The Shteve McLaren'sh FC Twente thread [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    He's always brilliant for our NT at the CM spot. Frees him up more easily to move into areas where that left foot of his can become a factor offensively. And he genuinely likes a bit of a scuffle.

2. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I brought this to the Ajax thread...

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just saw that Schalke have sacked Fred Rutten today. Didn't even give him a full season at the helm.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No-one does well in that snake pit. Both Rutten and Engelaar on their way to PSV apparently. Which also hints at Afellay leaving in the summer.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Some very early new player news: we've just signed De Graafschap's Luuk de Jong on a three year contract which is good news for the club as Heerenveen also wanted to sign him, i.e. Twente is a more atrractive option for talented 18-year old than Heerenveen these days. He's Ajax's Siem de Jong's brother btw, a bit Kuyt like.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    And as summer is nearing, thus starts the undoubtedly again endless stream of transfer rumours concerning Twente players. According to AD and several Italian papers, both Roma and Genoa want Arnautovic.

7. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    for the Eredivisie

it what Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam always says

it's evolution baby

it all stinks--you cannot blame the player--he has a very short career and any big cash is a natural attraction-

-he may blow a knee next fall and poof goes the earning power

its the system--contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on if someone wants to leave

this is so hard to conceive and accept for someone from North America where a contract is a contract and every league has a salary cap-

-free agency happens once you are without a contract

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    This is probably going to be the third summer in a row that we lose three key players (Elia, Arnautovic, Douglas probably) Which is why I almost don't want us to finish second. We're going to have start building a new team all over again.

Oh well.

9. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Douglas?---where is he going--what are the rumors?

and if Engelaar is coming back-- is PSV offering so much more $$ ?

If they get 2nd and get into CL the cash will flow a little better and perhaps they can hold onto a few of these guys

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The CL is targeted at making rich clubs richer and at widening the financial gap. If Twente do finish second, we won't be seeded again. Which means that we're up against a seeded club in the CL qualifiers, i.e. the likes of Arsenal. I don't see the point of it all. We did well in Europe this season and it's cost us money rather than gave us financial benefits! The Ajax point of view is different as they still have the illusion that they can perform in the CL. We're a lot more realistic over here.

The only plus side of it all to us is that Arnautovic, Elia and Douglas cost us nothing. We're likely to make a shedload out of selling them which will help us a great deal in paying off our loan to the municipality for the stadium expansion. See we don't have a sugardaddy liike AZ do. The biggest Twente sponsor is one of the supporters associations (De Vriendenkring) which is made up of local small and medium sized business owners. That's part of what makes Twente a great club in my view but it's also frustrating to see that a club like Twente, that does business decently and that is completely built on local support, is losing out to clubs that are built on a lot of hot air. To me that's the travesty of modern football but never mind, I sit here in the knowledge that we get a lot more enjoyment out of our clubs than the likes of ManU even, judging on how quiet their fans are even at home.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Rumour is that you are going to sign Lujk de Jong (I may have misspelled the first name) Siem's brother from Grafschaap, a rather solid striker.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Read a page back, we've already signed him. I wouldn't call him a solid striker. He's scored two goals in eighteen games! At 18 he's a bit of a project. I've every reason to trust our scouts though, they can spot talent.

13. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Anyone can see that the coming years will be Ajax' chance to restore some of the former glory.

CL triumph would probably be a bit too much, but a semi final should be possible as long as the club works according to a plan.

But we all know that Ajax hasn't had much of a plan for the past 15 years.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's all about money AFCA. What with television and sponsorship revenues being limited in Dutch football, Ajax will never be able to increase its budget to the levels of the top sides in French and German football even, and the latter two aren't the real contenders in the CL as we all know, even while they have vastly more to spend than the Dutch. Things might change somewhat if UEFA introduce the 6+5 rule and the ban on under 18 transfers.

15. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    The 6-5 rule--I do not think will make much difference--the best players will come home for the big clubs--

think forward here folks

the top $$ clubs are going to scoop up the best local talent and then sprinkle 5 internationals
    check out Chelsea--Liverpool--ManU--Arsenal--they already have the best English players
    the very best Dutch players will still play elsewhere--it will not help the Eredivisie

the top clubs--they will have the very best of the local talent--so not much will change as far as the big clubs go-

-it will equalize the middle clubs somewhat--but it will in my opinion make the top clubs even stronger

again think ahead--it won't change anything for the balance at the top

the under 18 is a a bit of a game changer----this way teams have a chance to develop prospects a little longer and not worry about a 16 year old leaving--still there will be an exodus at 18

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    But Dutch clubs can at least ask a decent transfer fee for their homegrown players when they're 18 if there's a ban on under 18 transfers. I've said it before, that's the problem right now. Dutch clubs can't take the financial risk of giving under 18s a fullyfledged professional contract so they typically walk out the door for virtually nothing to a club that will and can take that financial risk.

17. ginola999

ginola999 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    How good is Elia? Is he likley to become part of the Dutch National side? How doe she compare to say Castelen? And where is he most likley to end up next season?

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's in the top 10 of best players in the Dutch league right now according to the several footballer of the year standings, and categorised in the top five hottest eredivisie transfer targets by a leading Dutch footy mag. Ajax put in an offer of six million for him last christmas which Twente laughed away. Elia then got a contract extension with a minimum transfer fee clause of eight million; he's already indicated that he's likely to leave in the summer. These clubs are said to have a real interest in signing him: Ajax, HSV, Man City, and a Spanish club I can't remember the name of. HSV right now look most likely to snap him up. Are you telling me Spurs are also interested?

He's extremely quick similar to Castelen, but unlike Castelen he's also technically gifted. What we all like about him over here is that even though he's a creative player, he's got a great mentality and it's not beneath him to help out in defence, i.e. a real team player. Could improve his end product mind! We complain about his passing a lot. Overall it'd be great if we could keep him for a while longer but we've already resigned to the fact that that won't happen.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    As for the Dutch national team: a lot of people believe he should be picked ahead of Babel who rarely starts for Liverpool. He just played a brilliant game for the Holland reserves who smashed Germany under 21 in Germany 4-0, Elia scored two goals in that game and set another one up.

20. ginola999

ginola999 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No, Im' suggesting tottenham are interested in him. HSV are my second team, so i was asking about him as I'd read he'd been linked with them. I love watching teams with fast, exciting wide players. Jol seems to like Pertroipa, who has imporved alot in recent weeks, so I really like the idea of him on the right and a similar player on the left. It sounds as if Elia is a similar player, though of a higher standard.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well like I said it looks likely that HSV will indeed get him! I just hope that if he does leave, he doesn't end up at Ajax to be honest.

22. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Sell us Arnautovic instead. Our scouts are too lame to find the next Ibrahimovic on their own.

(really kidding here, sick of the hyper-inflation we incur buying from within the league)

23. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Oh yes

I'm sure you lost a bundle on Huntelaar

24. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    True true...But he was scoring 30+ goals a year to earn us that payday from Madrid. What about a guy like Sulejmani who has been above average at best. Unless he explodes on the scene next season I don't anticipate as high a margin between what we bought him for and what we sell him for. At this point he has more likely lost value.

25. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay we're at 500, Ms. Neeskens would you create the new thread :).