The Random Thoughts About Anything, except VAR, Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Can we save loved ones from Fox News? "I don't know if it's too late or not"
    Jen Senko, director of "The Brainwashing of My Dad," on surviving those Fox News-fueled family gatherings

Since it launched in 1996, Fox News Channel has been one of the most popular cable news networks in the United States. On a given day that approximately 3 million people -- mostly older and almost exclusively white --watch Fox programming. That's more than CNN and MSNBC combined.

These viewers are being fed a steady diet of lies and disinformation in the service of an alternate reality where the facts are rejected in favor of right-wing talking points. Media scholars and other researchers have shown that people who watch Fox News actually know less correct information about current events and other important public matters than people who watch other news networks -- or who do not watch cable news at all.

Fox News also has real political power at the polls: social scientists have concluded that the network helps to mobilize Republican and right-leaning voters.

But Fox News was never about honoring the obligation of the free press to speak truth to power or help the American people make informed decisions about political and social matters. Fox was explicitly designed to parrot the style and narrative of sports talk radio where entertainment and profit-seeking are more important than the truth and the world is divided up between right-wing conservatives (the "good guys" and "the home team") and Democrats, liberals and progressives (the "bad guys" and "the enemy").

In the age of Trump, Fox News has only become more bold and transparent in its partisanship. Although the network initially favored other Republicans in 2016 and was at times openly opposed to Trump, it has become his de facto state-sponsored media, an American Pravda where Trump's war on democracy is cheered on, his leadership is endlessly praised, and white supremacist or eliminationist rhetoric is mainstreamed.

At present, America is highly polarized. We're in the midst of a "cold" civil war that threatens to turn "hot." Fox News is one of the country's primary political arsonists.

Is it possible to free Fox News' viewers and public from its grip? Why are conservatives and so many other Americans enraptured by the network's alternate reality it creates? How are violence and fear-mongering central themes of Fox News? What are some strategies for communicating with relatives, friends and other people -- for example, at holiday gatherings -- who are willingly stuck in the Fox News echo chamber?

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    discussing Trump with a Trump supporter is like trying to have a rational conversation with a Flat Earther.

fact is, they are the ones afflicted with Trump Derangement Syndrome, and they are totally unaware of it.

kinda sad really, and would be extremely amusing if it wasn't terrifying.

delaynomo and usscouse repped this.
  3. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I imagine seeing his hair close up does that to a lot of ppl.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're seriously suggesting that Iran shot down a plane (mostly) full of Iranians and people of Iranian decent?

delaynomo repped this.
  6. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    .......... plus:

1. Iran's greatest anti-US domestic PR is revisiting when US shot down an Iranian jet-liner

2. Domestic pressure had just eased following US drone strike on Suleimani

Makes total logical sense Iran would intentionally shoot down that plane.

Not. :rolleyes:

burning247 repped this.
  7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Iran said today that they did shoot the plane down. Oops big mistake. The guy in charge said they thought Trump had sent a cruise missile in so they took the shot.
    Not trumps fault. He wouldn't do that......Right! he only started it all. The Iranians were on heightened alert after they fired off their missiles. Waiting for Trumps responce.

8. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump didn't start it all.

You're blissfully ignoring decades of animus between Iran and the US. We have no way of knowing how things would have gone if there had not been a coup in the 50s, but the late 70s hostage situation, the Iran-Contra mess, US shooting down the Iran passenger jet in 1988, the the Bush "Axis of Evil" declaration, all of these have stretched tensions to the breaking point with Iran.

Add to that Iran's shooting down the drone in the Strait of Hormuz and you have a recipe for increased conflict.

Soleimani was a bad guy, however you cut it up, and his elimination isn't a bad thing as far as the world is concerned.

Trump didn't start it all.

9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, Trump didn't start everything. However, he did make a decision that kicked off the most recent events.

usscouse repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the fact that many years of crap preceded his self-serving and totally reckless decision is simply not relevant, and sure as hell doesn't absolve him of the guilt he carries.

usscouse repped this.
  11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This! And you know it.

