The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    JJ officially retired today:

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Hope he gets a job with the USNT - he should be the 'attitude' coach.

RevsLiverpool and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you and best of luck in your next chapter in life, Jermaine!

I first saw Jermaine Jones play live in the spring of 2006 when he thoroughly bossed the midfield for Eintracht Frankfurt vs. Wolfsburg. He set up a goal with an amazing 40-yard through-ball from across the pitch, had a couple of shots from distance, and broke up numerous Wolfsburg attacks before they even could start. And unlike Tony Tchani, I knew who he was and at the time, I was hoping we might see him in a USA kit at some point. It did not even occur to me that he’d play in MLS, and never in my wildest dreams that he’d ever wear the jersey of my hometown Revolution. I also noticed on my way to the game, there were a TON of people (and lots of kids, interestingly enough) wearing the #13 Jones jersey.

We all remember the magic of the second half of the 2014 season and yet another fantastic MLS Cup run, only to fall agonizingly short once again. He brought the heart that was sorely lacking to an “average” team and almost singlehandedly made them significantly better.

Thanks for being the cog in the last great moment in Revs history.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pwykes and dncm repped this.
  5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Remember the bonus payout dispute? I loved it when Ralston ran on stage and grabbed trophy out of Garber's hand (who looked like he had just eaten a turd sandwich). The Ralston ran off stage and Garber just stood there. Classic.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, the "where are they now" thread reference to Chase H. made me think of the SuperLiga in 2008. I remember the game against Atalante being very physical and Atalante showing the Revs little respect. A few cards in stoppage time or after the game had ended. Anyway, that tournament was a peak before the valleys to follow: Twellman injury and Joe Public fiasco.

7. Tywin Lannister

Tywin Lannister New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    a517dogg repped this.
  8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I like it. Guns (even old style muskets) being a prominent part of a logo might be a no go though, especially in massachusetts. I think going with paul revere or the lantern in the bell tower is a bit more welcoming imagery without having to worry about dabbling in taboo (and dumping tea off a boat is a bit too complex for a logo)

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad. And the 6 stars make sense as well. I like the tattered edges at the bottom. And as a standalone badge, it works on any kind of background, unlike the current flag design.

10. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I like it (and I haven't really liked any re-brand attempts posted to date). I don't think muskets would be a turnoff for anti-gun people - they're muskets, not ARs, and we have people shooting off muskets during the game after goals. And we keep the flag!

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think in this day and age, a logo with such prominent firearms is unlikely to fly, whether there's historical background for it or not.

I just think it's a political quagmire that no team with any kind of relevant PR team is going to want to risk falling into.

12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    upload_2018-9-20_9-43-48.png

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, a 100+ year old team whose informal name has always been the "Gunners" it's a bit different. Of course, the Baltimore Bullets became the Capital Bullets and then the Washington Bullets before changing their name to the Washington Wizards.

But the Revs are too tone-deaf to be cognizant of anything that reeks of bad PR, so that won't be the reason for rejecting a new logo like that. The real reason is that it takes thought, effort and money to make a change like this, and well, why bother when good enough is good enough?

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution want to field home-grown talent
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...rown-talent/Lv4EZItT4b2q2dPFiKhILM/story.html

The headline is pretty misleading, as it doesn't really say anything about guys coming up through the academy system. It's more about the playing surface, and how the fact that the Revs have turf has no impact whatsoever on the presentation of the game, nor whether opponents or would-be Revs have an issue playing on it.

Just kidding

15. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is tongue in cheek, but it made me curious. Armed with google:

In May 2017, new "most advanced" Field turf was installed at Gillette:

https://www.sporttechie.com/gillette-stadium-upgrades-to-technologically-advanced-fieldturf-surface/

In September 2017, the surface was replaced again...

Also of note, Brady would like to return to a grass field:
    https://nesn.com/2016/11/tom-brady-...iots-ditch-turf-switch-back-to-natural-grass/

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    When Belichick retires, I think there's a good chance it will happen.

And, if the Pats eventually return to earth and don't play through January every year, a grass field would have a much better chance to survive. Of course, I'm not wishing for that solution.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty amusing.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact:
    Josef Martinez has 30 goals this season. The entire Colorado Rapids team has 32.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! That reminds me of my sophomore year in high school, when the leading scorer on the soccer team had 22 goals for the year. The football team scored 14 points the whole season.

a517dogg and tsb11 repped this.
  23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Not a bad listen. Brian covers the whole map, a full 10 minute update.

Zo and Bertrand actually learned a few things, and seemed a little bit "legitimately" engaged.

Zo seemed genuinely intrigued by the advantage in securing talent that an Academy can provide - his heavy NFL context has been heavily "draft"-centric, so when Bilello explained to them that the Academy provides a conduit to secure talent into the team's pipeline pre-draft/ external to the draft, he sounded pretty surprised.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to put that into context with other sports. If the Pats had the rights to all college FB players from New England, they would be at a big disadvantage to teams like the Falcons and Saints. BC is the biggest program in our area, but that's about it. But at least the Bruins would do reasonably well, along with the Red Wings and Wild. But the Canadian teams would dominate with an academy system. Good luck to half the teams in the league who play in regions where the only ice they know about is what you put in a drink.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States