The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I took it as sarcasm. No?

2. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I know the medical staff is all over the Farrell eye injury, and I am not a doctor in any way - but I've been uneasy about someone with a detached retina problem getting back into a pro sport that involves some regular head impacts - heading the ball, clash of heads, etc. Head trauma is a somewhat common cause of retina issues, especially for individuals with a prior retinal injury.

Of course, my uneasiness has nothing to do with knowing the specifics of Andrew's case; it's more me thinking about how much I value my own eyesight...and being glad I don't have to make the decision he is making at this time.

I really really hope Andrew has no subsequent eye health or vision issues. Best of luck to him as he returns to the field.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I sustained some vision damage as a result of banging heads with a teammate clearing a corner kick (I headed the ball, he headed me). Although it was something that probably wouldn't have affected a younger player, it is eye-opening (no pun ...) how easily it can happen.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to clear a corner one time flicking it over the end line. Damn goal post came out of no where during my follow thru with on my header. Next think I know I am looking up at my coach, the keeper, the trainer and a few other players. Missed the rest of the game and the next game with concussion like symptoms.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got cracked in the head going up for a header with another player. One of my teammates described it as something out of the three stooges, where we bumped heads, staggered around for a few seconds and both plopped to the ground. I got 7 stitches and what I later realized was a concussion. I would get the kind of headaches you get when you eat ice cream too fast, but instead of 20 seconds, mine would last for 8 hours. Fortunately I'm much better now and I haven't had those symptoms in years :thumbsup:

6. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cracked heads in a college game and lost some peripheral vision on my left side. I was dumb and stupid and didn't tell the trainer. My thought process was that I was playing on the wing and didn't need to see that side anyway. Cleared up by the end of the game.

rkupp repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was coaching a HS game a few years ago and two players sent of for a header, my guy collided with the other kid. Kid for the other team ended up with a fractured skull and it took almost 100 stitches to repair his head. I spoke to the kids father and was told the doctor told him because his sons head was so large, the skull bone structure was very thin. Kid gave up sports after that

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I sustained a ridiculously stupid, self-inflicted knee injury when, for a high-school game, I was so revved up for the kickoff, that I charged the kid in the center circle, only to realize that I was too late and tried to avoid steamrolling him by doing something akin to a euro-step at full sprint. Two seconds into the game I was carried off and in a cast for weeks afterwards.

a517dogg repped this.
  9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure I like the “Horrible Accidents That Don’t Require Their Own Thread” Thread. It’s painful reading.

10. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Odd how the initial concern over Andrew's eye left-turned into this widespread carnage-sharing. Odd, but funny.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Let's assume that concussions are not at all good for you. I would argue that this is beyond any debate. Question: What does the risk of concussion (per game, per season, whatever) have to be to make headgear for field players recommended prior to head injuries?

Full disclosure: I never wore headgear, and didn't ask my kids to wear headgear. It is only now, as I see concussion patients, that I raise this with the benefit of hindsight. You don't have to tell me how much resistance there would be to a push for all players to wear head protection. This would have start at the professional level, as the NHL did after the Teddy Green affair.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an ad for A&T today that said "just ok is not ok". It's a succinct way to describe how I feel about the revs.

So damn tired of annual mediocrity.

frankieg73 and TOAzer repped this.
  13. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do we get those ads played on the big screen at Gillette?

14. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Soooo.... What's the record for fewest points in an MLS season? Losing at home to a first year expansion team that was without players due to national call-ups has me thinking that the Revs will compete for the worst season in MLS history.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Jon, It seems to me, that in just about every sport, as they've introduced more 'gear' to protect against injury, the games only get more violent and the injuries more severe. I might be the only one, but I think football players were better off in the leather helmet era.

My concerns specifically with headgear are:

1) over time, it would embolden players to lead with their heads (and take risks) more, not less

2) my feeling is that concussions are caused by the force, or energy transmitted, rather than the impact itself, headgear would be at best only partially protective, while giving a false sense of security.

If football helmets, which are much more substantial than headgear, don't prevent concussions, is there really evidence that headgear would significantly reduce head injuries (given point #1 above)?

Jon Martin repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When there's literally no pressure from the top because they don't care ... it just doesn't matter.

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Its teams like ours that are why the league needs Pro/Rel.

Let 2 time USL champion Louisville get a crack at the big time, they clearly care enough to at least try.

18. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought AT&T's entire business model was to be just OK.

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Bob, I appreciate the thoughtful answers. The point is, in essence, would the intervention have the desired effect? There is a way to answer the question, and unfortunately, we will never see it. That is, to have a controlled study in which half the league wore headgear, and the other half didn't and the incidence of concussion was followed prospectively for - say - 3 years.

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Brad Feldman, do you read BS? If so, hear this.

Don't say "intentionality", say "intent". Don't say "pressurize", say "pressure". Intentionality and pressurize are the gray hamburger meat of the English language.

If you want to say that player X beat player Y, you can say that "player X had the beating of him", but be aware that it is a poser-ish British cliché. Remember "climbing the ladder"? Why don't broadcasters use that any more? We get plenty of Britishisms from Mr. Mariner.

With that, I will finalizationize my post.

a517dogg, A Casual Fan, rkupp and 3 others repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he didn't say "orienTATed."

rkupp and Jon Martin repped this.
  22. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I don't quite understand the scarf idea. Maybe it's just me.

23. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just you. Does anyone think they're going to give them out at a Patriots game in the fall? I doubt it.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because it's dumb.

pwykes repped this.
  25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which is dumber, this or the ad campaign I recently saw on buses, "This is Soccah" and the one with Matt Turner calling him a "Keepah?"

If you really have to tell people what sport your team plays after 23 seasons it just shows how irrelevant you are in the public eye.

Whoever thought of this eye-dear must have been re-TAAAAAAAH-did!

It was probably some ad agency in Texas or sump'n.