The things we hear returns - 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by wh1s+1eR, Jan 9, 2018.

1. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Preach!

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Hmm. Maybe another moment's thought to just who might owe whom an apology?

3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Okay, you dragged it out of me. :)
    They decided, their description, that it would be "funny" to do stuff like goose stepping down the line, staying with the third last defender and even having the AR on the opposite side of the field flag for things like offside and throw-ins, instead of the AR on the correct end/side of the field doing that. Just totally unbelievable but they both admitted it when we pulled them in to interview them. One of them even said "My wife said I shouldn't work with [the other AR] because he's a bad influence on me."

dadman repped this.
  4. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    You might be correct.

dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  5. rdelux

rdelux New Member

United States
    Jul 13, 2018
    Southern California
    Whoa! Not that I am doubting you, it's hard to believe anyone I have worked with would act in such an unprofessional way. I can't even imagine how frustrating that would have been for you as the Center.

6. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I wasn't the center. I was one of the SRA's involved in dealing with this. The center, the league and the game site were located in my state. The AR's were both registered in a different state.

Unprofessional behavior? "Every time you think you've seen it all, along comes something else." Thomas Bobadilla. Two of the more "outstanding" things I've dealt with: A referee (and instructor) who robbed a bank, and was arrested by a fellow referee who also happened to be a Deputy Sheriff. A coach, also registered as a referee, who threatened the referee on a U-17 girls game with some very explicit violence. Not his first red card for abusing a fellow referee. He got a one game suspension on the coaching side of things. The assignor's complaint on the referee side about the behavior got him "dismissed from the Federation" (can't referee, coach, administer or play in anything affiliated with FIFA). Two days after the decision was final, he died in a single car "accident" at 6 a.m. after a full night of drinking in a bar. He was reportedly also going to be arrested for spousal abuse.

And then there was the high school referee who was doing a varsity girls game. The home coach had recently had a baby. During the run of play, the referee was telling one of the girls from the home team that he had dated the coach shortly before she got married to her husband and maybe the coach should check to see who the father was. You can not make this stuff up.

Kempa, me116, Geko and 3 others repped this.
  7. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ ^ ^
    Wow, @Law5.

People! :rolleyes: :eek:

Makes me appreciate my recently-departed dog all the more.

[​IMG]

Law5, Kit and YoungRef87 repped this.
  8. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable! You really can't make that stuff up.

9. swoot

swoot Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago I went to watch the local high school team on a rare day off. As game time approached I noticed there was only 1 referee on the sidelines. Pretty soon the AD came over and asked if I could do the game since one ref hadn't shown up. He didn't even call. The next week we found out he'd been arrested for trying to hire a hit man to take out his girlfriend's husband.

10. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Holy crap

11. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SFP or VC? :)

swoot and dadman repped this.
  12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I think it’s SFP because of it being an “attempt”. :whistling::whistling:

But, throwing a punch without landing is considered VC so, maybe. :sleep::sick:

dadman repped this.
  13. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I had a ref in his 40s tell me that he had red carded a kid for turning around and punching his opponent in the stomach. Later on the game, one other player took a swing at someone but missed. The ref awarded a YC. He asked me if that was the right call and I told him that even an attempted strike is a RC.

14. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Age does not always equal wisdom.

15. rdelux

rdelux New Member

United States
    Jul 13, 2018
    Southern California
    That sounds more like an experience issue than a wisdom issue.

dadman and YoungRef87 repped this.
  16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    40s is not age. I think I might have been an even bigger idiot in my 40s than I was in my 30s.

dadman repped this.
  17. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Exactly. This guy is a pretty good ref, but I guess he just didn’t know that particular ruling.

18. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    I saw a CR in one of my son's game last spring ref the entire game with a hood pulled up over his head. It was lightly misting off and on through the game and he had a hoodie under his jersey. He missed quite a few calls because of the complete lack of peripheral vision. Not to mention the parent's perception of his lack professionalism

dadman repped this.
  19. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I once saw a ref who had a hoodie on OVER his referee uniform. Although it was raining, that still sends a bad message.

20. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ALWAYS emphasize this to newer refs: layer under your jersey. Wear a bunch of long sleeve compression gear under your jersey and you’ll be fine. If you want to look professional wear shorts but some assignors allow pants. I’ve never worn pants while refereeing but I have worn pants to and from games. Get some of those basketball tear away pants and you’re good to go. But back to my main point don’t wear hoodies under your uniform if you want to look professional. It’s smarter to layer and you can move around better.

dadman repped this.
  21. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I will admit to, once or twice, wearing skin tight black running tights while reffing. I pulled my socks as high as I could get them to stay and wore my longest shorts. In my defense, the thermometer in my car said 24 degrees when I pulled in and there was spitting snow.

I have a XXL long sleeve jersey (I'm normally a L) for games I need to wear three or four layers underneath.

dadman repped this.
  22. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    What’s wrong with wearing running tights? I wear my Under Armour cold gear tights whenever it gets below 40 degrees.

voiceoflg repped this.
  23. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    The only thing that should be below 40 degrees is beer. (between 36 and 40)

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  24. flyfishhi

flyfishhi Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Honolulu
    Mens league game. White player dribbles into the penalty area, gets bumped, continues and scores. His idiot teammate starts yelping at me "Didn't you see that foul? You've got to call that foul!"

I should have blown the whistle and asked his teammates if they wanted the PK or the goal, but I just told him to take a referee class so he had a clue.

dadman repped this.
  25. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Did a HS alumni game last night. Morning of the game the site was changed from the soccer stadium to the football stadium. Surprised by this because there are not permanent soccer lines on the football turf. When I arrived, I asked the coach if field conditions were bad at the soccer stadium due to the little bit of rain we had the night prior. He said the field had already been booked.
    For quidditch.

Kempa, Law5, dadman and 3 others repped this.