The Parent Try Out

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Sep 24, 2015.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Anyone heard of this yet?

Coaches of youth clubs meeting with parents in order to gauge whether they (parents) will be good for the team/club?

I suppose this is a means to root out the cancerous parents (which we all have had to endure).

I understand that colleges are now as well looking at this method.

So - anyone experience or heard of it yet?

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Hadn't heard of it, but I love it.

The last few college games I've attended have featured a steady stream of nonsense shouted from the parents. You'd think having kids excel in the sport for several years would make something sink into their brains, but apparently not.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. ScottyMU

ScottyMU Member

May 1, 2013
    Ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's a brilliant idea, but I'd love to see how it works in practice. A meeting is one thing, but seeing how parents act in a game situation can be completely different. I'm with Beau on this. One of my daughter's HS teammates last year had played for years and ended up being co-player of the year for their league. Her dad attended all the games and still couldn't tell what was offsides (ok, many can't) and believed that any time a player fell to the floor, it was a foul. But that didn't stop him from yelling constantly.

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mixed feeling…

In theory, I get where it is coming from and how it’s trying to be a good idea…

YET, it sounds elitist as hell…and I tend to think it’s an overthought and over executed answer to a rather small problem (relatively speaking)…

Clubs/team should better teach proper parental behavior and actually confront and deal with individuals who can’t or refuse to meet expected standards…

5. us#1by2006

us#1by2006 Member

Jun 21, 2002
    #5 us#1by2006, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    This is nothing new. I helped my father with try-outs for a club team in the early 1990s...25 years ago. He shared that the family dynamics were as important as the technical skills when evaluating players.

There was one player who couldn't be good enough to make the team given the toxicity the family brought. It was also a consideration on the other side - a borderline kid from a great family who brought positivity and weren't just 'takers' might have a push in his/her favor.

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am not sure why you would consider or think it's elitist in anyway. The point is not to keep out those who are not elite but instead those who may be a potential cancer to a team.

I think we all have been there - on that team with that parent who is constantly yelling - sometimes at your kid.

I do agree however - that clubs should be instilling a sense of respect in parents - educating them to learn from the happiness of their player alongside their individual progression of skill and passion for the game - away from just wins vs loses.

So while I see where it can work, I also see that a club which holds this issue with high regard, can ultimately reach the same result while educating parents at the same time.

7. ScottyMU

ScottyMU Member

May 1, 2013
    Ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm sure that most clubs have a parent code of conduct that needs to be signed and most parents only casually look it over before signing. Funny story, though. When my U13 daughter started playing at U11 with her current club, she took the time to read it over. Originally, there were a list of rules (contact with coaches, punctuality, etc.) and rule #13 surrounded parent coaching from the sidelines. If I had a nickel for every time I heard her say "Rule 13, dad" I could be retired by now!! Even today, she'll bring it up about so-and-so's dad not living by rule 13.

I have advocated a one hour parent training class on basic rules and tactics before each season, which may be more palatable than "trying out" parents. It seems like a small amount of time for the club to invest in order to avoid potential parent issues down the road.

mwulf67 repped this.
  8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my younger son is U-18; there are STILL parents yelling stupid stuff, complaining about the ref, etc.

They never learn, and they never grow out of it.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with truly cancerous parents, though, is that they aren't always the yellers.

They're the ones who start whispering campaigns on the sidelines. Or constantly find a way to turn a conversation about how the game is going into a talk about "weaker" players. Etc.

The yellers are obnoxious, but in my experience the truly cancerous parents are more devious and low-key.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The ones that explore options at other clubs for their kid (while the season is going on) and then trying to recruit the 6 players better than their kid to go with them to make a truly great team.

11. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Parental interviews sounds like something elite daycare centers/prep schools/etc. do to, you know, make sure only the right kind of people are let in…I understand the good intentions behind such a suggestion; I just think the perception is going to be quite different…

Yeah, we’ve all seen it that parent…hell, I’ll even take it further, and said many us have probably been that parent to some extent at one time or another…I don’t think we should coddle or excuse such behavior, but I am not sure we should expect prefect behavior right out of the gate…I guess I prefer an educational over a barrier approach to this problem…

Yes, yelling from the sidelines is bad, annoying, and can be cancerous, and so are a lot of other parental behavior that is lot more subtle and less obvious, and are just, if not more cancerous to a team…

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible, though, that merely HAVING a parental screening process could have a good effect. Set a tone/establish expectations; that sort of thign.

13. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Perhaps, but I would still prefer a mandatory parental educational class to set the tone…far more practical than some kind of individual screening process…

And I still think you are inviting a PR nightmare with such a screening process…

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think more refs should take a harder line on parents yelling at them or even in general when it is overly negative.

Maybe a discussion with the coach during half time or after the game.

That said my older u17 has had NASTY games with opposing parents yelling everything under the sun. IMO refs should stop the game and warn the parents. Next is another stoppage with the guilty parties being sent to the parking lot before play continues and along with it a final warning that if the nonsense continues their team will forfeit the match.

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes this as well. I suppose maybe these screenings have a way of fishing them out but frankly I am not sure how.

Eventually word gets around though and the coach/club can and should do something about it IMO.

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I would as well.

But some clubs do not have the resources.

Some clubs are also on about winning but yet don't want parents who want to be like tha
    I don't agree with the nightmare - just the opposite in fact (IMO).

But I do agree more time needs to be spent on parent conduct meetings at the start of the season along with monitoring of what's going on - on the sidelines from the coaches.

That does work but the expectation has to be clear and the reactions of the coaches to these issues must be consistent... In other words you cannot say "We'll bench the players of parents who conduct themselves poorly" and then not bench the best players with poor behaving parents because you want to win the game(s).

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    As a ref, I've always been tempted to jog over to the sidelines at tell the parents "You might want to take it down a few notches, because, even though you can't hear it, the players are saying to one another "I wish they would shut up already."

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I wish more of you would.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't have a problem doing it, but I cannot antagonize them. I need to remain professional and ask/tell/dismiss etc. It takes all my power not to be a wise-ass back to them.

My bigger point is, i don't care what they are saying. Really I don't. But the players CRINGE when they hear an adult getting on the referee or making stupid comments. Their yelling has zero effect on me, but it is outright detrimental to the players that they are yelling in 'support of (especially a female team).

20. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Coaches…nuts…many times they’re the worst offenders…just this weekend up in Chicagoland, I saw an opposing coach throw his chair in anger at his own players (not at at his players) and another coach who loudly berated the ref and demanded a Yellow Card after every single foul…just normal playing hard fouls; it was ridiculous …and yet not so ironically, it was some of his players who end playing cheap and dirty, and ended up with only YC’s of the game and a parent ejected…

21. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In a rather heated game with weekend…more off the field, then on…at one point I saw my son (CB) talking and laughing with an opposing Forward…after the game, I asked my son what that was all about…he said, as I somewhat expected, they were talking/joking about how the parents on sideline were carrying on…

Beau Dure and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Exactly. More than the color of jerseys, age brings people together. Two opposing players will equally mock the person 30 years older than them yelling from the stands.

tuffnut11 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son apologized to an opposing player, during a State Cup game, for something one of his (my son's) teammate's father said to the kid.

He was embarrassed. A 17 year-old kid embarrassed for something a grown adult said.

Sports parents are the worst. I've made mistakes, but I'm pretty sure my son has never felt compelled to apologize for me.

Beau Dure and mwulf67 repped this.
  24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Over-30 7v7 league plays after travel practice; one night a bunch of HS -aged players hung out at the parking lot after their practice and mockingly yelled all the stuff adults have been yelling at them for years at us. They were obviously having a good time turning the tables, so to speak.

Beau Dure, mwulf67 and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    One of many great PSAs on this topic from Hockey Canada: