The Terrorism thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by YankBastard, Jul 24, 2016.

1. upload_2018-5-6_1-41-56.jpeg

In the USA blacks get killed by the terrorists in blue, even being unarmed.
    This guy gets stopped by making him incapable with shots in the leg.
    What comparison are you precisely making?

2. The man traumatized by what he experienced in Syria.
    This is what the police has known about him.
    He recemtly was arrested and put in mental custody after he threw his furniture etc from his window on the street.
    Use google translate:

'Dader steekpartij Den Haag draaide al eerder door'

VIDEODe 31-jarige Syrische Hagenaar die gisteren drie voorbijgangers neerstak in Den Haag, zou eerder dit jaar voor opschudding hebben gezorgd in dezelfde stad. Vanuit zijn woning in het centrum van de stad schreeuwde hij uit zijn raam en gooide hij zijn inboedel op straat.

Binnenlandredactie 06-05-18, 19:46 Laatste update: 21:35
    Dat melden ingewijden. Doordat hij stoelen, een matras en andere spullen op straat had gegooid, konden trams enige tijd niet door de straat rijden. De politie zette het gebied rond de woning af en het tramverkeer moest worden omgeleid.
    Onderhandelaar
    Na tussenkomst van een onderhandelaar van de politie gaf de man zich over. Daarna werd hij naar een speciale opvang voor verwarde personen gebracht. Daarna werd de straat schoongeveegd.

De verdachte werd gisteren aangehouden nadat hij uit het niets drie mensen neerstak. Zij liggen nog gewond in het ziekenhuis, maar zijn buiten levensgevaar.

[​IMG]
    De Syrische Hagenaar werd eerder dit jaar aangehouden nadat hij zijn huisraad het raam uit gooide. © Videostill Regio15
    [​IMG]
    De man gooide eerder dit jaar zijn volledige huisraad op straat vanuit zijn bovenwoning aan het Lage Zand in Den Haag. © District8
    Typical terrorist behaviour, pulling attention on himself, is it, German guy:rolleyes:

ceezmad repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, there were some asses, but I didn't say it was perfect. Back in the day, I was a ref and read that forum pretty extensively, but didn't participate much as there were other who had more experienced - at the time, there were a couple who were national level (one maybe international level) and had a lot of good insight on why calls were made. There was a subtlety there, though, in that a few posters would never say the ref was wrong, but if they didn't say the ref was correct, the regulars knew their position. But,. it was also run as a forum to gain knowledge, not to say "ref suck" and such.

The way I viewed it was like this, as a comparison. Here in the P&CE, we have some people who are quite knowledgeable about the law, but we also have a few actual lawyers. The lawyers know the law, and sometimes comment on articles which speak of law-things but are not written by lawyers. Similar to how the Ref forum speaks of articles by people who are not refs.

YMMV

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't colonize next time.

This PSA will be repeated from time to time to make sure the message isn't lost on those who most need it.

NORML repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name me all the Dutch middle eastern colonies.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How about the Carribean and South Asian ones?

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are easy.

Did they have any African ones?

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you've heard of South Africa and this little thing called Apartheid? That's 100% Dutch, right there.

[​IMG]

soccernutter, sitruc and ceezmad repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Middle Eastern? None. But Royal Dutch Shell has some major drilling operations in Malaysia, IIRC.

A pretty good size one in the southern part of the continent.

EDIT: Youshou posted as I was finishing.

Gee, I wonder why they had those little port thingies in Western Africa. What could they possibly have shipped from there....?

sitruc, NORML, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Anglo-Dutch, really.

crazypete13 repped this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is right, like New York, they had it first before the British.

I recently did some reading about Taiwan and how it went back and forth between the Portuguese, the Dutch the Chinese and the Japanese.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd rather you name the Euro nations that interfered with North Africa and are now whining about terrorism.

soccernutter and Timon19 repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the one that started is German, they did try to help the Italians keep and expand their colonies in north Africa during WW2, but never actually had one there.

That is why it is a silly talking point, if referring to the German or to the Dutch.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It refers to Europeans, regardless of nationality. That's why people who say it's a silly talking point need to put down the bottle

15. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    So you're gonna lump the Swiss in with the British/Dutch/French/Portuguese/Spanish?

Or are we gonna talk about governments or individuals or groups profiting from colonization/slavery directly? Or indirectly?

If we're talking about 'Europeans' as causes for terrorism it's more a function of capitalism/mercantilism/religion than nationalities or (at the time non-existent) supra-national unions.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Once you open the bottle, the genie gets out.
    If Euros are wetting the bed because of Islamic terrorism, they needed to have convinced one another centuries ago to live on the resources they could find in Europe. Most of what they're so afraid of is the result of past colonization.

17. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Sure - then explain the Ottoman Empire in all of this.

Moishe, dapip and Timon19 repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In all of what- the acts that seem to trigger White/White1965 to the point where he feels the need to link them? The Ottoman Empire isn't involved here. This is about a people whose culture was destroyed by the same Europeans who didn't want to allow them to assimilate entirely into whatever passes for European culture.

If you want me to stop posting, just ask. I certainly didn't expect this sort of partisan inquisition from you. Or from Dapip, who liked your post.

19. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'm not trying to be partisan here, I have a reasonable historical understanding of colonialism and based on what you are saying I think you are oversimplifying things. For example the Ottomans were a colonial power, that post WWI was split up by the various colonial powers (mostly France/UK), and that action rather than the Ottoman colonialism/expansion in North Africa seems to be a bigger issue for generating the migrant situation that is causing the xenophobic response in Europe now.

Not saying that it's not an issue, but colonialism as a cause for this seems more proximate (and specific to the region affected) than an actual cause.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Me liking the post, is more about the continuous nature of human conflict, not necessarily thinking that some white Europeans/Americans don't overreact to news of "other people's terrorism"

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the rise and fall of the Roman/Byzantine empires explains the Ottoman empire fairly well.

crazypete13 repped this.
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The Ottomans were a HUGE colonial empire. They, and the Umayyads and Abbasids before them, extensively colonized North Africa and the Horn of Africa, and also had significant outposts in coastal East Africa (Tanzania, Zanzibar, etc.). All engaged in the slave trade, up to and including the Atlantic slave trade that we are all familiar with. This is despite the legendary (relative) tolerance of the Umayyads in particular.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a Generalization of all Europeans, ok then.

Man some people forget that world history is longer than 300 years.

The Hungarians and Polish do use the idea that they were not colonizing powers, so why should they be forced to take in immigrants.

Now the reasons that most countries were not colonizers is because of lack of opportunity more than everything else.

I am sure the Aztecs would have loved to raid Europe and Africa to capture people to sacrifice to the gods, but they never got to develop the technology so they had to settle for local victims.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, that's true.

dapip and crazypete13 repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Poles were happy to take Nigeria's cull in Olisadebe.