The Rio Ferdinand celebration thread!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I will kill you.

2. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its official.Here's the link

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...nces-decision-to-leave-Manchester-United.aspx

3. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rio and Vida both together is sad in a way but right time for both to go.

Great player though had some shenanigans.

benni... repped this.
  4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next to Ruud, he is/was my all-time favorite player for the club. What a character, what a career.

5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Always fun trying to define what a legend is. But Rio has to be in the top 4 CBs at this club ever.

6. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i like that we're classy about not renewing deals. letting the players make proactive statements about "new challenges" and all.

7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One last pay-day in the MLS, European football, or back to his West Ham roots?

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the payday could be bigger in the middle East. But I genuinely believe he could still offer something to a top club if used appropriately.

9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of my all time favorites, and the best CB I saw play at the club. I will miss him.

10. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Woodward took out the trash. :cool:

14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't doubt that story at all. Woodward has no tact, I think we've already established that along time ago.

Jon Pall repped this.
  15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Disgraceful if true considering the song and dance they made of Vidic last week at OT.

johno, Amdrag, cr7torossi and 1 other person repped this.
  16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fully agree. It's truly disgraceful - 12 years at this club and you get told in the locker room? I have to wonder if something drastically changed in the last week - for Giggs to not even select him in the OT game really made me think that he was going to get another year.

Regardless, this is truly not how one of the best defenders this club has ever seen should be leaving. After 12 years of service.

Amdrag repped this.
  17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sad to see Vidic and Rio go. They were far and away the best CB pairing in the world in their prime. I have a feeling there is more to this than him deciding to "move on" and seeing as Rio is a tad outspoken, I think we'll know the truth soon enough.

On another note, surely we need at least one CB in this summer and maybe even two unless they decide to promote Keane to 5th choice. Stop wasting time United and get a manager signed to sort this shit out.

18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No big deal. Rios a grown man. Will get a testimonial. Great career. Best United CB of my life time.

Amdrag, sdotsom and cr7torossi repped this.
  19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Best United CB ever for me

johno, Amdrag, Futbol_Head and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    sad to see another one go. loved watching him shut down top attackers with such ease. a shame he didn't get a chance to address the crowd but as terrible as it is we need this.

it's not even refreshing the squad since we need a rebirth. said we needed 2 CBs before any of this was announced. wouldn't be against 3 good ones if we can get at a good price and no i don't trust Smalling or Jones beside Evans or fitness wise currently. hopefully Evans heals completely over the summer

Jon Pall repped this.
  21. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seems quite possible to me that we are going to treat Rio shabbily. If he wasn't going to stay, why did we not say goodbye to him properly as we did with Vida. Vida getting the royal treatment and Rio getting the shaft sticks in my craw. Stupid if so, because its not good for our rep, and Rio may well tell all which will be even worse for our rep (although, if so, woohoo, I would read that book!).

Still hopefully its all just rumor and we give him a testimonial and he leaves the club on good terms. He deserves it. He is a bit of a cheeky devil at times, but that suits our club quite well. Also an amazing CB, without a doubt.

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    rumour?? it's confirmed he is leaving unless you mean something else

23. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The rumor being that woodward gave him the sack in the dressing room.

Cant understand why this wasnt announced weeks ago. There should have been a joint goodbye to Rio and Vida at OT. Would have been fitting given their partnership was really one of sum being greater than the parts.

Do we think Rio will get a second testamonial?

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well yes very sad but at the same time this is the ruthlessness some fans were calling for.

it got rid of Moyes and now Rio and possibly Evra who would then be the 3rd captain of recent years to go (and also without a speech etc) but this is no surprise given how Moyes went.

the first few post Ferguson years were never going to be pretty anyway

25. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rio won't get another testimonial. He got Sevilla. However, for him to not be even in the OT squad for his last game at Old Trafford is truly obscene. We didn't even have to focus on winning our matches this last few months - at the very least we could have given some appropriate goodbyes. I don't want to play favorites between Vida and Rio - but if Vida got all that, how the hell is Rio just allowed to walk away in silence.

JC7rox repped this.