The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so this one is kinda funny...

My daughter started 5th grade this week. One of her terachers likes to do this "call-back" thing with the kids. For example, last year, she would say "Scooby doobie do" and the kids would all call back "Where are you?"

They thought that was too young for them, so she asked for suggestions for something new. I half-jokingly told my daughter that they should do one of the old Rev Army cheers:

"Oooogie, oooglie, ooogie!"
    "Oi, oi, oi!"

Guess what the kids did today in school...:ROFLMAO:

2. kzs10

kzs10 New Member

Newcastle United
    Hungary
    Aug 11, 2017

Németh must bring quality to the team.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://apnews.com/8d12d0d2d310435caeb6ed6153dab490

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Vermont’s capital city is saying merci to a French city it’s named after for plans to send some misspelled soccer jerseys its way.

The city manager in Montpelier (mahnt-PEEL’-yuhr), Vermont, says Montpellier (mahn-peel’-YAY’), France, ordered jerseys for its professional soccer team and fans, but they came in misspelled, with just one L instead of two.

City Manager Bill Fraser said Thursday that the city in southern France has decided to send them to Montpelier, Vermont, which is spelled with one L, not two. Montpelier doesn’t know how many jerseys it will get.

ToMhIlL and a517dogg repped this.
  4. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article on the issues with Video review by Ridge Mahoney a few months ago. Does anyone know what the VAR is watching the game on? It appears that the head referee is as involved as the VAR on the review and he's watching a freaking IPad (or Surface), which is 1/16 the size of an average TV today. Is there standard monitor equipment that's used or is it up to each team to provide something? I know that I've heard that they are supposed to be able to avail themselves of all the feeds of the game. My only real issue with review so far is that I think they f'd up the Delemea handling offense (then again it could be the mushy FIFA regulations at fault for that), but this strikes me as a really half-a$$ed way to implement it.

5. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Krafts may think they have a Versailles-Sun King- Heaps of Gold thing going..... but it's late term Louis XVI, baby Jonathan, and your Conde d'Burns is lying to you when he says that the baying outside your Bastille is just the AYSO Crowds at the Revs Family Fun Fair enjoying the shindig.

ToMhIlL and abecedarian repped this.
  7. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now, #NERevs is trending on Twitter.

8. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. You can't very well embarass someone who has no shame.

a517dogg repped this.
  10. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remarkable for a guy who the Revs didn't want to pay and dumped him to Colorado for a draft pick after his "moment of clarity."

a517dogg repped this.
  12. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t catch either game. How did the new turf appear to play for the revs?

14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    bouncy

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors that the NFL called the new, new turf borderline acceptable.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing they replaced the old turf since it was already 4 months old! When I saw the game, I was wondering if it was new turf at all. It was wierd how the FB lines looked. It looked like they were faded, left over from a previous Pats game, which would be normal, but I had to wonder why they did it like that. Previous times they had done the lines completely, bright, with all the logos, stripes, etc. It was good for soccer that they didn't, but if they were going to do them lightly, why did they need to do the 4-foot wide sideline?

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't want to start a new thread...

Jermaine Jones:
    Year 1 (<1/2 season) - pure magic, lifting everyone's play, instrumental in getting to MLS cup
    Year 2 - USMNT absences, injuries, still around enough and influential enough to get to the playoffs (and a stupid red)

Xavier Kouassi
    Year 1 - absent due to injury
    Year 2 - slow start returning from injury, more injury, tendency to get reds, not able to lift everyone's play
    Note that this last red was not his fault

How can Biello and Kraft fail to see how badly Burns, perhaps with Heaps help, is at his job?

18. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see the Revs well-represented (Kelyn and Kei), in the new Take the Lead anti-racism PSA that will be shown at all Boston sports venues and on TV (just saw it on the Sox game).

ToMhIlL and BERich repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I noticed that when they were talking about this onthe radio, they mentioned that the Sox would be joined by "the other 4 major league sports teams" (which is usually just a dog-whistle for the Revs), but then they actually mentioned them by name. Considering soccer is, by far, the most diverse sport on the planet. the Revs had better be part of this.

20. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Recently bought a copy of Football Manager 2017 for the PC. Loved the game for years, finally upgraded from the 2012 version. For $10, why not?

Anyway...immediately started as manager of the Revs and quickly realized that actually working within the MLS cap and roster rules is so confusing and frustrating - and I've been following the league for 20 years, so imagine someone new to the experience. After 3 seasons I had to move on to a different league; I resigned.

In real life, I have no idea why any manager would choose to come to MLS over any other league in the world considering all of MLS' restrictions, never mind the tight wallets in Foxborough. Other clubs in other leagues may have limited resources, but you can do almost anything you want with the money available. So how did Atlanta land Martino?

21. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We can't judge Burns based on his inability to replace Jones. Year 1 Jones is a rare player that any MLS club would struggle to replace. And season 2 Jones is someone I didn't want around any more. Nobody expected Kouassi to be Jones' equal, and who knows if Kouassi's injury (not Burns' fault) eroded his ability before he even got here. There are PLENTY of examples of ineptitude by the club, this is not one of them.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Robespierre when we need him?

TOAzer repped this.
  23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well paid opportunity working for a committed owner leading an exciting new project in an exciting young and growing league. What's not to like?

For the revs it's more like a poorly paid opportunity working for absentee owners leading a short staffed team of "square pegs" in an otherwise exciting young and growing "round hole" league.

24. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    What an exciting season, with the short ups and long downs, the late blur of reds-a-wavin', and the never ending suspense of possibly making the playoffs. Nothing else come close to this long term extended postponement of closure. You just cant beat it. So close, so close - for the entire season! That's Revs excitement. Nothing else quite compares.

a517dogg and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burns mentioned a while ago that there was lots of "international" interest in the job. Great. But I suspect it's kinda like some manager who would like to be in the Premiership. Sure, MLS is a young, upcoming league, with alot of potential, unlike almost any job in the world. Lts of upside if you are in a good situation. But for the same reason that "Premiership" job openings are not for Man United or Chelsea, but for relegation strugglers who would be lucky to win a third of their games, clubs who don't have the resources to challenge at the top. Now a guy might take a job like that for a couple of years and use it as a stepping stone to a better gig, but any experienced manager with a strong background and has options isn't going to go for a job like this. If you want to work in "the MLS," you sign on with a club like LA, who may suck now, but are ambitious enough to not want to suck forever, and whose ownership has a track record of doing everything they can to make the club competitive.

No, we'll hire a guy like Savarese. Cheap, looking to break into MLS, and at least would be a modest step up from Heaps. I suppose it wouldn't be all that bad, since it's probably the best we can expect...