The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, ok. I misinterpreted your words and I had it backwards. I thought you were saying, yeah they spend more, so shadd-up about it and live with it! :)

2. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    msilverstein47 and a517dogg repped this.
  3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nsa and A Casual Fan repped this.
  5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    swedust and TOAzer repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, print media was still a thing back then, and the Globe, Herald, Providence Journal, NB Standart-Times and a other papers gave pretty good coverage. The team also did a fair amount of (non-free) marketing and was much more in the public eye. 22 years later, the Revs are still not mentioned with the other 4 major sports teams.

7. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, of course, we had the unforgettable Pictures of Chairman Mao. I miss the regular trek to Harvard Square News to pick it up and get my dose of inside Revs news!

ToMhIlL and pwykes repped this.
  8. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will a game thread be created before the Sounders match? Will one be created at all, ever?

TOAzer and A Casual Fan repped this.
  9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jon Martin, Revs in 2010 and a517dogg repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the game day chatter moved to another form of social media? Or, does the lack of chatter here reflect the general disinterest accurately?

13. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Can't speak for others but in my case I find it hard to get very enthusiastic about this team when the owner obviously doesn't give a damn about them.

metoo, a517dogg and patfan1 repped this.
  14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    A little of both, but mostly an overall decline in interest, IMHO.

The Twitter game day noise is mosty "Yay it is game day", the discussion does not get much deeper than that. The next best competitor seems to be Reddit, and even over there there the volume of game day analysis/discussion pales in comparison to the historical high water mark here on BigSoccer.

At least that is how I see it, but I am certain there are other posters who will tell me I am wrong in some way.

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mood among Rev supporters is one of depression and sadness--for a bunch of reasons---lots we hold in common. Not much will change this for the better until either that start winning which it seems unlikely they have the capacity to accomplish or there is some changes in team management. I doubt there are many who don't think it's time for a coaching change. It's hard to know what the current roster is capable of when the coaching has been so sub par. If I'm management I need to recognize the need for a caching change before the season totally depends into the crapper. For with it's worth--antidepresset pills or booze will not help ;) --- we need real concrete changes of at least one key position and ,maybe at ,multiple levels in the team management structure. OK Johnny and Mr Club President--GOYA

16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booze may not help. but boozey gals sure do......:whistling:

17. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Related to the Revs podcast options question asked previously, Six States One Podcast is a very good podcast that does a great job breaking down and previewing games. It is definitely worth listening to.
    On a related note, I continued listening to the WEEI Soccercast for the last few months, but their Revs content is still inadequate. They often record during games and treat MLS and the Revs as a second rate afterthought. They know much less about MLS and the Revs than they think they actually do. They are more or less Euro-snobs turning their nose up at MLS. At this point I think I will retire the Soccercast to the podcast trash heap with the FarPost Podcast. I gave them an honest review/critique on iTunes, but it turns out they are only looking for 5 star reviews that stroke their egos; they essentially reviewed my review and reacted very juvenile about it on their last show. But that's ok, I can get better soccer content elsewhere.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Revs have fewer points than BOTH expansion sides. Good job, guys.

RevFan repped this.
  20. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Really? Ouch.

21. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of random thoughts.

Minnesota gave up 11 goals their first 2 games; 14 in their last 8 games. Gee, you think coaching matters? I watched yesterday's game, they looked pretty good and were entertaining.

Colorado lost JJ, they suck. Sound familiar?

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only speak for myself, but Crew week has always been one of my favorite times to pull out every Toothless Inbred Cow Shagging joke I can think of, and wait for the Crew fans who know how to use opposable thumbs to get all upset with lines like "You can't spell 'tool' without ToMhIlL'"

And then there was the other guy who was all high-and-mighty, boasting that he, in fact, had all his teeth. In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is kind, so all I could say back to him was "Congratulations, your royal highness."

But no, the Revs have made me so apathetic I didn't even bother posting classics like this:
    Crew fan 1: "Ah dunn fided mah wahf in bayid wif anuvver may-in!"
    Crew fan 2: "Yew bitter?"
    Crew fan 1: "Yup, an a bit him too!"

TOAzer repped this.
  23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    LA got JJ, they suck. He's past it at this point.

25. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Speaking for myself, I honestly just got so disgusted with this team as the season wore on last year, I decided I'm just going to spend my time on other things, and pay as much attention to the team as the owners seems to. What's the point of coming on here, bitching about the same stuff again and again and again if, based on the team's history, it seems reasonable to conclude that things are literally never going to change? I occasionally look on here, just to see if there's any news, but there's just nothing much to get excited about. Even when the team gets better players, such as some better central defenders, the overall performance of the defense doesn't seem to change a whit.

I still watch the games when I can, but it's no longer appointment viewing for me. When the ownership decides to treat the organization like it's a professional sports team, where the main goal seems to be about winning games, then I'll get more interested again. And for me, first and foremost on the list of things a caring ownership would do is getting a competent coach, one who can seem to get the players somewhat close to reaching something resembling a decent portion of their potential. There have been a couple of times when I thought 'hmmm, maybe the team has turned the corner, maybe the new players are beginning to gel, maybe they'll be decent this year', but not wanting to come to any conclusions based on a single result, I give it a week or 2, and as we've seen since 1996, every moment of hope is followed up by a reminder of dreary reality.

In light of this little rant of mine, I decided to change my sig, and considered something like "The Revs - perfecting the art of blowing leads, since 1996", but decided instead to reference how the Krafts have let a potentially great market for the sport just whither away, while more and more other teams show how successful teams can be in this league, with the right investment and the right people.

Jon Martin, pwykes, Dr. Sneezy and 7 others repped this.