The Theo Walcott Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Sep 7, 2010.

1. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Right. I wasn't saying that the stats tell everything. Although these did tell the tackling story. I was actually expecting a big difference in offensive numbers because of my eyes. This is where stats can be useful though. Fans (mostly English), the press (English) and pundits (mostly English ex players) have a real hard on for work rate and "intent" or whatever. It's why ozil can create 6 chances and get slagged off by the announcer and fans when he shrugs his shoulders after losing the ball instead of chasing after like a spaniel on crack.

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    788045828418043904 is not a valid tweet id

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what you call this kind of chart... a dartboard??

But if the idea is to get a sense for something at a glance, or to compare one player to another, or one player at different times... it doesn't seem to be any good, at least for me.

And part of the problem is that I don't think the scales are consistent from graph to graph, player to player, match to match.

For example with this Theo chart, his xG90 maxes out at 0.60 and his Passing % maxes out at 83%. I gotta figure that on another day, or for another players, you'd have different scales/maximums.

So, honest question: what am I missing about the usefulness of these kind of dartboards?

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They're by position, and the widest circle is top 5% for that position (I think the available positions are forward, attacking mid, midfielder, CB, and fullback).

5. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    According to Knutson, Theo and Arsenal are on the right track for *whispers* a sustainable title challenge

6. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

7. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ted Knutsen is a shibboleth

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theo's having quite a purple patch...

First, scoring goals for fun at the start of this season.

Then, becoming a father for the 2nd time.

And now, he's become a world record holder in controlling a ball from the highest drop ever... 34m!
    http://www.espnfc.com/club/arsenal/...l-theo-walcott-sets-new-guinness-world-record

The video was perhaps craftily edited to show how his 3 teammates couldn't come close, except for Coquelin. Plus it made it seem like Theo didn't have many f-up's until his successful one. But in the end, well done Theo. An amazing feat! Or should I say amazing feet?

9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Goodbye Theo.

It's a little sad how it turned out for him and us, and I'm a little wistful today. Obviously, he doesn't deserve the contract he had with us, but he's been an efficient attacking squad player over the past few years. He's also the last emotional link to the last days of a bygone era.

All in all, Theo's career at Arsenal has been the perfect manifestation of the last twelve years of Arsenal. Streaky, and sometimes good, but never consistently excellent. He's been nothing but professional during his time here and I hope he does well at Everton and in the future.

Kinda pissed we're selling him to a direct rival tho :D:cry:

DaPrince84, Subzero, Quentin and 3 others repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Except maybe not too too well at Everton. ;)

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you know it's bad when you view Everton as a rival ;)
    i miss the days when ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool and ManC were our real rivals

bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your service and loyalty Theo. It’s been a fun ride. Bittersweet. Watched the kid grow up at Arsenal

13. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Right after they signed Theo I was in London and got to tag along with someone when they went to pick their season ticket seat at the Emirates. There was an employee working at the place that looked EXACTLY like Theo and was at work in a light grey suit with a red/white striped tie. So much so that people were taking pictures with him to tell people they just met Arsenal's newest signing.

bigredfutbol and Super Llama repped this.
  14. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll miss Theo. When he was on a good run of form and confident, he was devastating. I feel like there were 5 or 6 of these patches throughout his career with Arsenal.

15. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This chart IS Arsenal.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodbye and good luck to Theo. His time at Arsenal really was a microcosm of the club during Wenger's second act --- at times brilliant, at times befuddling, at times woeful, and never really reaching its full potential.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Before the acl tear, he had a chance to step forward.

The story of his Arsenal career is that he is star-crossed. Always has been. The Adebayor goal at Anfield is still one of the his great moments.

Good luck to him. Wish him nothing but the best.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This. Dude was unlucky at Arsenal, either by injuries to himself, bad management (remember that time he got hurt because Wenger sent him on during a really cold league cup game with no warm up time?), or injuries to others.

If he doesn't tear his ACL, he probably adds another 30-40 goals to his career tally. He was on fire that season.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah he has been a good servant but a limited player, maybe he would of flourished under a coach who have more tactical instruction? Who could strwnghten his weakness’?

He had an elite season a couple of years ago, I like to think he would’ve done better in a team that was stronger defensively or at least played competent holding cms

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When you watch Aubameyang, he and Theo are not far off as players. Auba is a better finisher, but their skillsets are very similar.

thebigman repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Auba is taller, probably important for a striker.

If we get him (unlikely, those Zorc comments were fantastic!), we're going to have the same problems with Auba up top that we did with Theo. Dysfunctional midfield.

22. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    except Auba can do solo runs and make from nothing

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    we are signing Auba. He not in the Dortmund squad for tomorrow, apparently.

Auba is taller, but he isn't a big time header of the ball.

They are very similar players, but Klopp and Tuchel developed him into a striker whereas Wenger never did.

Auba is a poacher.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish him the best.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The height thing isn't about being able to score headers, it's to be able to get the ball down when we punt it long. We've done this with RvP, Greedbayor, HLB, as well as Giroud, who is exceptional at it.