The things WE say...Your best lines ever

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Errol V, Jun 29, 2016.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Did you caution the debate before you expelled it?

2. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    This isn't that great, but I thought it might be useful. U16 B competitive match, and I only have one AR. Latino coach gives me some grief for missing offside calls on the end of the pitch where I don't have an AR. Me says "Do you want me on the sideline holding a flag, or out here." No reply.

dadman repped this.
  3. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    BU15 game. About 5 minutes into the game, I'm hearing rumblings about a player needing a sub. I identify the player, he's got a look on his face, so I whistle to get the coaches attention and mime the sub signal. Player runs over yelling, "Coach, I've got diarrhea!" We all chuckle.

About 10 minutes later, the player returns to the field. His teammates are giving him shit (pun intended) about it. I decide to chime in.

"That's an accident I'm glad I didn't see. Would have given you a red card for that, for referee abuse."

The captain turns to me and asks if I really would have given him a red card for that.

"No."

Pause

"It would have been for violent conduct."

Kit and Law5 repped this.
  4. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Men's open 1st division. One player for the red team is 45 years old, old enough to be the father of his teammates. Not a bad player. Let's call him "C." Middle of the second half, 0-0, his teammate, "D," gets fouled out towards the touchline, about the edge of their attacking third. I hit the whistle, because it was a borderline reckless foul, although probably not in this division. Just then, I see "C" running in to the ball from 30 yards away, the ball having rolled maybe 15 yards towards the goal line after the whistle. "D" protests "Ref, advantage!!!!" I told him, "I just figured that C wasn't able to run fast enough anymore to get there in time." D points to me and says, "You've got a point."

meyers, IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    HS girls varsity. Before the game, the visiting coach is standing there as her team warms up, holding her son, who appeared to be, maybe, 10 months old. I went to them with a big smile and asked him "Are you playing today?" He's giving me the kid "I don't know what you're talking about" look. Mom says, "No, he's coaching." Again, talking to him (knowing mom is listening), I said, "Well, don't yell at me too loud when I make a mistake." No change in the kid's expression. I asked him "Can I get a fist bump?" No change in expression. I gently tapped his hand with my fist. The kid gives me a big smile. Mom is beaming. And I didn't hear a single word of complaint from her the whole game. :)

Gary V, dadman, SccrDon and 5 others repped this.
  6. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Too bad you had to remove him from the sideline since he’s not on the roster

dadman and Law5 repped this.
  7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Way back when I coached my son's 1st grade team the coaches acted as the refs during games (played 4v4). I would walk around the field with my one year old daughter on my shoulders.

dadman, SccrDon and IASocFan repped this.
  8. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus the advent of the no heading rule.

dadman, jayhonk, J'can and 4 others repped this.
  9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Exiting without permission?

10. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Premature evacuation

11. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    "What game are you guys watching?"

To a pair of attackers who insisted there was no way I could have seen the handball <shudder> that didn't happen, since I wasn't even looking, something-something.

Call was handling, made ten feet straight abaft an attacker whose outstretched arm took the ball off the hop, FK coming out.

I had just had enough.

dadman repped this.
  12. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Were you in the Navy?

13. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    No I have to shake the rust off my English degree every so often

dadman, voiceoflg and swoot repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many years ago, I was in the middle for a U18 boys tournament championship game. Your typical physical play on a corner kick, and I had both kids yelling at me that the other one committed the foul. I looked at both of them and said, "I must have made the correct call since both of you are mad at me" as I ran up the field for the ensuing goal kick. No further discussion from the players.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  15. holdingmid

holdingmid Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Last weekend I was CR on in a U14 boys lower level game and had two players really leaning into each other with their legs far out from each other. We were waiting for the keeper to retrieve the ball and reset for a goal kick. We probably had another 10 seconds or so before the restart would happen. It was really goofy looking. As I watched them they were just leaning waaaaay in trying to hold position against the other. Not sure why that particular six inches of turf had significance…especially while the keeper was retrieving the ball....but it seemed to.

I whistled for the keeper to hold up and I hollered out to them “ My goodness guys what the heck are you two doing? Stop that cause’ it’s just too weird!” Now their teammates are cracking up at them. And then they did too. No problems from them before or after the event….it was just wierd looking ....and funny.

dadman, Doug the Ref and IASocFan repped this.
  16. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I had a U15 boys match where a couple of players were similarly trying to establish position by shoving each other around while the ball was out of play before a corner. I walked up to them and asked "Are you two dating?" That put an end to the shoving and all other manner of contact. When I later recalled the story to one of our local club mentors he strongly advised against using that line in the future.

17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you can get away with it why not? Just kidding just kidding
    I've told players stuff that I would not repeat in the referee tent.

voiceoflg, Law5 and IASocFan repped this.
  18. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I only used this once, and with a coach I've known for some time:

HIM: complain, complain, complain, complain complain.
    ME: Yeah, yeah, I hear you, coach.
    HIM: Well then why complain complain complain complain complain
    ME: Because that's how I saw it.
    HIM: No, you didn't
    ME: Look, (coach's name), when did we get married?
    HIM: Crap, sorry.

Gary V, dadman, J'can and 4 others repped this.
  19. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Mine is "Gentlemen, don't start dancing till the music starts. Wait the the ball to be in play, please."

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  20. mvgary

mvgary Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Bang! Here's your card.

My roommate is talking in his sleep, it's 1:00 AM at a tournament. I have no idea what the card was for.

dadman repped this.
  21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Probably for snoring. I've been cautioned for that.

voiceoflg, threeputzzz and dadman repped this.
  22. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Boys U15 Tourney. One player wraps his arms around opposing player. After I blow my whistle I say “You can give him a hug after the game is over!” The parents side erupted in laughter on that one.

dadman, rh89 and Cornbred Ref repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

I'd encourage you to resist that one. It could be interpreted in ways that may offend.

24. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If I didn't say something because it might offend someone, I would never say a word.

Cornbred Ref and YoungRef87 repped this.
  25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Dude, when you're a ref you're not just you. Saying something that can be interpreted as homophobic is simply not appropriate in that role, however appropriate you may think it is in other contexts. Refs and humor is risky at best and riskier for those without grey hair. Humor that can be perceived as sexist, racist, homophobic, or belittling is simply not appropriate.

dadman, Mi3ke and Bubba Atlanta repped this.