The "Still Hope For Milwaukee" Thread

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by K-sWeise, Mar 26, 2009.

1. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure hed love to continue that work, but with the wave having its largest revenue crowd in two years at their last home game, I think he's just getting started.

2. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am sure I read this long ago, but good post.

3. ExileOnDaytonStreet

ExileOnDaytonStreet New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    SK Rapid Wien
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I daydreamed about the stadium issue as well.

The UWM concept is very intriguing. And I would take it one step further: a potential stadium that might be used for UWM* could also house a potential UFL franchise. Right off the bat, you're looking at an easy potential of three tenants for a new stadium, which would be HUGE in helping pay for the thing.

You could do this anywhere. By the UWM campus as noted. Assuming the Milwaukee Mile is dead (and why not, given the existence of that other roadway up by Kohler), that's a great spot, right next to the fairgrounds and ample parking. There's probably places you could do this in the valley by Miller Park.

But here's the kinkiest idea of all: suppose the Summerfest grounds had a small amount of re-organizing, and the Marcus Amphitheater were torn down and replaced with a stadium? Then, in addition to maybe having college and/or UFL football to go with an MLS/NASL/USL team, you could have a strong likelihood of getting top notch concert acts to go there, especially during Summerfest.

Of course, there would have to be something figured out to protect the grass from concertgoers (maybe a moveable pitch, a la University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona, if money were no option). But wouldn't that be something? You'd have to wonder if the Henry Maier people would ever consider that.

Of course, this is all moot point to a degree. The economy's gotta pick up around here before we can ever dream of this sort of thing. And some of the lamer sporting events in town (I'm looking at you, Milwaukee Wave and Milwaukee Iron... football and soccer don't belong indoors with techno beats in the background!) are bound to get in the way. To say nothing of the likelihood that Minnesota, Detroit and St. Louis all get theirs before we do.

But there are a lot of potential interests here, if they all could get on board. Plus, between the Kickers, Bavarian SC, FC Milwaukee, etc., we already have a lot of elements in place for local academies and development programs.

*Or even Marquette, if Marquette had the space to do this instead... maybe down by Potowatomi where their current field is? Maybe both could start up a football team and use a stadium. Who knows? It's not like this isn't all talking out of our arses here.

4. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strike One

Strike Two

Strike Three, and the runner is caught trying to steal second.

5. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I think the best option, given the state of racing in Milwaukee, is to convert the Milwaukee Mile to a soccer stadium. All things considered, it would be a lot cheaper than starting from scratch, it would make use of an underutilized area, it is relatively close to downtown and offers easy access just off the highway. The Marquette fields might work as well, and would be even closer to downtown and the Hispanic community (which is going to be a key group for soccer I think), and would again offer a good starting point.

I also think that if we want an MLS team we have to support our local NPSL team (Bavarians) and perhaps work to get a USL pro team. We can always build from there and upgrade to an MLS team like Seattle, Vancouver, Portland.

6. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowhere near enough room at Valley Field for a proper stadium.

7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you could knock over the milwaukee mile entirely, then you have a chance. But thats it. Just a chance.

8. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just a note, but I remember hearing from someone at the MKE Mile when it wasn't completely crashing that there were ideas of expanding it to join whatever the major circuit is in indy racing and then having hotels etc. added to that area.

Seemed pretty ambitious even at the time, but at least you know there were considerations of doing it and I would assume some sort of research done.

9. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA"]YouTube- Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance'[/ame]

10. ExileOnDaytonStreet

Jul 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    SK Rapid Wien
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ExileOnDaytonStreet

Jul 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    SK Rapid Wien
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that the Summerfest/College football angle is a HUGE stretch- and I'm sure this topic is grounds for a lot of skepticism towards any hopeful ideas.

But UFL and MLS/NASL/USL groundsharing a new-ish stadium in Milwaukee would have some hope, and even if it weren't lakeside, you know that a new stadium in Milwaukee could have some concert potential.

Plus, I don't think anyone's throwing out any runners in this town this summer.

12. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College football in Milwaukee will not happen in my lifetime (I'm 21).

And Lucroy has already thrown out 9 this season.