The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Had Sancho stayed, he'd have been more ready for first team football than Foden.

2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Maybe. But Guardiola has been quite clear over the last 18 months that Foden was ahead in his mind. With limited minutes available to one as it is at City, it's best that Sancho went elsewhere. That's before you consider that it seems like Brahim was ahead of Sancho too.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sancho wanting to be away would have changed everything. Bobby Duncan hasn't played all season for the u18s but only, one would have to assume, because he wants a move, as well.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    City isn't looking such a bad place for Foden to develop his football talents. Training with the best side in the country every day and coached by "The Master".

By the way Foden's just been awarded The Young Sports Personality of the Year Award.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was interested to hear last night that Man City's Spanish youngster, Diaz, went a year prioritising using his left foot in order to improve it. Didn't say at what stage of his career, but coaches should be encouraging players to be at least proficient with either foot, from an early age.

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/sports/soccer/premier-league-england.html

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    These lists are always a bit silly but if they are well done I like them
    inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2017/12/26/ibwm100-for-2018

There is a large English contingent this year

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I think they could have easily and justifiably made that list of English players quite a bit longer myself, even if only France and Brazil had more players named. They've only named one player from the U17 WC squad, one player from the U19 Euros squad and zero players from the U20 WC squad. The very talented/high profile omissions include Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Solanke, Alexander-Arnold, Tom Davies, Sancho...

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess the argument would be that most of those players won't turn 21 next year and have future chances to be included. But yeah if I see your point, Solanke was the top scorer at the WYC, I suspect if he was any other nationality in this scenario he would have been included and I suspect if Sancho would have stayed in India he would have been included too.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What list is this?

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Alert - There is a documentary about young players trying to make it in academies tonight (Sunday), on BT Sports at 6.30, called No Hunger in Paradise.

12. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wenger gave some youngsters (and fringe players) a game today in the FA Cup. But as they lost, he'll be getting it in the neck now, from pundits and fans alike.

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  16. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Odd, as Diaz is naturally left footed and rarely uses his right foot even when he should

17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He took a penalty against us right-footed last season.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, I think you're misremembering here, Sharpovic. I couldn't tell you which foot he prefers but he certainly used both feet quite a bit against Leicester last month:

19. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Ok my mistake. Didn't see that game, maybe the games I saw were during the year he decided to only use his left foot.

20. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On the subject of poor technique (ridiculous one-footedness, to be exact), anyone see the third goal conceded by Liverpool? What the ******** was the defender doing - he made no attempt to just kick the ball away with his (appropriate) left-foot. And yet I didn't hear even one analyst make a peep about it.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not sure what the percentage of English players starting for Prem teams is at the moment but it feels like the numbers are dwindling. Most coaches seem to stack the English talents on the bench.

22. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    True that. I find this season firmly depressing - there is not a single English youngster who broke in. If there is one, he gets injured in a minute, like Winks, Hughes or Loftus-Cheek, all of them have been crocked since months now.

23. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Joe Gomez has broken in, although it's for the second time after his lengthy injury curtailed the first break through. Lewis Cook sort of too, he got a short run of games at the end of last season but force himself into the reckoning again this.

Further afield Reece Oxford (just about pre recall) and Jadon Sancho look like having broken through in the Bundesliga and Mount is doing well in the Netherlands. It's going to suck when Mount ends up bench warming for a Championship club next season.

ChristianSur repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Surely not, Mason Mount is too good to be bench warming for a Championship team! Then again if he gets lumbered with some dinosaurs like Pullis or Warnock then maybe you could be right.

25. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Lewis Baker is too good to be bench warming for a Championship team too but here we are. Baker also spent a season in the Chelsea first team squad without ever playing so maybe it'll be Mount's turn to join that little club, who knows?

I forgot about Jonjoe Kenny earlier - he can be added to the list with no caveats.