The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Indeed, was a reason I posted it because I thought it was funny. I mean really how can Dozzell and Brewster be considered losers when all that has happened is they have been very unlucky with injuries. Sounds very harsh to me but ok, they can't be in the winners but I just wouldn't have categorised those two, maybe added special mention at the end. Dowell a loser also? All in all I think he's had a very good season at Forset. 31 appearances and 9 goals from midfield isn't bad at all.

JRSG repped this.
  2. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Don't really see what makes McEachran a winner but Gallagher a loser:

"He has played once for the Under-23 team this season, with the majority of his game time coming at Under-18 level."

vs

"but limited to Under-18 football at club level this season. The next test in the production line comes when trying to make the leap to the Under-23 squad"

3. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Yeah. McEachran being a winner with only one U23 appearance while Brewster was a loser despite regular games at that level was the one that jumped out to me before I stopped reading.

4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
  5. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Full list of who went where when Huddersfield shut their academy.

975811596852383744 is not a valid tweet id

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    at the same time, Brentford's Mepham has made his Wales debut. They'll claim that as a win for their 'B team' model alongside Balcombe starting for the U19s. Despite both coming through their academy system at some point.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    http://www.football365.com/news/supporting-england-in-defence-of-hope

Some encouraging signs:

If the nagging question has always surrounded the development of our young players at first-team level, there is also room for cheer. A year ago, Keith Downing picked a full-strength Under-19 squad that had 70 league appearances shared between them. His latest squad has 125 league appearances.

At Under-21 level, the same picture. Aidy Boothroyd’s squad from a year ago would eventually make 154 top-flight league starts in 2016/17. The current squad has already surpassed that figure in 2017/18, and in addition contains Championship star players in Ryan Sessegnon, James Maddison and Joe Worrall.

AJ123 and ChristianSur repped this.
  8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Sancho was lively when he came on as a sub for Dortmund today, looked good on the ball and involved in a few attacking moves in the short period.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't really have a problem with that - at this stage - he's got big youth matches
    coming up soon.

12. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    kbarrett2316 repped this.
  14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Even these meaningless last round matches none of the PL clubs give chances for their youngsters. Disappointing though not surprising.

15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's come to a stage where the more young talents cutting their teeth in Germany the better.

Brewster & Panzo (I think) the latest rejecting contract offers due to interest.

Just have a look at what Lookman is doing.

Championship clubs also producing & trusting their own talent so less need for loans amongst the traditional clubs there.

kbarrett2316 and hussar repped this.
  16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Walker-Peters the exception. It is disappointing though, I agree.

17. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Solanke starting and assisting the opening goal in one of the weekend's few non dead rubbers. But still disappointing around the grounds.

David Hurford repped this.
  18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Even that is frustrating for different reasons.

Suppose other positives are Solanke and Rashford but we talking 97s here. They 21 this year.

Still no Abraham for Swansea disappointing.

Choudhury done well for Leicester but back to the bench.

19. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    He's only playing because of the injuries of Trippier and Aurier. But yes, we have to appreciate these kind of chances too.

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Leko back on the bench for WBA. Ndukwu + Sam Hughes for Leicester. Not sure there's any other 'new' faces in other squads today though.

21. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nice goal for Solanke. So desperately needed that.

Just shows you that not all young players can come in from word go but the patience , trust and belief of Klopp is just the trick.

hussar repped this.
  22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    As the club season comes to a close what players would people highlight as having had a year stalled by limited opportunity? Lewis Baker is the first that comes to mind for me

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Off the top of my head -
    KWP
    Harvey Barnes
    Tayo Edun
    Solanke
    Abraham
    Onomah

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I would add Jack Harrison ( granted only since Jan but hardly played, complete waste of time ) and Kasey Palmer

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Young players need to show their worth from the off. Klopp's patience will be running thin. Solanke will need a lot more than one goal in his next 28 appearances. He'll need to start to justify being given opportunities pdq.

I was surprised how much patience Wenger had with Maitland- Niles over a lengthy period.