the Swiss way to Euro 2008

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by magicgam1, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Presumably that's just drop Huggel from the squad and not Grichting?

I can't understand why Huggel even got in the squad in the first place. Nice altercation after the WCQ play-off against Turkey though - And I saw that match courtesy of ZDF in its entirety.

Whenever I've seen Grichting playing for Auxerre (in a live match) he's always looked solid.

I'm not sure about Vonlanthen. I'd prefer Gygax to play up front/behind Frei and Streller - but KK knows best.

Anyway, nice to see 'my boy' Behrami staking a claim.

It all comes down to numbers in the end, and some will have to be released.

2. Garci

Garci Member

May 18, 2005
    Lausanne / Pully
    häberli and eggimann are out!!! I can't understand why Huggel remain in the squad!?!

It seems that Köbi has decided to consider yakin as a forward, hence häberli was only the 5th one!

3. Ross2006

Ross2006 Member

May 15, 2006
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bohemians Dublin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    cool thanks

no creative / attacking central midfielder then (no Yakin or Cabanas?)

or do you use Gelson in a more attacking role ?

could we see a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 ?

Switzerland impressed me at the WC in 2006, your players looked very ordinary and limited individually, but the team was well set up and played well in all 4 games I thought

4. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Kuhn will stick to the 4-4-2

either Inler or Gelson are supposed to move a bit forward to help the attack

in the first half against Slovakia none of them did and the attacking game look very bad, but in the second half they did it much better and the attacking game improved a lot

only if one of Streller or Frei would be injured, he would switch to a 4-4-1-1 (or read it as a 4-2-3-1) with either Yakin, Gygax or Vonlanthen behind the lone striker

5. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    about the Czech and the Portuguese lineups, it might look like this:

Cech
    Grygera, Ujfalusi, Rozenthal, Jankulovski
    Vlcek
    /Kadlec, Jarolim/Matejovski, Plasil, Polak
    Baros
    Koller

Ricardo
    Boswinga, Carvalho, Pepe, Ferreira
    Moutinho
    /Meira, Petit
    Ronaldo, Deco, Simão
    Gomes

not really sure about Turkey after their a bit surprising selection, let's see how they play in their friendly tonight

6. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Turkey arrived in Bellevue today, Portugal arrive later tonight in Neuchâtel

Streller doesn't want to play for the Nati any more after the Euro

7. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Barnetta and Müller seem okay for Saturday

the Czech will probably play with

Cech
    Grygera, Ujfalusi, Rozenthal, Jankulovski
    Vlcek, Galasek, Jarolim, Plasil, Sionko
    Koller

8. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Apparently Lichtsteiner will start ahead of P.Degen and Derdiyok will partner Frei up front.

Here in England not too much is being said about the swiss in the media - so no surprise there then. :rolleyes:

9. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Lichtsteiner should start, but Streller will probably partner Frei

10. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    what a long day... 90min till the start

11. Epirotian

Epirotian New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Himare, Albania
    swiss are playing pretty good. What happened to frie though? is he out for euros?

12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Judging by his tears, I'm guessing we may not see him again this tournament. Looks like we may find out what Derdiyok can do.

13. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Frei is out 6 weeks

I guess Kuhn will now use Yakin in a supporting role and as he can take freekicks. Otherwise, he might opt for Vonlanthen or Derdiyok or even Gygax.

14. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    And presumably drop Streller!

15. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Yeah, drop Streller play Derdiyok

16. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry 'bout your loss today -- it was pretty heart-breaking.

Still hope you guys get all three points in your match against Portugal.

17. Garci

Garci Member

May 18, 2005
    Lausanne / Pully
    I am the first fan of Barnetta... but once again I can't understand Köbi's coaching.... based on the first game Quillo had not fully recovered, so why köbi decided to remain him in the srating 11????

18. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    The Turks were playing with 12 men (and I don't mean the ref who gave the swiss virtually nothing)

I'm talking about Hakin Yakin who almost contrived to miss his 'goal' and didn't exactly look overjoyed at scoring it either.

As for him missing an open goal from 2m; Oh well, these things happen.

He later made an excellent pass to the Turk keeper when a shot might have been more appropriate.

Presumably Hitzfield will be dropping him for ever, and HK can just pretend to be swiss?

19. Garci

Garci Member

May 18, 2005
    Lausanne / Pully
    oh mate I don't think that you can say that:eek: Ok Hakan miss an open goal from 2 m... but as you said these things happen...

I think that we should not confuse the country of origin with the performance of the players;)

20. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    I put the blame on one man; Köbi Kuhn

It's amazing how little confidence this man has given this team (probably the best generation we've ever had). While Fatih Terim was screaming his head off Köbi just stood there and looked nervous. That works if your the coach of Germany who's winning mentality has always been there but if you're the coach of a young swiss team without full-grown leaders you better step up.

Good riddance..

Welcome Hitzfeld!

21. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    we could see three things in the Euro

-lack of cleverness in attack and in defense. Therefore, I won't miss Streller that much if he doesn't play for Switzerland any more. Hope to see Esteban soon and then Hitzfeld could call up Subotic and co... not for losing more players like Rakitic who would be clever enough...

-lack of class: even with a very good generation we never will have 11 world class players on the pitch, nor 23 players with a great international class in the squad and physically we're always a step behind the top countries - just remember the last two friendlies against Germany. Our only weapon is a perfect teamwork. But the teamwork looked better in 2002/2003 then it looks now.

-lack of combinations: the team still looked like they are still about to get to know each other and they've been playing together for years now. Hope Hitzfeld brings a clear line in very fast

22. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Garci: Yesterday I entered into casual conversation with some members of my local Turkish community (who knew nothing of my swiss footballing allegiance) and I made a remark or two about HK's performance and asked of them what they thought about it.

They (without any prompting from me) said that he didn't look happy when he scored, and didn't look bothered when he missed what would have been the second goal for Switzerland.

They then went on to explain that Hakan Yakin's mother wanted her son(s) to play for Turkey and not Switzerland. Same goes for Murat Yakin of course.

Make your own mind up?

It's obvious to me - but too late for KK and Switzerland unfortunately.

Hakan Yakin 'did it'/didn't do it for mamma. Simple as imho.

23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    you guys have been unlucky, as has the other host Austria. Even the best teams need luck to win tournaments, I thought you outplayed Czech Rep. in the opening match, it all went downhill after that.

24. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Nice to see the smile back on Hakan Yakin's face last night, but too little too late.

As for my earlier posts: Perhaps 'the occasion' got to him against Turkey - especially as Switzerland were kicking towards the Turkish fans end in the first half.

One of soccer's imponderables?

Anyway, onwards and upwards towards WC 2010.

25. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you got knocked out because they were better than you. You couldn't even beat the US at home. That showed right there that you were destined for doom. Your manager did the best he could do with the talent he has.