You blissfully trying to throw into the pot every thing that has happened in the Middle East back as far as Alexander when he beat up Iraq and Iran, or Persia. Isn't going to change the fact that Trump needed some sort of confusion for his repugnant allies to deflect the talk away from his lawful impeachment.

It prolly won't get through the senate. They will lie cheat and steal to make a farce of democracy to save that fat Orange arse and their jobs.

Trumps drone attack murdering Soleimani started this round of mayhem, including the killing of 200 civilians, just to wag the dog.

Only it didn't work. He just dug his hole deeper.

12. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    you're pathetic and funny.. you must be more respectful. i swear you know nothing about other countries or nations so you insult them like that.

the italian super cup & coppa italia have been played in countries like China, UAE..etc. and then Saudi Arabia dominating hosting these cups for some seasons now. the same thing comes with the spanish super cup. that's in addition to the biggest match between Brazil and Argentina... that's in addition to many big international occasions and games. i also predict to see one of the English cups final to be hosted by one of the Saudi cities soon. :)

yea it somestimes depends on $$$$$$$$
    look at clubs like Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Sheffield united..... and other teams are all owned by foreign investors..

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why should I respect countries that treat women like shit? I don’t care if the money is there

same as China, fcuk them and Lebron pandering

the prem won’t do that imo.the day it goes, is the day it dies

14. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    what you said is absolutely shit.. and this proves me more that you never know our society and how they treat women. In such muslims community they treat them like jewels and kings.. actually u have zero information about such a country. so don't judge other while you never been among them or live there.

15. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, really

From the NYT:

The structure of the guardianship system, which in many ways mimics the ruler’s power over his subjects, means that individual freedom for women is precarious. Last year, a chilling case came to light when a 29-year-old woman, Maryam al-Otaibi, ran away from home, where she claimed male relatives had abused her. She fled to Riyadh, the capital, but her father — her legal guardian — filed a criminal complaint, saying she had been “disobedient” after he commanded her to return home. She was jailed for more than 100 days before she won the right to break free from him.

thebigman repped this.
  16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ha, that won't happen. The rest of the leagues do it as a money grab and as much as the FA are whores (like the rest), they're also painfully stubborn. Can't see it.

I'm going to just interject with 2 things: 1) you're right, most people shouldn't judge a place unless they've been there. The media likes to stir shit up for the sake of eyeballs. However, 2) come on man...really? That would be like me saying that the USA never had Jim Crow laws. Own it and (if you disagree) express your disgust.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    let's keep political and social commentary to the one thread. No need to permeate the whole of the board.

Yeah, I know. I'll try not to throw stones out of my glass house.

EruditeHobo and SamScouse repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you threw John Stones he’d probably not break anything and fall over instead.

19. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    i don't need to read every word above. but again, i would say media only look for weird stories which happens in any society and any country. so, not every thing to read or hear should be true or fact. and this also should not and never be a real judge on a country which their pupulation is more than 30 to 35 million.

20. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    if i look for disguesting and weird story in the media and newspaper, i'd find so discrimination, Racism, drugs, rapes... and so many crimes spreading in any country or society... and even like treating women or kids badly and so on

i have to stop here.. and goodbye

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Global Gender Gap Report for 2018 had your very women friendly country in place 141 of 149 countries. It's not just a news report, it's coming from the world economic forum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Gender_Gap_Report

Along with the likes of other countries who are all somehow not very strong on women's rights: Yemen, Syria, Chad, Mali, Iran, Lebanon etc. Somehow, they're all predominantly muslim. Coincidence, I guess

Wingtips1 and thebigman repped this.
  22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wrong thread guys ............

SamScouse and usscouse repped this.
  23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't worry - if you get too close you can see right through it ....
    (and probably all the way through his head...)

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    right thread now ;)

SamScouse repped this.
  25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You do realize that that is like saying the anschluss, the annexation of the sudenland, the invasion of Poland and the Grand Lie to Russia have stretched tensions to breaking point with Europe and Germany.

It's true, but only up to a point.

Your statement was also true - up to the point where an amicable agreement was worked on, formulated and instituted. A peaceable solution ...

Which an unthinking fool (and that is ALL he is and will ever be) then ripped up..... for no rational or good reason...