The Question that hurts

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Marco9, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DDR has the potential to be the Matthaus level bust if he goes MLS. He has struggled to care on a consistent basis for Roma. No chance he puts in good shifts for an MLS club.

Falvo doesn't believe in signing anyone over the age of 25 anyway. He also doesn't believe in merchandise sales and brand exposure, not that I'd expect DDR to boost either of those things.

I have a drinking game idea if he does go to MLS: shots every time commentary mentions the 06 WC incident with McBride.

shiboboo repped this.
  2. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    De Rossi to snub MLS for Roma
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daniele De Rossi is ready to reject an offer from New York City FC and MLS to extend his contract with Roma.

According to Eurosport, the 33-year-old midfielder has decided to continue for at least one more year in Serie A with his beloved hometown club.

It’s reported he was directly approached by former Italy teammate Andrea Pirlo for a spell in Major League Soccer.

However, DDR’s fine performances this season have convinced him to carry on in the Giallorossi jersey.

He’d reduce his current salary from €6.5m per year to just €3m including bonuses.

The length of the deal is believed to be for two years with an option for a third.

His contract is due to expire at the end of this season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Couldnt ask for more tbh

romanista8910 and shiboboo repped this.
  3. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The headline should've read "De Rossi refuses to retire with Pirlo"

A measly three million after taxes. How will be pay for all of the booze?

BobanFan and Oban14 repped this.
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I know all the focus is (rightly) on Totti this weekend. But I can't get out of my head that this may be De Rossi's end as well. Surely, we are gonna get something done and the Inter (or any other rumors) of the past weeks are just agents pulling for leverage and journalists dying for clicks, right?

Totti's end, we knew was coming this year...and probably rightly so. De Rossi, I can't stomach seeing him leave without a proper farewell. We need to get this done.

Marco9 and romanista8910 repped this.
  5. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Great point and something I had forgotten about. Surely we can't lose Totti and De Rossi at the same time...

6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DDR can pound sand. He has been bleeding Roma for years, now he's trying to do it again. 3 mil max, if Inter want to pay him more let him go

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Are we sure Roma is even offering that much?

8. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last rumor I heard was Inter offered him 4.5 mil and Roma had raised their offer to 3.5

hangthadj repped this.
  9. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Up until Sunday I thought there would be something poetic avout Daniele retiring at the same time as il Capitano. However after seeing Totti go I don't want to lose another massive part of this club, watching Totti's farewell and seeing the emotion made me remember why this club is so special. We should not take what we have in De Rossi for granted, he still has a lot to give this team on the field.

Roma amor

romanista8910 and Marco9 repped this.
  10. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are a very lucky to have been destined into this amazing family. We offer something much different than any other club. Dr Rossi needs to retire here...then Florenzi...and on and on.

Marco9 repped this.
  11. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like DDR will be signing on for a couple more years. I wonder if he will remain as a DM or if maybe he can transition into a CB position.

12. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shiboboo, wm72 and romanista8910 repped this.
  13. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Im a bit more relieved now

romanista8910 repped this.
  14. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Excited to see Monchi be decisive but I will wait until I see the pdf on DDR. Sabatini made everything a long and drawn out ordeal feeding the drama hungry Roma fanbase. I will not miss that about Sabatini!

Java65 repped this.
  15. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that its official does DDR wear #10? I think he should.

16. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Absolutely not. They are 2 different players with immense history but to each their own and the same goes to their jersey number

Andreas, Shen-O, shiboboo and 2 others repped this.
  17. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, DDR and the 16 are like PB&J.

Quantum and hangthadj repped this.
  18. Quantum

Quantum Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Agreed. I know a lot of amateur/rec players who play DM, myself included, that picked jersey number 16 because of him. And many of them aren't Roma fans, but admire him as a player.

ErPupone and Midfield General repped this.
  19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bringing back an old thread here, so apologies. But it is DDR's birthday and I didn't think that these thought's warranted a full new.

Daniele is 35 today. He is the captain of Roma. He seemed to have earned the trust of EDF last season. Like the past several season's Roma fans seem split on his performance last season. I think he was very good, though he did have a few poor performances, as will happen to any player in their mid 30's.

Going into this season I can't help but wonder how EDF will use Daniele. He was clearly a first choice starter all last season. I'm not sure that is a given this year. At any rate, he is certain to be rotated more this season, another year older. We have depth and options in midfield beyond just Gonalons now. You could see Cristante or Pellegrini spelling him from time to time. Perhaps, even Strootman as we shift the midfield. And there has even been talk of Coric as his understudy.

DDR is my favorite Roma player, even more so than Totti. I admit my fandom clouds my visions at points. I'm curious how others see his role this season, and if anyone thinks this may be his swansong.

20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see DDR being rotated more, it looks like we are going to have 7 CM and at 35 I'd save him for the big games.

I can't see them renewing his contract that up next June. I know there has been talk about him going to MLS but I'm going to go out on a limb and think he goes to Japan where he has stated several times he likes it there.

21. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired

Perotti: Will this be your last birthday as a Roma player?
    DDR: I'm ready to renew.

Andreas repped this.
  22. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Java65, shiboboo and Midfield General repped this.
  23. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    This thread is hilarious.

24. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RomaWolf, Java65 and Marco9 repped this.