The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    These are just a bit of fun I guess. Brazil, France, Germany, Italy and Spain all range from 3-5 players. Holland probably could say they deserve more than 2 also.

Maybe Rogers or Gelhardt could have been added ?

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah that’s fair enough and guess because we didn’t do well last years Euro’s our recognition will be less compared to others like France, Italy etc but the Dutch only have two could be debated.

3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Rather Bellingham.

4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    He's an 03.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wonder who will win, gonna guess it’s between Sancho, De Ligt and Felix?

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    De Ligt most likely.

8. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    De Ligt won't win, that award has never gone to the same player two years in a row. Mbappe was much better last year than he was the year he won the award and still didn't get it.

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Probably will be de Ligt. Personal and leadership pov in a successful team.

Think Kai Havertz should also come into the equation. Been performing in senior football for a little while now.

10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I was going to say, yeah. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he wins.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    England players aged 22 & under:

Alexander-Arnold
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Abraham
    Mount
    Foden
    Hudson-Odoi
    Nketiah
    Tomori
    Maddison
    Nelson
    Sessegnon
    Wan-Bissaka
    Lookman
    Gibbs-White
    Rice
    Chilwell
    Gomez
    Willock
    McNeil
    James
    Brewster
    Saka
    Greenwood
    Godfrey

Who am I missing of top level talent that could play for the seniors within a few years of the U21’s?

Just been looking at some our our talents that someone put up on twitter earlier and I know some are already involved with the seniors but I think we’re going to have something of a logjam in our U21’s in the near future and could make them very strong as once these players get past the U21’s, it’s going to be tough for the younger generations to get past them ( hopefully ). Having a U21 squad full of young Premier League level players not being able to break into the senior set up, similar to the way France, Germany and Spain etc do things unless your an exceptional talent or in a position that we are thin in quality like defensive midfield for example. Someone like Reece James could easily become first choice right back for Chelsea very soon but only playing for the U21’s for the foreseeable future. That would have been unheard of a few years ago but will make us stronger without the need to be promoted due to TAA, Trippier, AWB, Walker already seniors and not even mentioned Aarons who will be competing with James. Obviously right back is a very strong position but hopefully other positions will follow suit so we have a greater strength in depth.

I guess a downside would be that we might lose more Dual National players as other Nations can give them senior football a lot quicker.

Does anyone else see this sort of thing happening or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I expect the general level of U21 player to be much higher than in the past. Basically a post-2000 effect.

99 + 98 has some talent but it feels like the depth of 2000 onwards is on another level.

We’ve been pretty bad at keeping players in the U21s for long in recent years. Either they drop out because of club stuff or they are promoted too early. Would be nice if someone like Guehi is there for 4 years. The Milner 46 cap record is obviously a freak, but we didn’t get anyone near 30 in the last campaign. Gray was mid 20s and he was the type of player who, like Redmond before him, was lucky to keep his spot by the end.

If the Redmond or Gray of this group is Reiss Nelson, then in itself, that shows the step forward that’s been taken.

Gomes, Smith-Rowe, Bogle, Aarons, Panzo, Guehi, Brewster would be guys who I’d expect to be capped in this cycle and still possibly be there in 2023.

13. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    It seems a lot of posters want to replace players with the youngsters and write them off once they get to about 25 so we need to keep producing talent!!

14. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nothing wrong whatsoever with having a strong and experienced U21 squad for 3-4 years, especially with a competitive senior squad. It only serves to improve the pipeline of talent coming through.

15. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Would be nice in a few years time to add some players to the senior pool with 25+ under-21 caps and coming off the back of two successful tournaments.

David Hurford repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    “Successful tournaments? I’m not going anywhere. You’ll have to carry me out if you want that.”
    [​IMG]

wellno, dbs235 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Papers linking Palace with Nathan Ferguson to be the AWB replacement.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Y'see, the way the world is now I have to ask, IS that a real quote? :eek:

:giggle:

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  20. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    David Hurford repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Encouraging but the pessimism in me keeps saying wait until January and many Premier League teams will just go to the transfer market and buy players in from abroad thus limiting our young English players game time and we will see a decrease. I hope that’s not going to be the case though.

On another note, if the data is correct, it must be a concern for Germany and Spain, which I found surprising.

22. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017

Interesting to project that out to the 2022 wc, which ive always seen as our best chance for success. Thats when those figures will really hurt

23. Sam1010

Sam1010 Member

Charlton
    England
    Apr 10, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the more players follow the lead of Sancho, the more the numbers will increase here as well, the number one thing on the minds of clubs is the bottom line, more teams will play their young players if only to protect themselves from a potential loss

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    A bit off topic but which countries could objectively be considered stronger than us in the U17 - U21 eligibility range?

25. Sam1010

Sam1010 Member

Charlton
    England
    Apr 10, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It kind of depends, a lot more of the best players in that age range for other countries are playing against men regularly.

TopBanana10 repped this.