The things we hear returns - 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by wh1s+1eR, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I had this happen in a HS game last year. Bang Bang play where attacker gets wiped out, plays the ball back, and goal is scored. He then proceeded to curse me repeatedly, and wanted to fight everyone while being red carded. He got a 4 game suspension, 2 from the state and 2 more from the school. Oh, did I mention he was the Captain....

2. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    But the captain has the right to question the ref, don'cha know?

IASocFan, dadman and Schlager repped this.
  3. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Good for the school for tacking on two more games.

Law5, dadman and Schlager repped this.
  4. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't fix stupid!

voiceoflg, MrPerfectNot and IASocFan repped this.
  5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give a free kick at the top of the penalty area (in the penalty arc) about 19 yards from goal. When I'm setting up the wall, the defenders say "you have to walk it off". I respond with "the ball is 19 yards from goal, the penalty spot is 12, and the goal area is 6. Halfway between them is 9 yards which is the correct distance".

The player replies with "this is soccer not math".

Sigh.

dadman, Doug the Ref, rh89 and 6 others repped this.
  6. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had that this weekend. I responded with, "The lines make it easy."

dadman, Law5 and IASocFan repped this.
  7. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    I was spectating. (nice change) Friends young girl is playing AYSO 10u local final.
    An agitating spectator, well down in the attacking third away from AR has been chirping for a while. Nothing too bad, just annoying and I can tell it's starting to aggravate the ref.
    Ball goes out of play within 5 yards of the halfway line. Usual 10u muddle of players around the ball.
    Spectator: "Cmon...that was off blue..it's our throw. Seriously,..c'mon ...that's our throw!!"
    Ref: (after getting the player to hold up on the throw in) Loudly to that area of the touch line. "I've had a few important decisions this week. Which day to start chemo for my sister, whether to take out a second mortgage and a few others. Whether it's a blue or pink thrown in at a 10u soccer game isn't on the list"
    Umm.. No more chirping.

Rufusabc, YoungRef87, roby and 11 others repped this.
  8. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I once tossed a spectator for something similar, perhaps a bit prematurely. HS JV girls match, solo. Challenging game to ref, I learned they played earlier in the season and there was bad blood. They were going at it hard. Full size turf field, lots of spectators. Blue v White. Blue plays a ball to the touchline at midfield, white gets a leg on it but I judged it was out before white touched it, so throw in awarded to white. A spectator starts jumping up and down while protesting the direction of the throw in. He's actually jumping, and does a full twist in the air for emphasis. I simply pointed at him and said "Leave." He left.

In the handshake line a blue player says "Sorry about my dad."

YoungRef87, Rocinante, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  9. Rocinante

Rocinante Member

Oct 9, 2018
    There's a big leap (pun intended) between a parent complaining while sitting or standing and getting so agitated that they're physically moving around.

I guess what I would do depends on if he's jumping around in the stands away from the field or if there are no stands and he's just feet from the touchline.

10. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Feet from the touchline in this case.

Schlager repped this.
  11. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    “Let them have the ball...both halves, and let them choose the side.

Red vs. white. White is undefeated with one draw. 32 goals for, 5 goals against. Time for the coin toss and the white team players are nowhere in sight. Their coach said his team needs a lesson and red can have the ball for both halves and they can choose the side. I know what the laws state about the coin toss. Would you go along with the coach?

We did. Red team scored five minutes in and again ten minutes in. 2-0 at half. Red took the kick again to start the second half. But White scored twice early in the second half and again with a few minutes left before stoppage time. 3-2 White final.

12. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    voice,

I respectfully think this was a mistake.

I think, in a sane world that, red would be too embarrassed to file a protest trying to force a replay for the violation of the LotG since it was their idea and they ultimately lost. If they do, I can only hope the reviewing committee is sane enough to let the results stand by denying the protest.

This would be putting the committee through unnecessary effort. I cannot imagine that, if I were a committee member, there would be no repercussions for the referee team that let this happen.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a committee member for any league)

13. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I was AR2. What would you suggest I do when the other two were OK with it? When Red’s coach, when told about it, was OK with it?

14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Would suggest that you carry on.

15. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I would point out that this makes the match protestable, why, and then let the Referee make the decision. I would also make sure that this fact got to the committee prior to the hearing on the protest.

I imagine the conversation would go something like: "You went ahead with your decision after your AR gave you information about the potential complications?"

16. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Heading behind the goal to get my team warmed up while game before ours is going on. Club tournament in San Diego this weekend. I hear the AR yell to the referee to tell the Home Team bench to go chase the extra ball that was shanked over the goal. I ask him if that’s a rule (I’m being a smartsss but asking with straight face), he says yes, and I say you mean unwritten rule? He says no, it’s in real. I leave it at that and shake my head.

Double check the tournament rules, don’t see anything. I’m a referee and know the laws, so know it’s not in there. Is that a thing? Spoke to a parent about it and he said it’s a high school rule. I don’t know high school rules, so that could be...

17. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    “It’s your kick off coach. What you choose to do with the ball once I blow the whistle is up to you. If the ball doesnt move within 45 seconds of the whistle blowing, I’m issuing yellow to your player closest to the ball. Next one after that is red to the same player”

18. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes. NFHS requires that the home team supply at least 2 ball handlers. It's one of those things about at the level of "required to use an NFHS logo ball". If they don't you still play and deal with it per your local or state guideline. In Texas we are supposed to file a UIL report if they don't.

19. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Iowa and Texas, I rarely see ball handlers for any but varsity games. I also have never seen a NFHS game scheduled before a club game on the same field. I suspect, the ref was making up rules to keep the game moving and minimize time wasting.

20. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    We do not require ball holders for high school games in our state. Last year, I did a game at a brand new high school. For their first year, they only had freshmen and sophomores, so no varsity team. My game was JV girls, under the lights, introduction of players and officials, national anthem and six middle school age ball holders, all in contrasting color pinnies.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  21. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    To be clear, this wasn't a high school tournament, it was a club soccer tournament that uses the Laws of the Game modified a bit for the ages, etc. I was just wondering if this is something seen/done around the club world.

22. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Not until you get to professional leagues it is not. The most likely scenario is a referee that is not cognizant of the differences between HS and club. As an instructor this scares me, probably more than it should.

If he or she is making this [relatively inconsequential] mistake, what other inter-law mistakes are they making during the match? Ya think coaches might pick up on this? It's just another reason for a 3rd party to lose confidence in you. Don't gift it to them.

23. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    I don't think it helped my girl's when he was our referee. I usually believe referees aren't biased towards one team or another, and argue with our parents after the game when they swear all the calls went against us. Most times the bad calls go both ways, parents are just too blind to notice it.

This time though, I think he was slightly biased against us after I got in his head during the previous game. Bias could have been in my head though, as I worried about it before the game started and I noticed he was to be our ref.

24. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    What exactly were they going to learn during that extra kickoff that they haven't learned at least 32x this season? To me it sounds pretty disrespectful from the coach

25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think you missed the point. Not getting to kick off was intended as punishment of his team for being late. I can see why you missed it though, as it's a pretty stupid way to try to punish the team . . .

voiceoflg and IASocFan repped this.