The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    July 5 game does not appear to have a live local broadcast based on what the Comcast/Xfinity info on my cable service shows. CSN looks to be on a multihour delay, I think it said 10pm. Looks to be live only on subscription (DirectKick?).

Anyone able to confirm this?

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of things...

One, the July 22nd game (LA) will actually be on NBC Boston. That's actually pretty good news.

Secondly, I've talked a bit about Boston City here, and they sure as hell seem to be doing things the right way. They're starting up a new club/Academy down in Brazil.

RevsLiverpool and a517dogg repped this.
  3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Bump. Anyone else have this same understanding?

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cough cough Kodi cough cough

rkane1226 repped this.
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm repped this.
  6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is true about flying because I saw both at Logan boarding the same flight as my wife and I took to Portland.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they meant they don't take the same flight as the players.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wow. Agreed. At least they admit what we always have known.

There was a reason why Derek Ray and Adrian Healy have moved on to bigger and better things after broadcasting Revs games. And that was that they were not slanted and they always had their integrity in check.

There is a way to be a homer and then there is a way to distort the truth or not acknowledge things.

They acknowledge their broadcasts are somewhat slanted towards the Revs’ market. After all, each show appears on Comcast SportsNet New England in partnership with Kraft Sports Productions, the broadcast arm of the Kraft family, which owns the Revs.

Added Mariner: “It’s slightly tilted towards the Revs, but I think Brad and I have to have our integrity intact.

No Paul I do not think you can say that.

I do notice that when the revolution make a bad pass, Brad says an errant pass. But if the opponent makes a bad pass Brad says "and the revolution intercept!"

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember all those times when people defended the Krafts because the team wasn't making money. Straight from the horses' mouth in the WSJ ...

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they are profitable. No rent at the stadium, no reason to move elsewhere, mid-tier payroll, save money with a small roster, low overhead with a really small front office staff, no fulltime scouts (because all tehy wold do would be bring in players that you'd have to pay, thus increading costs even more)

pwykes repped this.
  13. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    885146385871458306 is not a valid tweet id

885146844816441344 is not a valid tweet id

885147077738627081 is not a valid tweet id

patfan1 and a517dogg repped this.
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs just moved down another notch on the Kraft priority list...

Robert Kraft is bringing another team to Boston
    Kraft reportedly paying $20M in franchise fees for Overwatch League team
    Updated: 8:10 AM EDT Jul 13, 2017
    WCVB.com

I think that is 4 times what he paid for the Revs franchise...

15. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What better business model is there than to own monopolies!

16. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Kraft secures a franchise in the eSports Overwatch League, while the New England Revolution remain his OVERLOOKED franchise.

What's next, Bob? Thinking of investing in the Professional American Flag Football League? Maybe a pro wiffle-ball circuit is a growth opportunity? Oh, I know! You can get in on the ground floor pro cornhole!!!

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering we were on the same flight as the players, Mariner and Feldman, I still find it strange.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even get what the hell this Overwathc thing is (Get offa my lawn you young whippersnappers!)

Surely Bob could have a higher ROI if he just sunk the $20 mill into the Revs and run it llike a competent franchise! I hope this is for the Krafts what the Michael Jackson Victroy tour was for the previous owners of the Patriots. Unfortunately, their pockets are deep enough that losing $20 mill would only mean less spending for the Revs and maybe passing on that 3rd string linebacker.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As MLS academies improve, the SuperDraft is becoming more and more irrelevant.

The 22 players selected in the first round this year have so far averaged 174 minutes, 4 games played, and less the 2 starts.

Take away Julian Gressel (#8 overall) in ATL (1196 min, 19 GP, 15 GS) and those numbers plummet to 119, 3, 1.

After Gressel, the first round pick with the most minutes is Jakob Nerwinski in VAN with 539 in 6 games (all starts).

Eleven of the 22 have yet to start a game, including 3 of the first 4 picks.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not sure if you're making the best argument. There are still young, talented players coming through the draft; however, the quality of the league overall has improved. Guys like Miles Robinson, Jeremy Ebobisse, Jackson Yueill, etc. have all shown pretty well for US YNT fairly recently, but as 20 year old kids with limited professional experience they're struggling to get into their respective MLS sides. I think it would be a fairer assessment to say that you shouldn't expect your top MLS draft picks to make an immediate impact like they may have in years past.

VTSoccerFan and ToMhIlL repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. This isn't the NBA or NFL, where a first round draft pick or a top-10 draftee should be an immediate impact player or at least a starter. In baseball, top draft picks (often high school kids) spend several years in the minors, and in the NHL, it is not unusual for teams to send their top picks back to their junior team or the AHL for more seasoning.

And this is precisely why the Revs are falling further and further behind the curve. Their top draft picks don't develop if they aren't good enough to seriously compete for first team minutes. How much better would Femi be if he couild have played a full season for the USL Providence Revs? Maybe McCrary would still be with the team, not to mention other wasted picks from the last several years.

If you're not in the top 15 or so players, you might as well ask for your release and go play for a USL/NASL team for a year, and then give MLS another shot.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just like the ASG in Chicago 11 years ago that I attended. MLS XI vs Chelsea when DeRo scored the only goal of the match. The revs actually had a game that weekend so they were shut out (along with Chivas and probably a couple other teams). The difference of course is we are talking about Dempsey, Twellman, Shalrie, Ralston etc. Sigh, it is what it is.