The Terror - AMC

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

The first two episodes of this were great.

Wonderful production values and so far very suspenseful TV.
    As well as a great cast.

Also, Tom Weston-Jones seems to have rotten luck in the kind of characters he gets to play.
    He might turn into the new Sean Bean in that regard, if he keeps this up.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The third episode was very good too.

This feels a bit like "The Thing" with some "Aliens" sprinkled on top, only set in the mid 19th century.

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good actors in this. I;m enjoying it.

Belgian guy repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It took me until episode three to remember that Ciarán Hinds and Tobias Menzies had played together before, as Caesar and Brutus no less, in "Rome".

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm up to episode five of this show.
    It's wonderful.
    Though like all great monsters, the killer bear was scarier when he was still largely unseen than after his first true reveal. :)

6. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That whole court martial and flogging sequence made no sense. Your crew are getting ripped to shreds one by one, and one of your officers brings in a local woman who may shed light on the situation. Do you immediately interrogate the woman? No. You send her off to the other ship, and get about the top priority of punishing the men who apprehended her. Then you drink yourself to sleep.

Still, incredible atmospherics on this show.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think that scene was meant to convey the sense that Captain Crozier is spinning out of control.

Also, even with a Captain who isn't caught in a tailspin, those men would have been reprimanded. They ignored a direct order.

8. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I wonder though if the Royal Navy still flogged sailors by the 1840s?

9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we got to see the monster. A little disappointing. Just a big polar bear.

Belgian guy repped this.
  10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This is a constant in most horror. The monster is always less scary once you've properly seen it. It seemed to have a vaguely human face as well?

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Up to episode 7 of this show.
    Hickey is such a bastard! I guess we now even know that's not even his real name.
    I suppose he likely killed that young sailor to get the paperwork that gave him passage onto 'The Terror'?

12. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget the supernatural, just being in that situation for a couple years would be enough to drive people mad.

Shame this show didn't generate that much interest. Just the two of us watching?

Belgian guy repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Also the lead poisoning that must be influencing most of the crew's mental capacities by now.

14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Great show. However, the Bear doesnt need any Inuit mythology to be scary. The paranormal detracts from stories, in my opinion. Being on that mission is terrifying enough. The must all know its hopeless and just be waiting to see what their turn is like.

Belgian guy repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wow, what an ending to episode 8.
    What I don't get is that the conspirators would still choose to trust Mr. Hickey more than Captain Crozier after Captain Crozier revealed that it was Mr. Hickey who killed the Lieutenant and Mr. Farr, as well as killing the Inuit who were willing to help them by providing food in the form of seal meat. Surely that should have changed the mind of all but the most blinkered among them?

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of agree with Hertha. There's enough going on without the monster. The horrific conditions, the lead poisoning.

Would you have stayed with the ship or walked out?
    I think I would have stayed with the ship. Gambled on a thaw.

17. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    It looked they were on Mars, only with gravity and oxygen. Here is a great Canadian folk song about the yearning to recreate those heady days of yesteryear...

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Finished with it now. This was ten hours of terrific drama. Perhaps the final episode couldn't quite live up to all the promise that came beforehand, but even that was largely very enjoyable. I think we are taking it a bit for granted that such long-form quality story-telling is now in such abundance.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  19. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just finished, and just like the book, the journey was far better than the destination….although a bit different from the book; TV ending was much lighter on the Inuit mythology… Episodes 1-9…A+ Episode 10…C-

Belgian guy repped this.
  20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall I enjoyed it. But I agree the ending wasn't satisfying. The Tuunbaq is now a sympathetic figure? I'm sure the book delved more deeply into the relationship between the woman and the tuunbaq.

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Bolded - yes!

Some may know I am on permanent Trope Alert and this was very annoying.

Commonly in TV, two characters need to be kept apart to delay resolution of a plot point. The most famous sub-trope of the genre is Amnesia where critical info is forgotten.

Other versions are sickness, going on a quest, getting lost, capture, jail etc.

So in this case we have multiple versions of the trope. The woman is sent away to jail, and the captain gets sick for 2 weeks to prevent them having their big showdown

What i couldn't figure out is why do this?

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Obviously i am way late to the party - but this was top top quality in my opinion.

I must admit I am a sucker for these Antarctic/Artic period settings and the decision to use the rocky wasteland in addition to the ice was pure genius IMO. Few people realise that the Antarctic also has deserts like this.

I think there are one of two continuity errors or parts that make no sense - but clearly hard to keep all the plot points lined up. For instance when Mr Hickey sees the body on The Terror, there is a shadowy figure behind him, who then walks off, then the other members of the watch come - was this just a mistake in the shot composition? Also the Doctors actions at Carnevale seemed completely out of character.

I was beginning to question whether all that stuff really happened? Seemed more like a dream sequence, but was clearly real.

The final monster scene was maybe a bit disappointing after it was built up to be such an end boss. Why did it die?

Anyway - best thing i saw in a long time.

Belgian guy repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I loved the ending apart from Tuunbaq. I feel like i wanted to know more about the woman and the creature but her plot arc went largely nowhere

24. Unheardwaves

Unheardwaves New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Loved all that show, very strange though, the atmosphere is so tense and brooding... The INTRO imho is wonderfully done.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Discipline on these boats was quite something, even on the scientific journeys.

I recall also Shackleton was dealing with one mutinous crew member on his epic journey to save the crew following the loss of Endurance in sea ice. He kept the mutineer with him at all times.

Actually I see I had the order wrong - the captain goes into detox after he speaks to the woman.

His detox creates the space for James Fitzjames plot arc to blow up