The Rio Ferdinand celebration thread!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jan 29, 2007.

1. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Out with the old....It is shame he did not get a proper OT send-off. I will say that to the standard football fan, Vida is on a higher level than Rio.

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed - the average fan would think so. And I understand that there are still those out there that hold the drug test and the Chelsea tap-up against him - but who the hell doesn't make mistakes when they were young? Rio was 12 years younger - 24 years old when he joined. It was incredibly stupid (although the FA had their fair share with the drug test), but ever since then he has never wavered.

There is a distinct lack of class shown here. I know how desperate the club wants to jettison Moyes' memory, the taint of this season, but to lump some of these players in with that memory shows how short a memory some people have in world football.

The Potter repped this.
  3. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was clear to everyone that Vidic was leaving and it was his last game at Home. Decision regarding Rio hadn't been made from either end.

He also still had his Kids as those leading the team out and ambassadors for the Sunderland game, so Giggs organized that as a potential farewell to him. Has had his testimonial last summer too.

Anyway, for all we know Giggs and Evra could end up leaving without a real clear goodbye match as well.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sad about the way the club has treated Rio.

I think outside of Giggs, Rio of our active players was the most qualified to mentor and coach up young talent. Given a game every 10 days, taking it easy in training and focus on coaching, he would have helped us great deal.

5. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The decision was about as "mutual" as Vidas was, only in the other direction.

Also bollocks that the decision wasnt or couldnt have been made a whole four days earlier.

6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    we are such a fustercluck of a club.

7. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol. Apparently his goodbye was being put in charge of the club's Instagram yesterday.

That seems about right for the times.

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  9. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    I have to wonder how much of this sudden and harsh disconnect was some leftover resentment from SAF? Sir Alex has never been a big fan of Rio (as one can see with him never getting the armband), and I would assume that is down to the lifestyle he leads, maybe the drug test thing. It'd be interesting to see if since SAF has been acting in some sort of "GM" role for the club, and Rio being the one who really turned public dogs on Moyes (the line-up announcement issue in early September), this was some final 'judgement call' from Sir Alex.

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Rio got the armband but he was always injured so they took it away. This was before Vidic and after Giggs.

If he didn't like Rio why wouldn't he just sell him?

It was a football decision, imo. Nothing personal or vindictive

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Amdrag and johno repped this.
  12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    nimma, Gnome, benni... and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Happy retirement red legend, hope we see him back at the club in some capacity - his knowledge and most of all his enthusiasm shouldnt go to waste.

Invincible repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he can help mentor Smalling, Jones and McNair or even the U18s or U21s

15. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    The end of an era. I can still remember how excited I was when we signed him back in 02, blond hair and all. :) Memories...

Good luck to him and I agree with @Sofabloke , it'd be great to have him back at the club.

Pulp, benni... and Drae repped this.
  16. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A club legend. The best defender I have ever watched play. Made it seem so smooth. I hope we bring him back as a defensive coach.

17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my all-time favorite players, and the best center back of his generation.

Would love him back at the club once he has cleared his head a bit and had time with his family.

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The best defender in the history of the club for me.

Gnome repped this.
  19. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Longevity over Stam; no personal problems like McGrath, clearly better than Vidic, Pallister, Bruce. Certainly the best in the modern era.

Father Ted, Gnome and Pulp repped this.
  20. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    For me, he was the best centre-half in Manchester United history. He will go down as one of the all-time greats, not just in his position, but in all of football. Such an amazing player who will always be under appreciated.

I will never forget how he dominated his area of the pitch and formed one of the all-time great CB pairings with Nemanja Vidic. It's sad to see him retire as it closes the book on an era of football that I grew up watching. He has won everything in the club game and he has always done it with class. I hope he has a wonderful post-playing career and that his life in retirement is even better than his life as a player was.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    white suit and earring too. then came the braids and the famous top of the pile celebrations

[​IMG]
    i'll find better ones later

Pulp repped this.
  22. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    There needs to be some more respect shown in this thread, to be quite honest.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't think Rio coaches or does anything for now. again given the recent passing of his wife he will probably spend time with his two or three kids. think it's three though

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nice to see that the club tweeted.

From what I have read about him, Rio isn't the kind to retire quietly - he just has too much energy. Plus everyone handles bereavement differently. He still has his Red #5 business and his media work. Just hope that those still at the club who worked with him such as Giggs and SAF and the marketing / MUtv folks keep in contact in case something mutually agreeable can be done.

[​IMG]Manchester UnitedVerified account‏@ManUtd
    One of the best defenders to wear the #mufc shirt. Good luck in your retirement, @rioferdy5: http://bit.ly/1HZpRgI

[​IMG]

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  25. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    averaged just 1 foul every 4.5 matches for United. That is ridiculous.