The Santi Cazorla show

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yup, Santi has been my favorite player since he joined, downs as well as ups, because he is having more fun playing the game than anybody else.

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've called you out before, so kudos to you for an intelligent post. A couple of issues I have though:

Cazorla's being played in the right position, more than anything else. Playing him on the wing negates his ability to create space, suck in defenders, and create mismatches when he has the ball, and reduces the impact of his tactical awareness. Playing him on the wing negates his strengths and highlights his weaknesses, while playing him centrally does the opposite.

Also, I think we're overrating how good Coquelin is. He's had a few good games, but that role absolutely requires that someone be able to pass the ball and switch play. He's great defensively, but against bad teams, someone has to switch play to create the kinds of mismatches that lead to chances.

Can I ask how you think Ozil and Cazorla are getting onto the field at the same time?

Also, Ozil is really, really good at manipulating space off the ball. We're all drawn to the ball in the way we watch games, but Ozil's great at moving off the ball in tight spaces to create space for others. We watch him counterattack and think he needs space, but his game is a good deal more sophisticated than that.

I also think the distinction between the 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, and 4-3-3 is overblown. In defense, we're usually playing a 4-3-3 with a line of midfielders shielding the defense, and in attack we're either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-4-1. The only real difference (assuming Alexis nominally on the left and Ozil nominally central) in positioning between the two formations is how far forward Ramsey and Cazorla get.

I don't think JFW is a credible option anymore, as he needs games to get to form and gets hurt way too easily, but Ramsey and Cazorla are certainly viable options in the CM role. But otherwise, very well said.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resurrecting a dormant thread to posit this...

Of recently injured players, have we missed Santi Cazorla more than anybody else?

When he & Coq both went out to injuries in close succession, our results tanked. Also out were Sanchez, Welbeck, etc. Now everyone, including Coq, is back... EXCEPT for Santi.

And yet our form & our results are still suffering. I know it's usually not so simple as just one player being in or out, but in this case doesn't it make you wonder?

Could Santi, in his CM role next to Coq, have been much much more important to our prior success than we realized?

If so, I'd say he's due some belated credit!

4. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Honestly. I think it comes down more to the goals from our attackers have dried up. Santi isn't as much of a supplier or goal scorer in that respect and Ozil is still creating insane amounts of chances without him.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes our goal-scoring has absolutely sucked and that is a huge reason we've dropped points. But Santi was a linker, and more a provider than you give him credit for I think. Plus his balance was quite good, not giving up the defensive ship too much.

charlie15 repped this.
  6. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Im not saying he isnt good at what he does, just saying he has less impact on the goals in the middle as he did when he was covering for ozil last year and had a great year.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, he was much more important when Ozil was out. Which makes you realize that if we were to lose Ozil before Santi is back, we are totally F-ed.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is just an understatement. Santi is the team's cog, the facilitator, the one who creates/ imposes the tempo.
    With Santi, we have a clear game plan, Coq gets the ball back and quickly finds Santi who
    is generally close by, not 20 yards away. Santi can beat a player with his quick feet, look for the Sanchez or Ozil or try a pass between the lines.
    Coq- Santi is also our best pairing, they may each have their weaknesses but they complement each other really well. We have seen how their absence has affected our overall performance. I am hoping he will be back mid march for the final sprint.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure he is missed in the attacking sense

But we have a problem controlling matches without him.

DutchCane and InTheSun repped this.
  10. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Which shows I guess , who will he be replaced with?

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Xaka? Kroos? We need someone

12. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Simple fact is there are options out there whether we know them or not. We just need to bring one or two in. It is possible Santi has 1 or maybe 2 seasons left of worthwhile play.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of these two would be great.
    Xhaka is apparently on Pep's list to replace Yaya and I doubt Zidane will let Kroos go.
    I like Isco though, he could slot in well too.

14. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So is Pogba. Pep can't have them all, we just gotta put our money where our mouth is for who we want.

LAgooner05 repped this.
  15. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.
    According to ESPN, citing "sources", Flamini's contract ending in June will not be extended, (Flamini wants an extension). Rosicki and Arteta are gone as well and, still from ESPNFC, Arsene is looking for a top CM to come in this summer.
    I would add that an elite attacker, preferably a RWinger is a must as well.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    no he would not.

I like Isco, but we need a controller. Not another passing attacker.

17. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Bruno Soriano, Thiago Motta, those are older guys I can think of.

I would go for Badelij of Fiorentina. Another option would be to try and buy Kranevitter altho he just signed. There's another guy at Boca, Rodrigo Betancour.

There are many options but we won't buy them because most of em are Portugese agent/South American third party types.

thebigman and DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    As much as Santi is missed it shows that we don't really have parts that function as a hollistic whole.

We don't have playmakers across the lines. If you look at Madrid, Barca and Bayern they have players who can dictate tempo at different positions and can if need be dictate when Kroos/Alonso isn't there. We only have two players who can arguably do that. I think Chambers can eventually but I have a feeling he'll be doing it at some other team.

For Madrid, Kroos Modric can along with Marcelo and Bale if needed. Barca, Mascherano, Alves, Busquets and Iniesta and of course Messi and Neymar.

I think Bellerin can learn to do it but he's not ready right now. Monreal doesn't unless Santi is there. Ramsey can do it but only 2nd and third phase. So yeah.

thebigman repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See what I mean? All Arsenal threads turn into transfer threads these days. :p

20. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    When everything else seems to be falling into place. What else is there to talk about?

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thiago Motta, this guy is a prototype of CM/DLP. Despite his age, I would take him for a year, PSG is not letting him go anywhere though. Kranevittter is good prospect but I think we need a more seasoned midfielder.

22. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Agreed, but I'd like us to buy a ready made guy and an understudy but yeah you're right.

Thiago gave a masterclass in the CL last few seasons. Is there any hope for Wilshire? Being serious here. I think he could play that position if he got his mind right

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too one footed, and teams know how to press him.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year vs Chelsea at the Bridge, playing with 10, he was majestic. On top of it he has a mean streak that can scare people as well. :D
    Jack is good but he is so injury prone that one can not place any bet on him. He is very one footed as well, as Mebe mentioned.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Dutch means the other Thiago.