"The torture is over for another week." OTT 38 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bayern/barca/real/united will go through a 2-5 year window where they are searching for the right formula and will pick up a trophy occasionally, but I think there is opportunity for the 'other' teams to find themselves competitive, athletically speaking (commercially these three clubs will remain the biggest).
    They are all star player dependent (or in the case of the scum, star manager) as the clubs simply have a plan of 'buy the best' and their stars have left or are aging and there will be a gap of personality until the right player/manager comes along and there is no telling when that will be.
    It's unusual for them to all be facing problems at the same time, but it gives us and Juve and Atletico and citeh an opportunity to get our hands on some trophies and close the gap commercially.

dcc134 repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not sure we can really rely on them .... :)

3. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It's all cyclical. Despite their dominance over the past decade, those 3 teams were never consistently at the top before that.

It will be interesting to see if the "Barca or RM is my dream" BS from players continues. Barca's hands are going to be tied financially for awhile. RM will have money to spend but if they are after Neymar or Hazard, are either of them steely enough to lead that team. Bayern have the issue of the BL not really being a destination league, so they have to recruit within the league and everyone else is looking to Germany for players as well.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He couldn't drop bigger hints if he tried ....

"Real Madrid are the best club in the world. I don't want to lie today. It is my dream since I was a kid. I was dreaming about this club. We will see. I don't want to talk about this every day, I don't have time. But we will talk about my future soon."

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's not a "come and get me" I don't know what is.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really do not understand why he would take that job.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    image.jpg

Wingtips1 and imasyko repped this.
  9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean he quit Madrid, a club for which he has been the ambassador for years, for which he delivered unprecedented success (in terms of the modern era), and he left that in order to not tarnish that legacy with an aging squad, or found it too high-pressure to follow up that success. so, go to the mess that is United? Is that less pressure, or a somehow easier job in a less-difficult league than continuing at Madrid?

Maybe I'm wrong but he seems to be a guy that has some care for principles on some level. If it were a struggling Juve I might get it... but with no ties to England, no sentimentality for United, it just doesn't make much sense to me.

But yeah, maybe if they offer him the best manager wages in the world and full control of transfers, maybe it's too much to pass on. I'd get that, on some level.

Wingtips1 and imasyko repped this.
  10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There is a challenge there that may be part of the draw. Manure name and the EPL.
    But damn the money is obscene! On one level I feel sorry for Maurinho. Then I hear how much money he will come away with. Even if he gets sacked.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Then back to the likes of Hazard. It's always hard to lose players to Madrid or Barca. We've lost a few good ones in recent years. Macca, and Owen for the home grown ones Suarez and Coutinho recently.
    But the draw to play there to see that on your CV is tremendous. Club loyalty is one thing especially when that club and manager helps you gain that fame. But I find it hard to criticize.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mascherano and Arbeloa were two important losses to Barca and Madrid.....

Oh and some fella named Alonso too.

The worst was losing those 3 (Alonso, Arbs, Masch) in the space of 2 seasons.

jeffcoop repped this.
  13. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    #313 bayred, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Sarri is a strong pull for them. Sort of their version of Klopp. But Eden's making all the Madridista noises.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors that Jardim is going to be out at Monaco and Henry is in.

He'd be an interesting manager for these struggling big teams. His availability may speed up some decisions to push a manager out the door.

16. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Monaco's problem isn't the manager, it is their squad being gutted and not adequately replaced. But it would be the right situation for Henry to enter into rather than going to a 'bigger' club.
    A completely unproven 41 year old with absolutely ZERO on his resume other than serving as an assistant under tactical genius Roberto Martinez = oh please god, if the scum stupidly (haha) decide to fire mourinho please appoint henry for he is surely not the answer.

New rumor I saw was that the scum were looking at Antonio Conte which actually makes sense and I hope doesn't happen.

usscouse repped this.
  18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'd love to see "Handball Henry" there.
    He could teach Finger Wagging 101 while looking entitled

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this about Henry, but I should have been more clear. Jardim would be an interesting manager for any of those big clubs.

RE: Conte, he certainly has the winning pedigree, but not sure he has the style Utd fans are after. Would be more of the same IMO.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what I was thinking Same defense of style but of course he probably would at least utilize the talent he has. That said he’s pretty good at falling out with players to.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    maybe not. him going there could be great - for everyone else. the players at Chelsea basically said "thank god he's gone" in public - they couldn't stand him and several said they were planning to leave if he didn't.

22. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yet they all have a PL winners medal thanks to him.
    I wouldn't trust the opinion of a single one of their players given their long history with downing tools for managers as soon as anybody tried to threaten the terry/lampard boys.

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hear you, but what makes you think the current Manure dressing room is any different from Chelsea's?

25. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there is no doubt Conte is one of the best managers around. The issue for him at Utd is they went from a shit system under Moyes, to a super boring system under LVG to cautious and defensive system under Jose. Getting defensively minded Italian manager seems to be more of the same.