The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    English eligible players starting in the Premier League, total per matchday:

Matchday 1 - 83/220 = 37.7%

Matchday 2 - 74/220 = 33.6%

Matchday 3 - 75/220 = 34.09%

Matchday 4 - 74/220 = 33.6%

Matchday 5 - 75/220 = 34.09%

Matchday 6 - 69/220 = 31.36%

Matchday 7 - 76/220 = 34.54%

Matchday 8 - 73/220 = 33.18%

Matchday 9 - 77/220 = 35%

Matchday 10 - 75/220 = 34.09%

2. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Doyle making it would be very welcome from England's perspective. It's absolutely crucial we find a deeper midfielder who's good on the ball, otherwise we'll get nowhere despite our forward line.

ht_hu96 repped this.
  3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #1903 TopBanana10, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Things are beginning to change. If you watch some of the age group teams - Garner, Doyle, Gomes, Patino and Bellingham have all been encouraged to build from deep in the matches I have seen.

Jenks, JRSG, Juni and a few others are more knowledgable than me on this though.

ht_hu96 repped this.
  4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    That’s the biggest issue with the senior team in my opinion. Ideally someone who is comfortable when pressed, can turn and pass between the lines - getting our creative players on the ball.

5. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Yeah I've heard good things about Patino for that position and there's actually a good highlight reel of him on YouTube now where he looks very good on the ball. Comfortable receiving in tight areas and difficult positions but then able to turn or change direction and either burst forward a few yards or play a forward pass to build momentum. This is exactly the type of silky, cultured player we lack in the seniors for that position. I was also very impressed by Garner's cameo the other day even if he was coming into an easy situation with United cruising and playing arguably the worst side in the league. As again, he looked comfortable receiving the ball when marked or in tight areas and then finding teammates with precise, accurate passes. As for Gomes, I love watching him as the ball just sticks to his feet and he's so tricky. Just hope he gets more chances. I've often thought that a loan to Spain would be best for someone like him. God forbid United send him on loan to the medieval, hoofball culture of the championship.

I think as a country, this is the final piece of the jigsaw we are missing in terms of totally modernising our philosophy. We are producing ball playing centre backs, good attacking midfielders, fantastic forwards, attacking fullbacks. We just need some of these guys to come through and we'll be very well set.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sure, but what's the betting that, say, Garner goes on loan and gets played in a more advanced position because he's skilful but inexperienced?

7. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Hoping to see some young sides in the cup tonight. Think Liverpool and United are planning on playing the kids whilst Chelsea do anyway. Don't have too much hope Arsenal will though, think Emery is under so much pressure and toxicity from the Arsenal fanbase that he needs a result and will want to play it safe. Tbh I am actually the least excited/underwhelmed by Arsenal's youth along with Tottenham's. I think for United, Greenwood and Garner look very exciting, whilst for Liverpool, Elliott has impressed me even if he's a bit of an idiot off the pitch at times. Thought he did well against MK Dons in the last round. Brewster's Liverpool career has been disappointing thus far but he has had a bad injury and does still have a great pedigree having been part of the 2000s. Whilst City have obvs got the likes of Foden, THB, Doyle etc. Chelsea's need no introduction either of course.

I am more excited by the Arsenal player's to come such as Patino.

8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I doubt Greenwood will play because he played the 90 in the EFL trophy last night and did this in the dying minutes

The word is that Garner and Williams will play for United.

As an aside, United have won 3/3 in the EFL trophy now which is impressive given how other top academies have crashed out.

9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    A bit harsh... Willock, Saka and Smith Rowe all have something.

10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    That goal meant an awful lot to that lad.

11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Think it relieved a bit of pressure after a few poor displays for the first team.

12. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I don't get this plural in terms of several poor displays. He was poor against Alkmaar in the EL a few weeks ago. However, hasn't he generally been pretty good on the other occasions he's featured? I thought he was good against Rochdale for instance and Cardiff in the final game of last season.

United fans also seem to say he's had a few poor displays but other than that game a few weeks back I can't remember him having any other anonymous/ineffective displays. Correct me if I'm wrong mind as maybe I'm missing some games he played in.

13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He’s been pretty poor in most of his Premier League outings this season. He came on against Norwich and was getting muscled off the ball far too easily, he had decent chance at the end that he hit straight at the keeper. He played last night to give him a break from the seniors I think as there was too much pressure on him and it was showing. His touch had been very poor also but it could be a growing pains thing.

14. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    I think it's actually because his nan passed away.

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    fair enough. I didn’t hear that.

16. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Fairs, tbh if a player is getting outmuscled I'm never that worried as strength is a fixable issue and will improve with time. Touch or any technical deficiencies are a bit worrying mind as ideally they should be perfect by the time a player is making their first team debut.

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He's been very disappointing in his all-round play whenever I've watched him in the first team, other than that game he had at the end of last season I believe it was. He's looked almost useless in anything other than shooting positions this season.

18. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Adam lallana in a holding midfield role. Love it.

19. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    I was at the city game last night and I’ve gotta say Doyle was fantastic. Very elegant on the ball, aggressive and some nice passing.

It’s great for us at the minute in terms of local English players. Foden, Doyle and harwood bellis looking very good

20. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    That was a great game. Really liked Curtis Jones when he came on, he could be a fantastic midfielder. Also cool penalty in the end.

Sam1010 and David Hurford repped this.
  21. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Future Senior England International was a game changer today for Liverpool.

David Hurford and hussar repped this.
  22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Taylor Perry with an assist in Wolves' loss to Villa.

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Its not a worry because he has a great touch in the youth teams. It’s a confidence thing I think. Ole put too much pressure on him by say he was the best finisher he’d ever seen etc. I think and when Martial was injured he was expected to do something because there was no one else. It was a bad situation and he struggled. It could be growing pains too because he’s falling over a lot also. Rashford had a similar spell.

ht_hu96 repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    English eligible players starting in the Premier League, total per matchday:

Matchday 1 - 83/220 = 37.7%

Matchday 2 - 74/220 = 33.6%

Matchday 3 - 75/220 = 34.09%

Matchday 4 - 74/220 = 33.6%

Matchday 5 - 75/220 = 34.09%

Matchday 6 - 69/220 = 31.36%

Matchday 7 - 76/220 = 34.54%

Matchday 8 - 73/220 = 33.18%

Matchday 9 - 77/220 = 35%

Matchday 10 - 75/220 = 34.09%

Matchday 11 - 71/220 = 32.27%

25. Marcho Gamgee