the Sam Kerr appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by hotjam2, Aug 24, 2015.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Might need to catch up with the times. X-D At least IIRC, $300k+ has been thrown around regularly by Lyon for several players and occasionally for the top player on a couple FA WSL teams.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've read it could be as high as $500K, though, and that's just for the W-League's regular season 12 games/4 months period. Kerr also has contracts with Gatorade & Nike. In fact Nike used her alongside Ronaldo to launch their new Mercurial 360 boot(so possibly extra perks for that)

Hopefully we get sparred Sam Kerr writing children's books, lol

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sam Kerr in cool Hyundai commercial

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sam Kerr, scores the first goal of the NWSL season in fine fashion vs the NC Courage(who shutout Lyon last summer)

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    blissett and KimLittle#Magic repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know that's an AU-based source and the WSL conflicts most directly with the W-League, but her contract with Chicago isn't mentioned at all. The disrespect!

7. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe she is out of contract at the end of the season?

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Having looked at the exchange rate that would translate into 25 500€ per month. Not bad. I bet some US WNT player get more though.

11. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    What USWNT player gets that much for playing football (i.e. not including sponsorships)? Since this isn't regarding World Cups and Olympics, I wouldn't include bonuses either. (Also, don't know how you came to 25,500€ per month.) $1,000,000 over 2 years ($500,000 in one season) is a crazy amount that I'm not familiar with any USWNT player making outside of sponsorships and in a non major tournament year. If I'm wrong though, apologies then.

12. KimLittle#Magic

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 16, 2019
    Could cause issues at Chelsea as other stars surely expect similar or at least be aware pay gap.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    cuz of the sudden coaching change/lack of overall quality, I didn't think the Matlidas wer going to make it very far
    . Interesting though, from reading posts from the Australian woso, facebook club, there's seems to be a backlash against Kerr from their own fans(after the Norway failure).
    So I do think Kerr will accept the Chelsea, as the AU Fed probably would'nt make an counter offer like they did last year

(apparently Carpenter is their new heroine, down under, & Kerr is to blame for their failure, lol)
    probably out dated. but it's the US soccer fed. that pays the salaries of the regular USWNT members(including for playing in the NWSL) & the max figure that I've read most often is $250K an year. But several make more money through advo/endorsments.

Sam Kerr got contracts with Nike, Gatorade & Hyundai. Don't know how much it all adds ups though

blissett repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    just as this threat been resurrected, Kerr had her worst game of the year as her team got solidly whipped by NC Courage in the finals, 0-4. A lot of critique on her poor performance was by the lack of support given by her team mates. Hmm........maybe Blissett could tell us who one of those team mates(who didn't come through)was?

Next up for Kerr is which Euro team she's going to pick as has she's not returning to Australia;, Chelsea, Lyon & PSG all gave offers

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sure: it was McCaskill. Did you notice that Kerr specifically complained to her at the end of first half? :sneaky:

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    What was McCaskill doing--or not doing--that upset Kerr?

Has Lyon really made Kerr an offer? It seems completely absurd. Would they play her and Hegerberg together, along with Le Somer and Paris and Cascarino and all the rest? Comical, almost.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was towards the end of 1st half, on 2-0 for NC Courage (so Chicago could still have some remote hope to come back). At a certain point, Kerr made a run in NC's half waiting for an assist, but McCaskill's pass was all over the place, pointing to some vague no-man's land at the center of NC's half.

Kerr turned to McCaskill and theatrically explained that she was needing more accurate passes. In response, McCaskill walked back to her own half while making a gesture with her arm to Kerr, that was basically meaning "Oooh, stop complaining!".

This scene was quite telling of how much broken down and mentally stressed the team already was by then (in fact soon after they took the third goal, before Half Time).

OL are one of the few clubs in the women's football that could afford signing Kerr at her market value. This doesn't mean that they want to do it and I seriously doubt they will make an actual offer, for the reasons you mentioned (they already have enough high level FWs in their roster to fill up two competitions, national league and Champions' League, including Van de Sanden that you forgot to mention and who just scored on Saturday in French League; not like they actually need reinforcements in other departments, but for sure their offense-line is already packed).

L'orange repped this.
  19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    They could always use another striker just in case one of their top starters gets injured.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure: they already have 5 FWs in their roster that use to be starters in their respective NTs (or would surely be, in the case of Hegerberg who retired from Norwegian NT): Hegerberg, Le Sommer, Parris, Van de Sanden and Cascarino (only marginal one in that sense could be Deplhine Cascarino, who anyway started most of the games for France at the last World Cup).

