. Lisanti, 51, told another white lawmaker that when he had been campaigning for a candidate in Prince George’s County in the fall, he had been door-knocking in a 'n*****r district.'"
    [I changed the language to post here, it is in the original article]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/us/politics/mary-ann-lisanti-racism.html

...and the apology:

"I deeply apologize to my constituents, my colleagues in the Maryland General Assembly, the Citizens of Maryland and all who are reading this for my word choice. I am sickened that word came out of my mouth. It is not in my vocabulary, and it does not represent my belief system, my life’s work or what’s in my heart."

Clearly, Ms. Lisanti, it IS in your vocabulary as you said it.

And, of course, "hope and prayer" to the rescue! [the cousin to "thoughts and prayers"]

"It is my hope and prayer that you, the citizens of District 34A, can forgive me for the pain that I have caused..."

https://mailchi.mp/house/statement-...VfRMOxxw7-K04XguTW5qhQRPu7297MWzLZopf8vwsLEeI

onefineesq, sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.