The Trump Presidency Ocho :: It Can't Go On. A.K.A. We All Gotta Duck / When The Shit Hits the Fan

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do I have to spell things out? The operation was a lot bigger than just the helicopters and transports at the Eagle One landing zone. Those stripes were painted on two aircraft carriers worth of aircraft so when they were bombing (with mostly unguided bombs) whatever part of Tehran they felt like they needed to bomb they would be more easily recognized as friendly aircraft.

It is an A-6E. You can tell by the large air scoop in front of the tail. This was part of the CAINS (an advanced navigational system) upgrade - every aircraft that had this was an A-6E, although not ever A-6E had it. But this particular aircraft used to be an A-6A, as you can tell by the perforations in the airbrakes.

usscouse repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No, you don't. I thought you suddenly jumped from one variant of C-130 to another without understanding them. I'm not arguing what roadkit is. Relax.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The other one is an F-4.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That was going to be my second guess, but I've only ever actually seen the Air Force/export version of them.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, if you can tell the difference between service versions, your aircraft recce is better than mine. The downward sloping horizontal stabilizers is the mark of all F-4s.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, and I'm sort of embarrassed I missed that.

7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your assumption that the U.S. rescuing hostages from the Iranians (BTW, the Iranians taking them hostage was a war crime, but you seemed to have missed that point) would have certainly resulted in the "deaths of thousands of innocent civilians" seems to have missed the point that the whole idea was to do the mission undetected. But whatever.

What would be your solution to the hostage crisis? Send the Iranians a very cross letter?

8. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother was in 323 when they painted their War Wing on the Coral Sea, He could be in that picture for all I know.

I'll ask again: what would've been your solution, Mr. President?

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I was pretty pleased recognizing it as some form of A-6. I wasn't commenting on why you put the photo up. My co-footie coach was 4th IC at Whidbey Island Base. We'd have a beer or 3 there after games. They have a few A-6s there. :)
    Sounds like you know your airyplanes.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Basically, what I'm saying is, the folded wings threw me. Like a dummy.

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The side-by-side cockpit is pretty distinctive, though.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I never studied the plane and/or it's variants. They were sort of cool in a retro way.
    My best view and memory of them was when hiking in the Cascades one weekend. I was perched on a rock looking down at a pretty lake. Then suddenly I hear and see 2 of them come out of a narrow valley and I'm level, eye to eye with the crew. I swear 1 guy waved.

Deadtigers and InTheSun repped this.
  13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Nice.

14. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The best part of Whidbey Island was walking around the old buildings and cannons at Fort Casey. We went there many times when I was a kid.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #3890 usscouse, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Hey, we loved Fort Casey. We used to camp down near the ferry dock often. The old Westfalia, Mrs Scouse, Eric the Terrible, our 155# Malmute and me.

Almost forgot. Fort Casey holds yuge yute soccer camps every summer. Most of my kids went to at least one.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Just me. I'd have called the SAS. :)

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There would be an armed assault on the embassy and an armed assault to take over an airport, as well as multiple aircraft flying various missions along different vectors and 6-8 very loud helicopters landing right in the center of Tehran. How could that possibly go undetected?

You do know we got the hostages back alive and no one had to be killed, right?

Hayaka repped this.
  18. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the helos were to land at 3-4 a.m. IIRC, in and out of the soccer stadium in a few minutes and to waiting transports at the airport. Maybe not completely undetected, but undetected by anyone who could do anything about it.

I'm hopeful you understand the timing of their release was because the Iranians knew what was coming if they didn't release them.

You do know a lot of the hostages are still alive? Heck, some might even post on BS from time to time.

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What kind of cookies? If it was oatmeal raisin tell those commies to ******** right off and we want the truth.

Sugar, butter or Chocolate Chip and I hope you took a kind soon to be Nato Allies at their word.

Ismitje repped this.
  20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Heny Kissinger is a Nobel Peace prize winner. I can't believe you guys have such a dim view of him.

<runs for the door>

chaski, Dr. Wankler, El Naranja and 2 others repped this.
  21. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    On a related note....is there anything worse than biting into an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie only to discover the evil doer that baked them filled them with rotten grapes?

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    image.jpg
    Individual felon.

ceezmad, Boloni86, El Naranja and 2 others repped this.
  23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts here on the Mueller related news yesterday and Individual1?

The D's have strenuously avoided the "I" theme and word during the campaign, but I can't see, specially if, or more likely when, other shoes drop, how they will be able to delay any Impeachments procedure in the House.

Dr. Wankler and Sounders78 repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It’s going to be a long battle. Hopefully there’s enough sense of decency in red America and they’ll put pressure on the senate to Impeach Individual 1.

Hahaha....

That’s a good one. I make myself laugh sometimes.

25. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The problem with 'I' is that the replacement is that Albino Opus-Dei guy from the Da Vinci Code. Christer Sharia is Sharia none the less. We shouldnt 'I' unless Pence goes along for the ride. Fruit of a poison tree or co-conspiritor or such.

My idea would be to elect Obama Speaker of the House (one need not be a member) Then, he can serve out the remainder of Trumps term. The 24th Amendment doesnt prevent him serving a remainder. It only prevents him being elected to a third term. Of course, the Incel-Axis would go full terrorist if that happened.

QuakeAttack, Boloni86, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.