They already showed that with such a line-up they can easily absorb injuries (recently Van de Sanden, for instance) and, despite having at least three top competitions to play (French League, French National Cup and Champions' League) that could be soon joined by World Cup for clubs, they already have some problems in giving enough playing time to each FW.

You don't sign a Sam Kerr to sit her on the bench half of the matches (and I am not sure she would like that; ok, playing in OL at having a shot at Champions' League is priceless, but Kerr needs to play, to keep her fitness, to break records).

Of course I could be wrong and tomorrow we could hear of Aulas writing down a cheque for 1 million, but I don't think it will happen.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, she's Europe-bound now. I seriously hope the team that gets her knows how to properly use her talents - team playing style can make or break a player, no matter how talented that player is vs. the average talent in the league.

Poor Pity Martinez at Atlanta United comes to mind... He was the South American player of the year, and the Atlanta United as led by Tata Martino played a very South-American-style futbol that would have fit him incredibly well... But then FDB took over for Tata, and Martinez has been riding the bench throughout 2019.

If Kerr's new team doesn't fit her playing style, it'll be the death of her career, and a huge blow to the "competitive" reputation of NWSL.

blissett repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    so far this year, she's been the work horse on two clubs, bringing both of them, all the way to finals along side NT/WC duties. So taking a bit of a break by getting on an overly stacked squad, just might be what the good doctor ordered.
    But it would be best not to take it too easy as Lyon has shown that both their foreign & domestic players, tend to flop at the world stage with their respective NT's. It does seem a bit more than coincidence that since joining Lyon, Hegerberg flopped at the Euros 2017, Marozsan been a step too slow for her NT, van de Sanden loosing her starting spot right in the middle of the WC. The once promising Christiansen not even being picked anymore by the English NT(and the list could go on & on)
    Chelsea was favorite to pick her up & at least the FA is more balanced than the French league, but you got to figure most opponents will still park-the-bus in most of their games. Kerr has gotten a rep for diving vs bunker type defenses.
    Chelsea not in the prestigous Champions League this season, so hence, Lyon & PSG might be better option(if that's what Kerr is seeking)/ All 3 clubs have all ready top central striker's(so she might be stuck with a winger spot instead.
    one other possible choice; the Real Madrid farm team, Tacon, Their currently struggling in their 1st season, but at least it will give Kerr a chance what she does best; run n gun on the counter

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Chicago made full use of Kerr's talents by playing a transition-oriented, counter-attacking style of football. That's the style that is perfect for her. If you play a possession-oriented style, allowing the opponent to get back in numbers, she'll be far less effective--and the same with playing her on the wing. You're not going to get the same goal production if she's on the wing.

Beyond that, I think she'd be a terrible fit at Lyon--and maybe even PSG as well--because they've got excellent players up front right now, and those players are not going to like centering the attack on Kerr. I doubt that other top goal scorers would be keen to feed the ball to Kerr constantly as Chicago did.

IMO Chelsea would be a good fit for her precisely because they've got a very good group of players but are not loaded with superstars up front. They started Beth England and Bachmann up front last game in the FA WSL. Chelsea would, I think, be happy to put Kerr in the middle and help her do her thing. I also think the the WSL is more competitive than the French and Spanish leagues, which are even more top heavy than the English league, so she'd get more interesting games. Real Madrid would be intriguing to me, if I were Kerr--but is that club ready to compete otherwise? I don't think so.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Consider that Chelsea has South Korean Ji So-Yun in the middle as a play-maker, and she's exactly the kind of assist-woman Kerr could thrive on. Beverly Goebel-Yanez won back-to-back Nadeshiko League's Golden Boots, with Ji So-Yun (and some Homare Sawa :whistling:) feeding her.

If Kerr ends at Chelsea, I can smell a Ji-Kerr connection similar to the Nagasato-Kerr one in Chicago.

25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's an detailed analysis of an recent Chelsea game
    FAWSL 2019/20: Chelsea Women vs West Ham Women - Tactical Analysis

somehow don't seem a perfect fit for Sam Kerr's ' screw the rulebook & let me fly, style', lol. But yeah the FA is now the most balance league in Europe as Arsenal got eliminated this week in the Conti Cup by last place, Brighton & Chelsea barely scrapped by 2nd div, Lewes, 2-1

wonder too if coach Emma Hayes wouldn't be under pressure to keep Beth England at center/fwd instead?