The Post-Fact Society

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was interesting IMO, I guess we can not say it is because people are dumb.

But this seems to be key, evidence over gut feeling.

https://qz.com/1124046/why-millions-of-americans-believe-things-that-arent-true/

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A side note on that baseball and bat question, which I show below. Business schools love that question. Because - 1) Most students get it wrong, and 2) None of them would have done so if they would have checked their answers.

A good way to teach humility, and to show how so many stupid-ass things get done and said because people are overconfident in their thinking ability, and don't bother to test their thinking.

BATBALL
    A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

(Only 13% of U.S. adults got that one right. More MBA students do, but nothing like a majority.)

ceezmad repped this.
  3. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Hmm - math is hard.

x + (x + 1.00) = 1.10
    x + x + 1.00 = 1.10
    2x + 1.00 = 1.10
    2x = 1.10 - 1.00
    2x = 0.10
    x = 0.05

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Would you do that if asked the question, or just blurt out "one dollar" and "ten cents" because that is what immediately comes to mind?

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you really put that much work into it? I immediately knew the answer.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had an engineer ask me this question a few years ago during a college football party. Told me he wanted to know what kind of engineer I'd be*... After answering correctly, I told him that it made no sense to ask somebody who was several beers into the night a question and then try to extrapolate anything from the answer. I figured even a geek virgin knows that, and I told him so. I mean, as soon as you hear "A bat and a ball cost...", you're already kinda doing the math, because the obvious answer is often the one that trips you up when somebody wants to play Gotcha.

*Can you tell I live in a town that's saturated with these guys? I mean, I'm not for kicking sand in anybody's face, but being top of your Space Camp class isn't going to help you with the ladies.

crazypete13 repped this.
  7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Actually - that was exactly what I thought first. But I’ve learned to not trust my initial response with math problems.

After realizing my first thought was wrong I figured it out in no time - but per John’s comment, I did the calculation.

American Brummie repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He's not as smart as you. Either that, or he was showing how the problem is formally solved.

OK, per his comment, I gotta go with the latter.

dapip and crazypete13 repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And those in the 13% would be more more bias on Climate change and such at least that is what I got from the article, so it is the people that can get it right that are more skeptical.

BTW some more questions.

upload_2018-8-14_12-40-7.png

http://journal.sjdm.org/13/13313/jdm13313.html

BTW, no way in hell I can read that study, I tried skimming it and going to the summary, I was way lost.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Reported

Auriaprottu, chaski, roby and 3 others repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5, we did this, 47.

crazypete13 repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lilypad was the easiest to me, the first 2 the easy answer was the first thing that came to my head, so if they were random questions asked out of the blue and I had to respond the first thing that came to my head I would have been wrong.

crazypete13 repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just came across this on Twitter, but sometimes we do believe fake "doctors"

Have you ever heard of homeopathic asthma medicine? Or other.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/fa...-chiropractors-homeopaths-and-acupuncturists/

14. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Also, not everyone here is a mathlete like Superdave, so writing it out long form was my attempt to help there

Technically there was an initial definition step I skipped.

x + y = 1.10 and y = x + 1.00

15. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I'm an engineer and I find things are much easier for me to grasp when I see them in front of me. I prefer writing down calculations to solve a problem over trying to do it in my head.

Also, I don't trust my head.

JohnR, Timon19 and crazypete13 repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I wasn't an engineer but I worked played as one the last 10 yrs before retirement. :whistling:

dapip repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can write down the easy ones but if they get tricky I have to intuit my way to the answer. I know that sounds backward but I was an English major, and we think differently. (Plus I am old and have forgotten much of my formal math.)

Like this SAT problem. Had to do solve it in my head. Once I did that, I realized how to write it down -- and how damn obvious that was. :(

crazypete13 repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1/2. It's obvious that the "mean mean" is 2 parts the high group and 1 part the low group.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spot on conceptually, but not so good with subtraction.

Pønch and crazypete13 repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    crazypete13 repped this.
  21. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It’s basically the relationship of: (92-86)/(86-70). So 6/16 or 3/8.

taosjohn repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep. I can see why the problem would scare non-math people -- it not only has three numbers, but two letters. But the concept is straightforward.

taosjohn and crazypete13 repped this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate fractions.

24. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    That's the issue summarized, isn't it? What separates those answering wrong vs right is the degree to which somebody is willing to ask themselves if this makes sense before they answer. I think everyone trying to do this in a simple manner instinctively thinks $1.00/$0.10. If you take even a brief moment, it's obviously wrong by 10 cents, so leave a nickel, take a nickel and get the right answer.

This is a similar question I remember getting as a kid that plays on superficial intuition:

You're making a 2 mile trip. You averaged 30mph for the first mile. How fast do you need to go for the second mile to average 60 mph for the entire trip?

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What difference does it make? They're obviously cheap, Chinese-made pieces of shit that have no place soiling the honor of the All-American pastime...

stanger, Chicago76, roby and 1 other person repped this.